Pod Your Reef

lumia 5.1 power questions

maverick

I am thinking about running 2 lumia 5.1 over a 40g breeder. My question is will 5 ldds along with the LED group buy 250w power supply be enough to power both chips if i ran them in series?

jedimasterben

At full power, you'd be pulling too much wattage from the power supply to be run comfortably. I would highly suggest to use the 5.2 instead of the 5.1, it is better in pretty much every way.

So will 2 5.2 be enough for a 40 gallon breeder? And how should I power them? I have found a lot of info on powering just 1, but I am still unclear if 5 ldds would be enough to run 2 in series?

jedimasterben

Yes, each channel uses no more than 18v, so you can run two in series from an LDD no problemo.

I would highly suggest a quality 48v power supply, though. I recommend the Meanwell HLG series. You'd need the 150w model to run two of the 5.2.

• 5 months later...
jedimasterben

How would I run 3 5.1's? Can all three be run from 1 5up board? Or should I use three boards? What powersupply would handle all three?

The Lumia 5.1 uses 36-38v per channel, you can only run a single channel of a single 5.1 per LDD, so you'd need five LDD per Lumia 5.1. You'd need a power supply that gives at least 450w to run all three.

Archived