Pod Your Reef

Improving my leds

senne766

Hello

I have an 39"x39"x19"h tank with diy leds this is my design:

led_zps803ec6c9.pngI have 6 of these tiles and I run each color on a different dimmable meanwell driver. Except for the violets they all are luxeon leds.

Now since I have read a lot about leds I know that 660nm leds aren't really good and neither are the true green ones.

So I wanted to replace the deep red with standard red and the true green with lime leds. Should this give me better colors?

Also I normally I like more white light but I think this is just a little bit too white , so should I replace one NW with a blue or a royal blue?

Regards

I see you already have these lights going,but maybe consider the following:

You may be able to cut the arrays down to only 4 instead of 6 clusters. Maybe look into the evil clusters. Also look into running a vero 10 in the middle of each cluster for your white and build your clusters around those.

Your tank really isn't all that deep and you'll probably have to hang the lights pretty high above the tank. But with 4 vero's and 4 hyper violets around each one,with Luxeon royal blues and regular blues you won't need red,greens or any other exotic color. Neutral and Warm whites will cover your green and red spectrum good enough to not have to run those.

If you run limes,check with JediBen and see. I do want to say he suggest 1:2 or 1:4 (limes:white) I could be wrong though. Maybe only run 2 limes for every vero. Limes are SUPER bright.

So each cluster would consist of:

1-Vero 10

4-Hyper Violets from LGB

4-6- Luxeon Royal Blues

4- True Cool Blues

2-Limes

I'd consult Ben,Hor or Evil. Or just check out the NUMEROUS Evil Clusters.

Thanks for the advice but I don't have the possibility to hang my leds really high above the tank (There is a sloping ceiling). The current leds are hanging 3-4" off above the water surface and with an evil cluster this wouldn't reall work out. I am considering adding 2 or 4 T5's since I think there is a little bit too much shimmer (no disco effect). But overall I can only adapt this led layout since I made a wooden canopy.

Thanks for the advice but I don't have the possibility to hang my leds really high above the tank (There is a sloping ceiling). The current leds are hanging 3-4" off above the water surface and with an evil cluster this wouldn't reall work out. I am considering adding 2 or 4 T5's since I think there is a little bit too much shimmer (no disco effect). But overall I can only adapt this led layout since I made a wooden canopy.

Currently I have a ai sol hung on a sloping ceiling. It's no problem at all using Molly anchors. Just when you hang it u gotta move it a little forward to compensate. Or use the good old diy conduit hangers, or shelf brackets in wall. Many good options. Don't let the hanging deter you from a setup that you would like most. Just my .02.

Pop off the LEDs you dont want.

Put on the ones you do want.

Whats the problem?

On another note, you can hang E Clusters any height off the water you like, just dont put lenses or reflectors on them.

In fact put a diffusion screen on them. Put a diffusion screen on your current lights and ditch the T5 idea.

Archived