Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Quick and dirty (and cheap) cooling fan setup.

Islandoftiki

Islandoftiki

Summer is coming! The nano tanks are heating up! What can you do?

Here's a quick easy fan mod for people who have a tank controller such as the Apex or ReefKeeper. If you don't have a tank controller, I would recommend investing in one for myriad reasons.

The fan: A USB powered Thermaltake 80mm fan. Cost, less than $12.00 if you have amazon prime. These come with an adjustable length USB cable and they have a knob to adjust the fan speed. Pretty sweet for less than twelve bucks. They're also pretty darn quiet even at full blast.

Thermaltake80mm_zpsf193032a.jpg

Note: These also come in 120mm versions for about $21.00.

Then all you need is an old USB charger from a dead cell phone or whatever. I have tons of these things laying around.

Just plug it in and set the tank controller to turn the fan on at whatever temperature you want.

I simply zip-tied the wire fan base to my light bracket and bent it slightly to make it blow directly on the surface of the water.

68AD3506-orig_zpse212db48.jpg

Now, if you don't have a good place to zip-tie the fan base to, you can do what I did on my 25 gallon tank. With some careful bending of the wire base, you can make a handy clip-on attach for the rim of the tank!

5AAEDD0B-orig_zps5e70c332.jpg

Anyhow, you'd be surprised how much a little air flow will do to keep your nano tank cool in the summer!

Enjoy!

Note, having a fan running will increase evaporation, so you need to keep an eye on your water level, or better yet, install an ATO!

Very nice! I bought a clip on fan since I have a sump, doesn't matter it is ugly but what you have is really nice for nano's imo! I put a huge box fan over my tank until it arrives... it went from 83 to 78 in a few hours!

• 1 year later...

Archived