Coral Vue Hydros

Fairy Wrasse vs Yellow Coris Wrasse

PiscesFish

I was at the LFS today and convinced my mom into letting me buy a fish. So, i asked my LFS what she recommends (she's a pretty reputable. I've been with her since I started) because i wanted some colorful fish. She told me that I could get a Fairy Wrasse and showed me a Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse and this bright red one, but I know that I might want a wrasse that eats pests like a Yellow Coris. Even though that sounds like the answer, I just want to hear your opinions because well, I want to at least have some thoughts about it haha.

Tank - 28g Nano Cube

Fish - Klausewitz Blenny (I ended up getting this cute little guy instead, but I'm planning to head back to the LFS again tomorrow ;D)

And if you guys can give me other pest eating fish besides the Yellow Coris and the Sixline that will fit and be happy in my tank, then that would be awesome.

After reading the first paragraph, I just realized that the blenny isn't too colorful but still haha. He was cute and couldn't pass him up.

Didnt read all of your post BUT I love my yellow coris wrasse. He did take care of my feather duster explosion, so that was helpful and his color really stands out. Plus if you get to see it, its funny watching them go to bed.

IMO Fairy and Canary wrasse aren't the best for a smaller cube, a Pink Streak or Possum wrasse would be best. As Sixline wrasse are often aggressive.

IMO Fairy and Canary wrasse aren't the best for a smaller cube, a Pink Streak or Possum wrasse would be best. As Sixline wrasse are often aggressive.

I don't really like the Pink Streak or Possum haha. . . And funny thing is that I've had 2 sixlines before. The first one I traded back in because I didn't realize that I couldnt have two wrasses in the same tank until I took home a new wrasse. The second one disappeared somehow. But they were both friendly. The second one was the first one in the tank and was happy when I got him a tankmate (Black Lined Chromis). But then that tankmate turned out to be more aggressive towards it than the sixline to the Chromis.

I mean like, I'm doin my research before I even get either one, but like I said before, just looking for more opinions because, well, why not?

What kind of pests are you looking to get rid of? Probably a six-line or possum like 1.0 mentioned. Some damsels eat flatworms

Just any future pests. I mean like I had a flatworm breakout a few months after I started my tank and it was a living nightmare lol. Took me a year to finally slow down the population and another 5 or 6 months to finally get rid of it all and I really dont want to go through that again.

But Im looking at another clam maybe and a few more sps so any of those pests that can be eating them alive.

No on both of the fish... they need more room. I had a yellow in my 40B and he pretty much outgrew it in 2 years. I also currently have a Lubbock's Fairy wrasse and it likes to zoom the length of the tank and then hover in place.

Try one of the rarer damsels instead... many will eat pests

No on both of the fish... they need more room. I had a yellow in my 40B and he pretty much outgrew it in 2 years. I also currently have a Lubbock's Fairy wrasse and it likes to zoom the length of the tank and then hover in place.

Try one of the rarer damsels instead... many will eat pests

Didn't know that about the Coris o_o. And that's what I thought about the fairy wrasse. and now I'm off to do some research on this "rarer damsel".

Neon Velvet damsels are supposed to eat flatworms. I've never had flatworms as long as I've had my Starcki either so maybe he eats them haha! Or maybe I'm lucky

Edit: If I remember correctly someone had a lubbocks fairy in a <30 gallon tank for TOTM. You'd have to check the dimensions against the cube though

Neon Velvet damsels are supposed to eat flatworms. I've never had flatworms as long as I've had my Starcki either so maybe he eats them haha! Or maybe I'm lucky

Edit: If I remember correctly someone had a lubbocks fairy in a <30 gallon tank for TOTM. You'd have to check the dimensions against the cube though

Those are gorgeous. But, I would most likely go for the Starcki since he's semi-aggressive and maybe you did get lucky. :b

I just realized that I have learned something. Wrasses aren't the only ones to eat pests. Bwahaha.

What does TOTM stand for? I'm horrible with acronyms lol.

Those are gorgeous. But, I would most likely go for the Starcki since he's semi-aggressive and maybe you did get lucky. :b

I just realized that I have learned something. Wrasses aren't the only ones to eat pests. Bwahaha.

What does TOTM stand for? I'm horrible with acronyms lol.

Tank of the month.

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/

I don't really like the Pink Streak or Possum haha. . . And funny thing is that I've had 2 sixlines before. The first one I traded back in because I didn't realize that I couldnt have two wrasses in the same tank until I took home a new wrasse. The second one disappeared somehow. But they were both friendly. The second one was the first one in the tank and was happy when I got him a tankmate (Black Lined Chromis). But then that tankmate turned out to be more aggressive towards it than the sixline to the Chromis.

I mean like, I'm doin my research before I even get either one, but like I said before, just looking for more opinions because, well, why not?

Just any future pests. I mean like I had a flatworm breakout a few months after I started my tank and it was a living nightmare lol. Took me a year to finally slow down the population and another 5 or 6 months to finally get rid of it all and I really dont want to go through that again.

But Im looking at another clam maybe and a few more sps so any of those pests that can be eating them alive.

How long did you have them for? 6lines can get nasty as they age. That isn't always the case though.

I love my Starkii!! No "damsel" problems from her what-so-ever. No idea if she eats pests though.

Springers damsels are also another good choice for calmer damsels that many say eat pests. LA actually has them listed as peaceful: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+28+2073&pcatid=2073

How long did you have them for? 6lines can get nasty as they age. That isn't always the case though.

I love my Starkii!! No "damsel" problems from her what-so-ever. No idea if she eats pests though.

Springers damsels are also another good choice for calmer damsels that many say eat pests. LA actually has them listed as peaceful: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+28+2073&pcatid=2073

My first sixline was in for about a year. The second one was in for about 6 months before the aggression with the Black Lined Chromis, and disappeared. The Black Lined Chromis was in 3 months after the 2nd sixline. But, it seemed like the sixline wanted the company because after that, he was out more.

I think i might do that. Get a Springers damsel or Starki, but after I get paid this weekend and if my LFS gets him in :b :D

I have a Pylei fairy wrasse and he kills any small crustacean or worm he sees. Once saw him with a goatee of bristleworm bristles. Don't think he tried bristleworms again, but who knows. I haven't seen a single flatworm in the DT in a while, but I have a huge population in my sump, therefore he must be doing a good job at keep them down or my scooter blenny is doing it. Only issue is the Pylei is extremely territorial and will rush any fish his size or smaller that gets near his resting place.

I have a Pylei fairy wrasse and he kills any small crustacean or worm he sees. Once saw him with a goatee of bristleworm bristles. Don't think he tried bristleworms again, but who knows. I haven't seen a single flatworm in the DT in a while, but I have a huge population in my sump, therefore he must be doing a good job at keep them down or my scooter blenny is doing it. Only issue is the Pylei is extremely territorial and will rush any fish his size or smaller that gets near his resting place.

That sounds pretty scary haha.

Well, I ended up getting a Lubbocks Fairy Wrasse. I've researched them online and there were successes with them in nano cubes and biocubes 24, 28 or bigger. I've seen him picking at things around my tank so maybe I got lucky with a pest eating fairy? I also got lucky with my blenny as he's eating away my bryopsis.

So, back to this comment, my fairy is really timid and shy, but he's slowly working on it. Whenever he sees my face, he comes to say hello and when he sees me walking he shoots into the rockwork. Otherwise, theres about no aggression whatsoever. Not even towards a free pistol shrimp that i got with his goby.

Lubbock's are one of the most peaceful fairy wrasses. If you ever decide to get another fairy wrasse, you will have to be careful because the Lubbock's might not fare too well against the other. Definitely make sure the tank is covered because I hear these guys get spooked easily.

Archived