inTank Media Baskets

My take on the cluster

bpaston

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly as I have them built my best guess would be in the $300 range which is due to the use of six luxeon z uv's, and also the cost of mounting the luxeon z. I would have to sit down to figure out exactly what it would cost.

Any reasons for using the COB emitter instead of Luxeon M/T/K's for the white?

Thinking of doing something similar but with Luxeon M for the whites and semiled N5050U for the UV

Any reasons for using the COB emitter instead of Luxeon M/T/K's for the white?

Thinking of doing something similar but with Luxeon M for the whites and semiled N5050U for the UV

Basically spectrum. A Luxeon M white can't do what a Vero 10 90CRI can do. Plus the Vero 10 is cheaper and has more output.

• 3 weeks later...

So after weeks of silence the heat sink situation has been solved...it's not exactly what I was originally going for but I feel it will be a good fit. Since finding extruded metal to make a pendant style fixture is not as easy as I thought, and the cost to cnc 5 fixtures from solid 6061 aluminum would be over $300 a pendant, I have decided to go hybrid on this. Following suit with Jedi, Chris from CNCReef is helping with a custom 48" fixture which will hold 5 clusters down the middle and a total of 4 48" T5 bulbs. Countdown till receipt of heatsink T-minus 6 weeks and counting.

So I started to play with t5 combos and without having the leds and a heatsink it's hard to decide. But after seeing ATI Blue+ in person two of these are definitely my starting point. But I have room for 4 t5 bulbs, so what do I run for the other two...Purple+??? Jedi or evil any suggestions

• 1 month later...

Well 8 weeks later and CNCreef still has nothing to show for progress on my fixture, just been getting back generic responses stating he is still working on it. Got to say I am a little disappointed that 8 weeks later I have nothing in hand when I was told it would take no longer than 6 weeks. So needless to say I pulled the plug on the project and asked for a refund...but now we will move forward and I will machine a unibody fixture myself at work. So stay posted for updates and pics as I get started on the unibody fixture yet again.

SpencerShepard

A little premature for a custom project I would say. It sucks waiting longer than you anticipated, but often there is a lot of planning up until the final execution when all of the exciting stuff happens.

Not premature at all when you are modifying an existing product to make it longer, and at the end of week one the cnc drawing was complete other than airflow for the fixture. But to each his own.

• 2 months later...
Caravanshaka

I thought this fixture was going to be mounted several feet above the tank? How would you benefit from t5s at that height?

Sorry to hear about your experience with Chris at cncreef...I've gotten about a dozen heatsinks from him and his work has been top notch. Airflow is everything in his design, so I am sure he was trying to make that right rather than just lengthen his hybrid design.

• 1 year later...

I have no clue what half of these words means but now i'm intrigued!. Wanan do a Explain like i'm 5 :).

Yeah unfortunately life consumes us sometimes. Between work, school, and being a new father I kind of took the year off from my project. But I'm back to it and hope to have it up and running in the next couple months.

Archived