Cultivated Reef

Sicce Voyager 4 & Wave Surfer Controller

GoldenHawk

This really isn't much a nano topic (these are powerful pumps), but since I've seen very few reviews on Sicce products, I figure I'd throw this out there....

After having a ton of issues with waterflow in my Deep Blue 80 gal (lots of square footage, but not a lot of height), I saw a Sicce Wave Surfer Controller w/ 2 Voyager 4 pumps package offered at BRS for $200ish and change. I put the two Voyager 4's in the tank, replacing a Vortech mp10 and handful of Aqueon pumps. Thus far, I've been very pleased with the results.

Pro's

* Strong flow. These pumps are rated at 1600 gph, so I was originally worried about them being way too strong for the tank. However, I was pleasantly surprised by...

* Broad flow. Rather than a laminar blast of water, these pumps push a large swath of water across the tank. When I turn the one pump on, it pushes water ~4 foot across the tank into the overflow, but without a high intensity blast. Sort of like how a Vortech moves water, vice something cheaper like the Aqueon pumps.

* Random (somewhat) flow. Using the controller, you can have the pumps turn on/ off at different intervals. It's not truly random, and you won't make any waves, but it does help kick up random water flow throughout the tank.

* Controls. They're stupidly simple. If you want to use the controller, you just plug the pumps into the controller and set how long you want each pump go.

* Noise. I wouldn't have thought it, but these things are almost completly silent, even when turning on and off all the time.

* Mounting. The pumps use a magnetic mount to attach. They're strong magnets, these pumps aren't going anywhere.

* Adjustability. These pumps can rotate to cover almost any angle you need. There is a power cord to keep straight, but I believe these rotate 360 degrees around and 180 degrees up or down. Want to point your pump straight up and make a reef fountain?...with these, you can.

* Cost. ~$200-$220 isn't cheap, but getting two pumps plus the controller for less than a mp10 is a more cost-effective way to add good flow to the tank.

* Cool name. Sicce = See-chay. Who-ah doesn't like to make-ah da Italian jokes when describing their a pumps-ah? (insert joke about shirts with deep v's)

Con's

* Size. These pumps are seriously huge. Their dimensions are something like ~2.5" x 5.5" x 3". This could limit your placement options. Also...these pumps aren't the prettiest.

* Waves. If you're looking to make actual waves in the tank, these probably aren't a great option. I'm not sure how compatible the pumps are with other controllers.

* Controller Feel. It isn't a huge deal, but the controller itself feels a bit cheap, like a low grade plastic.

Overall, I've been quite pleased with these pumps. They seem to solve the flow problems I had in the 80 gal, with the only real negative being that they're kinda big and ugly. I've made my first attempt at posting photos below.

4CIXYCo.jpg

M5DfMe9.jpg

Archived