Coral Vue Hydros

Ready for CUC and need advice

jp75

Even as a newbe I Could tell that rinsing the rock in fresh water would be bad, but I really do appreciate those looking out for my welfare.

I will be tending to the tank tomorrow and maybe a trip to the lfs for the CUC. Was at the state fair all day with my kids and 3 of my nieces in 100 degrees temp. I am baked

Lol. I figured it was an oversight. I just wanted to point it out so the poor guy didn't nuke his nitrifying bacteria colony. I've have drunk commented many a time. Matter of fact, probably 80% of my posts I have been inebriated in some way or another.I'm actually on my second IPA right now lol
It definitely was an oversight, thanks for putting me in my place, and nice wordage btw. IPAs are the best style of beer hands down. G

Jp75 your a champ for doing the fair thing all day with that many kids.

So I went to my lfs today to go buy my CUC and the owner told me he wouldn't sell it to me because when he tested my water he said there was a small amount of Ammonia. He asked about my last water change and asked if I had removed any rock from the tank. I explained I had removed one piece at a time to scrub off the GHA in the bucket with the old tank water. He explained there might have been a small about of die off of bacteria and of the algae I scrubbed off.

He told me to do another water change and leave the lights off for a week since there are no corals or livestock inside.

It's hard when you are off from work and sitting at home everyday looking at an empty tank. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks of looking at rocks and water.

Swing2Harmony

Patience, Patience, Patience.....

If you don't have it, this hobby will not last long for you!

Unless you have fully cured rocks, I advocate cycling the tank without a sand bed for the first 4 to 6 weeks so its easier to clean, so next time keep that in consideration.

Siphon the sand bed and do big water changes to keep the unwanted elements low.

Ideally you don't want huge spikes when cycling with live rock to preserve as much life as possible.

With having 6 kids I have the patience of Jobe. I can and well wait it out until it proper. I just had the pipe dreams from reading people having their tanks cycled after just a couple of weeks.

I really do appreciate the advice from everybody. I take it all in and continue reading and researching different elements. Right now while I'm waiting for the tank I am looking more into developing a stocking list and what corals can be put inside with the stock lighting.

Monday I should be receiving my ATO and will play with that.

Day 2 with the lights completely off and most of the algae is gone. I did see a ton of small shrimp like creatures running all over the place. I will test water levels tomorrow and see how everything is, but all looking good.

Did anyone say to check for phosphates if they are present GHA could be very difficult to eliminate...just my 2 cents good luck. Those are pods.

Day 5 with no lights and the algae is almost completely gone. There is a little bit on the glass but that is it. I just tested the water: PH 8.1 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 but nitrates 80 ppm. I have kept up with my weekly water changes. Last change was on Monday at 5 gallons.

What else can I do to lower the nitrates? I do have chaeto in the back chamber and removed the sponge between chamber 2 and 3 when I did the water change

Looks like your tank is cycled. The nitrates are high, but it will take a month or two before the high nitrates stable out. It takes time for denitrifying bacteria to colonize the live rocks. Keep doing weekly water changes. Some people may suggest 50 or 80% water change, but that's not necessary. 20% weekly water change is enough. Nitrates are not a problem for fishes or CUC, so you are ready to add them to your tank. But don't add too much bioload at once. That may cause your tank to cycle again. Instead add the CUC first in three batches. For example, I added 3 or 4 snails at a time, and waited a week before I added more. Same with fishes. Don't add more than 1 or 2 fishes at a time. You can start turning on your lights now, but do smaller day cycles - maybe keep your lights on 6 hours a day. You will get some algae growth, but that's good - your CUC will need some food and it also takes away some nitrates. Eventually everything will balance out and you will have a tank that is stable and resilient.

Archived