Top Shelf Aquatics

Help..Identifying these algae and solutions

ians_reef

Please help me identify these algae. Any solutions are welcome. Got white hair line algae too that is not in the pictures.

DSC_0434_zps1665b400.jpg

I think from reading some of the posts that these white things might be some sort of worm or something not sure. The thermometer pic (last pic below) has a better view of it.

DSC_0433_zps26b8b32a.jpg

This clear stuff is on the acan and is goo-ish.

DSC_0432_zpsfb033613.jpg

This green sort of algae is tubular.

DSC_0431_zpsbb079fcd.jpg

Here is more of the clear white stuff that is by the acan.

DSC_0430_zps7cf439a7.jpgBetter pic of possibly some sort of worm.

FlowerMama

Those are little sponges. They are beneficial.

yep, pineapple sponge- grows with nitrates, lower nitrates and they disappear.

Those are little sponges. They are beneficial.

yep, pineapple sponge- grows with nitrates, lower nitrates and they disappear.

Which ones are the sponges?

I do water changes every two weeks. How can my nitrates be high-ish?

FlowerMama

The little white ones on the thermometer that end w/ a little poof of spikes - I had ones grow in my return tube in my Evolve 8 so I got a stronger pump.

The little white ones on the thermometer that end w/ a little poof of spikes - I had ones grow in my return tube in my Evolve 8 so I got a stronger pump.

I have those bad boys everywhere.. Do you have a good solution to get rid of them? Or do i just have to lower nitrates somehow?

FlowerMama

I had many in my filter area, just wipe them up & out w/ a toothbrush or something if it's excessive or impeding flow. I used a pipecleaner to clean my tubing. Should go away w/ water changes, they're good not bad but even w/ nitrates at 5 in my Evolve I had them all the time- especially in rock work where there was little flow.

The ones attached to the acan look like tunicates, they didn't harm my coral. Just a filter feeder- all these have little tubes- they're all filtering the water.

I had many in my filter area, just wipe them up & out w/ a toothbrush or something if it's excessive or impeding flow. I used a pipecleaner to clean my tubing. Should go away w/ water changes, they're good not bad but even w/ nitrates at 5 in my Evolve I had them all the time- especially in rock work where there was little flow.

The ones attached to the acan look like tunicates, they didn't harm my coral. Just a filter feeder- all these have little tubes- they're all filtering the water.

Thank you very much for your help

Do you happen to know what that green algae thing is?

brandon429

I can't recall the exact Id most would say valonia but it really doesn't matter. It can take over your tank. Find the largest thread in the disease and pest forum for one option. There are also standard token measures of get a clean up crew and manage phosphate. Makes one wonder why a tread would get so big if it wasn't at least a few good outcomes

Archived