Top Shelf Aquatics

Genie's First Reef!

Genie382

Thanks! I was a bit wary about adding in a coral banded shrimp (I hear that they can get mean), but I came across the blue variant and read that they stay smaller and tend to be more peaceful. I just couldn't resist!

From what I've read, it'll be like trading in a pinto for a camero :D. So excited, can't wait. I'm just a tad worried about getting my corals adjusted to the higher intensity.

From what I've read, it'll be like trading in a pinto for a camero :D. So excited, can't wait. I'm just a tad worried about getting my corals adjusted to the higher intensity.

yea, definitely start low and ramp up. i have toasted many corals with my duo...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update!

My tank is a little over 3 months now and it's finally starting to look like a reef!

In terms of my equipment, I ended up upgrading to a Maxspect Nano (I know, I know Nanobox is awesome, but unfortunately unexpected medical bills came up so...). I got a great deal on a used one and couldn't pass it up. So far, it has been an upgrade from the stock lights in every way. Shout out to Mirya for the light, who was awesome to work with. Great seller and the light was packaged (and looked) like new!

The original Nuvo lights come with 4 separate bulky power cords, which were awkward and difficult to plug into any normal outlet strip. No on/off button and so I spent every day plugging in and out those damn lights. The Maxspect on the other hand has 6 pre-programmable channels, which has been amazing. Currently running it max at 35% (it has been about a week since I got the light) as I didn't want to chance bleaching any corals. My corals are loving the light, my muted acan has started to regain color and everybody is puffy and happy. :)

I ended up nixing the mini-refugium. The cheato didn't really thrive and it ended up being a debris trap, so away it went.

Aside from that stock wise I added:

Pagoda cup coral

Cluster of zoas (not sure what kind)

Dendro

Green and Red acans

I lost my cleaner shrimp. Not sure what happened, he had been doing very well, but I found him laying dead next to a molt, so maybe a bad molt? My other inverts are still doing well, so I'm not sure if it was an issue w/ water params. That being said, I'm having some issues w/ my Nitrates. They range from 20-40, which makes me cringe. I'm trying to reduce feeding and upping the water changes this week to see if I can get it under control. I've been considering adding a skimmer to see if that would help, but am hesitant to as I hear they can be finicky and I don't have any experience tuning one.

FTS 10/27/14

f851a711-a95b-4697-9f48-e0c6c82617f2.jpg

Well the listed cleaner package was supposed to have 14 snails all together...I lost count at 72...

But I can't complain, they're doing an awesome job and Reefcleaners were great to work with :)

Genie, your tank looks great. I love the aquascape, arches but fairly open...gold job!

Thanks! I was worried it was going to be a bit cluttered. I think for my next tank I'm gonna try a more minimalist look, but I am rather happy with all the little crevices I can stick corals in along the rock work :)

Yes, I like the minimalist look too but I don't have all the filtering equipment like reactors and such so I rely on my rock for biological filtration, both nitrifying and denitrifying bacterias. You have achieved a good balance.

• 2 months later...

Updates! Tank has hit the 6 month mark!

Hi all, due to life and the holiday's I've been a little behind on updating my tank thread, but as per usual the tank is chugging along with some good and some bad and a little bit of the ugly. My most recent issue has been an outbreak of some sort of fish disease in my tank. I had purchased a small clown (my last fish addition to the tank!) and it broke out with some external disease (looked like Brooklynella). Before I could net the little guy and set him up in a hospital tank he "disappeared". My molly-miller blenny also came down with something (though no obvious external lesions) and "disappeared". She was eating well and then I suddenly found her hiding and not responding to food, when I got home later in the day she was gone. The last one standing is my beloved tailspot. He's eating very well, but began developing these weird brown spots (looked like liver spots). He was also quite bloated and thin. I performed (a very scary) FW dip and the spots are starting to fade and started feeding him veggies b/c he refuses the nori and seaweed extreme I try to feed him. I've also upped his feeding and plan on treating him with praziquantel.

Aside from all the fish mayhem, my corals have been coming along nicely (well...with the exception of a birdsnest frag I got that started developing large patches of white). I've seen growth in nearly all my corals and all of them look puffy and happy.

I've been having on and off issues with nitrate spikes, so I combated that with frequent water changes and added a new skimmer. My last two nitrate tests have been less than 20. However, my calcium has been a tad low (360-390) with an ok Kh (9-10.5), so I've started monitoring for the last few days (since my last water change) with the plan to start dosing once I get a handle on how much I lose daily. Given that I currently have some sps in the tank, I'm going to try to get the Ca up to 420 with the Kh around 9.5 to 10.

Dosing is pretty terrifying to me, but I'm hoping that it'll be similar to other things in this hobby...super complicated and intimidating when you read about it, but not so terrible once you try it out yourself. Wish me luck guys!

Anyho, aside from all those snafu's my biggest challenge was really resisting all the black friday deals (A nuvo 40 gallon 200$ off!?), but I managed. Hope everyone had a nice holiday and here are some recent pics!

FTS 1/7/15

http://s48.photobucket.com/user/Eugenia88/media/7ee4a06f-b26d-48fa-b362-10e76ef871e8.jpg.html'>7ee4a06f-b26d-48fa-b362-10e76ef871e8.jpg

Some red macroalgae and the dreaded Xenia (I may pluck it from the tank if it starts to look like it's taking over)

http://s48.photobucket.com/user/Eugenia88/media/012e4ff3-8639-4b70-b2f9-97a45c2d7292.jpg.html'>012e4ff3-8639-4b70-b2f9-97a45c2d7292.jpg

Sad Birdsnest and my bubble tip isn't looking too happy (but it accepts food every other day and hasn't moved...)

http://s48.photobucket.com/user/Eugenia88/media/66f68da3-ea32-468a-8339-27ad6b125f8b.jpg.html'>66f68da3-ea32-468a-8339-27ad6b125f8b.jpg

My fireshrimp (Fuego) and my blenny photobombing the shot.
http://s48.photobucket.com/user/Eugenia88/media/722b0209-d75c-44b8-9f95-7230bd698dcd.jpg.html'>722b0209-d75c-44b8-9f95-7230bd698dcd.jpg

Good to hear the updates! Sorry about your fish, that is always sad when you lose them. I think you are doing well with the skimmer and you will do fine with dosing too. I use B-ionics 2 part, which is probably the easiest way to start. Your tank shouldn't be a huge draw on Alk and Calcium so probably half a cupful a week should do it. You might want to check on your Magnesium too. Often when Calcium and Alk are being depleted so is magnesium.

Glad I found your tank thread! I see the grape monticap :).

I was going to say too, to check your magnesium. I started losing a birdsnest coral and from research found that low magnesium can be a culprit.

I love that pagoda cup! Someone else on here has one that I admire and I admire yours too :). I'm going to have to have one of those someday!

Thanks guys!

Vlangel saw your thread about your baby seahorses the other day, so cute!

Gena I am fond of the pagoda cup too, only thing was finding a good spot for it in my little tank. It seems to like its current home though :)

Yah, I'll start checking my Mg too, I figure if I'm gonna start dosing...might as well do it right.

Gena I am fond of the pagoda cup too, only thing was finding a good spot for it in my little tank. It seems to like its current home though :)

Yah, I'll start checking my Mg too, I figure if I'm gonna start dosing...might as well do it right.

Your placement looks perfect! Check out Jaime's 10g tank if you haven't yet. She put her pagoda in about the same exact location you did :).

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/355269-jaimes-downsizing-pico-20g-to-im-nuvo-10/

What a nice tank! And I like her Pagoda cup coral! One of the more frustrating things about corals for me is just finding the right placement. I tend not to glue anything down in case I have to move the coral (doesn't like the light or flow) and since my tank is so small, I've definitely had to move this pagoda cup a few times (and let me not even get into my bulldozer crew of snails). I was worried it was going to be too close to the lights, but it seems happiest in that spot.

I also tested my Mg last night as well..1080. Ack. Looks like I'll have to start supplementing that also...and I have to say, last night I was thinking "well, I'm going to be dosing my water anyway...maybe I should get some more SPS"...and so it begins. This hobby is a black hole!

• 11 months later...

Well, sadly this will be the last update for this tank thread. As some of you may already know, my Nuvo sprung a leak (lower left hand corner) and the tank has been retired. All my live stock is currently moved over to a Cardiff AIO 24 gallon temporary tank that some friends lent me (thank goodness for reefer friends w/ hoarding tendencies!). The timing of the leak was pretty bad as well since I'm planning on moving in a few months, so a new tank build will be on hold until we set up in a new home. Currently IM has been working with me to resolve the situation and so far I've been pretty pleased w/ their customer service.

In the interim, I'll be picking up some components for the new tank (so when I do finally move, it'll be a fast set up ^_^). Here's a rough sketch for the new tank, let me know what you guys think.

Red Sea Reefer 250

Essentials

Pump- Sicce Syncre Silent pump 3.0

Heater-Cobalt Aquatics Accu-therm- 250 Watts

Vortech MP-40-WQD (vs. a Maxspect Gyre)

Bubble Magnus Curve 5- 210$ (open to other protein skimmer recommendations)

BRS single medial reactor (carbon and GFO)