SaltCritters.com

Original SpectraPure CSPDI DI cartridge looks bad

markalot

Howdy,

I have yet to ever replace the DI cartridge in my CSPDI system.

Tap water = 375 TDS

After RO = 3 TDS

After DI = 0 TDS

My TDS, measured with a temp correcting meter (HM Digital TDS-3) is still 0 but the cartridge looks like it's swollen some and has a tear in part of the filter. All of this happened during a long 15 hours of usage while filling my 150 with new water. Should I replace regardless of TDS or wait until it is obviously failing?

Carbon Block and Sediment replaced 6 months ago.

Thanks.

AZDesertRat

I would order a new SilicaBuster DI cartridge so you have it ready when the old DI finally exhausts.

Store the new DI in the unopened vacuum sealed mylar foil bag in the refrigerator so it stays fresh until needed.

Are you saying the refillable plastic canister has swelled up and has an actual rip or tear in the clear/milky white plastic? I have never seen this except if one has been allowed to freeze if not stored in a climate controlled environment.

If the sediment and carbon are 6 months old they are due for replacements also and you should probably disinfect the system while you have it down following Spectrapures instructions. I stretch my sediment and carbon past 6 months but I also use two pressure gauges, before and after, to monitor headloss or plugging and a low range chlorine test kit to monitor for chlorine breakthru. If I did not do both of those I would stick to 6 month intervals as recommended.

WHAT IS THE SHELF LIFE FOR FILTERS?

• PRE-FILTERS (Sediment & Carbon Block Filters) - Pre-Filters do not have a shelf life, so stock up on these.
  • REVERSE OSMOSIS MEMBRANE (RO) - Purchase an RO membrane when needed. If you would like to keep one on hand, you can store it in the refrigerator for up to 1 year. (Keep in its sealed, original packaging). If the membrane dries out, it will not produce water).
  • DE-IONIZING CARTRIDGES (DI) - Replacement DI cartridges come shipped in a Mylar® Bag. Keep it in its sealed, original packaging until use. You can store it for approx 6 months.
http://spectrapure.com/frequently-asked-questions#LIFE

Are you saying the refillable plastic canister has swelled up and has an actual rip or tear in the clear/milky white plastic? I have never seen this except if one has been allowed to freeze if not stored in a climate controlled environment.

Not sure as I've never had it open. When I look at one side instead of all brown there is a clear spot where I can apparently see inside the cartridge. I'm ordering a new one and will just replace it. Better safe than sorry.

Archived