Cultivated Reef

ca and alk test results. dosing

Dramad1

Im at the point where I think I need to start dosing ca and alk. So I have started testing starting today at 7pm and will continue for a week to see my consumption.

So quick break down

using rodi- 0tds

tank temp 80*f

mixed reef

Rscp weekly 5gal w/c on Saturdays

ca-380

Dkh-9.9 weird cause I haven't dosed any 2.part. is this# okay?

Other info,

Over the last 2 previous weeks I have raised my mag up around 2000ppm due to byropsis showing up again. Im slowly letting it return down to around 1320 w/ water changes. Could this be why my alk is so high?

Before dosing anything, I had planned to test for a week to see how much my tank is consuming on average daily but need some advice/guidance. Can anyone help me out here?

Arkayology

9.9 dkh is not insanely high, but your calcium could come up to around 420. You say mixed reef, so this would probably be something you want to do. The key is stability more than hitting the correct number.

I appreciate your reply. I will continue testing through the end of nxt week, I do water changes on Saturday so id like to see how low the levels get over a full week.

I picked up some b-ionic 2 part and am curious if I could dose just the cal by itself to bring those levels up if needed in the future or if the cal has to be dosed with the alk. Im guessing it should be fine since my alk is already above my target of about 7.6.

one more question, if my dkh were to get to high, lets say above 12, how would I bring it down? W/c? I was searching the web and couldnt find a specific answer.

I apologize if these are dumb questions, I am just trying to understand water chemistry in a reef environment and make my water wetter. Lol

Tonights test were interesting.

Salifert test kits

dkh 7.0

ca-370

I ran both test twice with the same results.

Seems like a drastic drop in alk to me compared to yesterday. I only tested dkh once yesterday and am wondering if I had a bad reading yesterday.

So I will continue to test tomorrow and through nxt week to see what I come up with.

Tonights test

dkh-6.7

cal-360

5 gal w/c in the morning, I will continue testing until nxt Sunday to get an average # of tank consumption.

I haven't dosed tech m since the beginning of these test so I will test mag at the end of the week as well.

So by mistake, I skipped Sunday's test, but I did do my weekly 5 gal wc and weekly scrub down.

Tonight's results,

Dkh- 8.0

Ca-410

so this will be my new starting point and I will see how much the levels flux over a full week.

Im thinking my first test of 9.9 was in correct and probably closer to 7.2dkh. Then it was dropping about .3 per day and 10ppm of ca

Then it jumped back up after my water change to 8.0

Im thinking my first test of 9.9 was in correct and probably closer to 7.2dkh. Then it was dropping about .3 per day and 10ppm of ca

Then it jumped back up after my water change to 8.0

Yesterdays and tonight's results

Tues:

Dkh:7.7

Ca: 400

Wed:

Dkh: 7.3

Ca: 390

So since my water change my numbers have been consistent as far as uptake by coral. Dkh seems to be dropping by .3 per day and my ca 10 per day, so by Saturday my dkh should be 6.7 and Ca 360.

I will continue to test the rest of the week and see if I'm correct.

Based on my results so far and assuming they stay consistently dropping by the same amount each day, could someone help me calculate how much I would need to dose each day to maintain around 8.0 dkh and 420 Ca with a tank volume of 25 gallons using b ionic 2 part. Im a bit confused with the math. Im looking for a basic number (ml) of each I should start w, then im sure I will have to test and adjust if necessary. Help please

Tonights results

dkh: 7.0

Ca: 380

Still consistently dropping.

Can anyone help me figure out how much I need daily?

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

try this calculator. it gives you the option to select your product.

Thanks, I was checking out BRS's calculator but I'm unsure if they are referring to there brand of 2 part or all brands, liquid or powder. It seemed kind of confusing to me, picking out what brand of 2 part in the list they have. The way I read it, they give you the option of choosing powder or liquid both of which I believe is there brand, they also picked out a starter bundle which was also there brand. Makes me feel like there calculated dosage is based off there brand. It gives me a general number to go off of but I don't know if different brands of 2 part vary in strength.

Ill check that calculator you posted out, thank you.

Tonights results:

Dkh: 6.7

Ca: 370/380 (may have went a drop to far)

edit:

Another question, when dosing 2 part do you need to dose part1 and 2 equally?

I just checked out that calculator and I like how it gives you the options to choose what brands you are using. I typed in tonights results and entered a target of (dKH: 7.6) & (Ca 420), 25 gal using b-ionic original. The calculator came up with 60ml of the part2(Ca) and 10ml alk(part1), this is what I mean in my question asking if the 2 part needs to be dosed equally(5ml pt1 and 5ml pt2) @ a time. Can I break up the dosage over 5/6days?

BRS calculator is only for their product. and no you do not have to dose equal parts. you dose what is called for to get the levels up to the desired point. my alk and calcium doses are different amiunts

So Saturday I couldn't help it and I dosed some 2 part so I could see how much the levels would go up with a half dose of what the reef calculator came up with.

It recommended 10ml alk and 60ml Ca using b ionic.

So I dosed 5ml alk and 20 mins later 30ml ca, both I added slowly, lil at a time. I re tested a few hours or more later and it bumped my dkh up to 7.0 and my Ca up to 400. My target with the calculator was Dkh: 7.6 and my Ca: 420.

Sunday I did my 5g wc and didn't test anything. Tonight at 8pm I tested and the results are:

Dkh: 7.0-7.3, right in between

Ca: 420

So I will test tomorrow and see if the numbers consistently drop like they did last week and try to figure out a daily dosing amount of each. I picked up the bm t-01 doser and would like to program it to dose 3-4 times a day or at least a few times a day to break it up from me adding all at one time.

Comments?

Todays results:

Ca: 400

Busted out the calculator and I would need 6ml of alk to bring it back up to 7.3 dkh and 30ml of Ca to bring it up to 420. I dosed 4ml of alk and 15-20 mins from now I will dose 15ml of Ca. Im starting with half doses or a lil over half to start so I can see where it gets me. Ill re test again tomorrow and see what my results are.

Tonight's results:

Ca: 430

So I dosed another 5ml of alk tonight and if it is still @ 6.7 tomorrow night, I will up the dosed to 10ml. Target is 7.3 Dkh.

Ca was fine so I didn't dose anything. I will see what results are tomorrow and go from there.

Dose test dose test..test dose test dose. Ca reactor may be in my future. :)

Tonight's results:

Dosed 6ml alk

Ca: 430

Seems to be remaining steady. I will Test again tomorrow.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement syringe for my test kits? The lines and numbers are half gone. I rinse my test kit every night after use so this may have contributed to the fading. I still have half of each kit left so im not ready for a new ones yet.

Tonight's results:

Dkh: 7.3

Ca: 440

hmmmm..

would spending the money on a Ca reactor be worth it on a 29g tank? Thinking of doing away with dosing all together and possibly going this route. Seems my levels don't start to dip til around mid week and I feel I can keep up with the dosing by hand instead of using the doser. I'm still up in the air on what I should do. I want to hook up the doser and have everything automated but...im tired cant think right now. Test,dose, test, dose sucks

i think a cal reactor isnt worth it. I think i would order the BRS 2part and use their calculator to get dialed in faster and easier then just dose from there. I found bionic to be a bit tricky to get dialed in. so i just switched back to BRS stuff and I find its easier to work with cause of their calculator on the site.

Archived