Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Addressing BioCube HQI 29 Reviews / Beginner Help?

ExtremeOblivion

ExtremeOblivion

I was reading reviews for the Oceanic 29 Gallon BioCube HQI Aquarium. One individual, who claimed to be of an intermediate experience level, rated it 4/5 stars, noting that the positive aspects of the product included “great light,” “great refugium,” “nice design with fish guard,” “use high quality plastic,” and “excellent customer service.” As far as negative aspects, the individual mentioned “heat from light fixture,” “inferior protein skimmer,” and “weak return pump.”

In order to remedy the heat generated from the light fixture, would you suggest getting a chiller? I have seen chillers for under $100 and I have seen them for $1,400. I noticed that the product review for the $1,400 Coralife Aquarium Chiller mentions that there is a space to plug a heater into and it will control the heater as well so the chiller and the heater aren’t “fighting each other.”

What caliber chiller should I purchase if one is recommended with the BioCube HQI? After all, this is not the first review I have read for this product that has mentioned a large amount of heat being emitted from the light. Should I go expensive? Or is that unnecessary? I have to ask because there is a 1-year limited warranty on the Coralife Aquarium Chiller. Frankly, I’m nervous about spending $1400 on an item that only has a 12-month warranty; this is especially concerning to me because this particular chiller has the capability of cooling off a 55-gallon tank. So should I invest in a $1400 chiller that has almost twice the power that I need… and that comes with a warranty that will only cover it for 12 months, or is there a chiller that would be better suited for the BioCube HQI 29?

--

As for the protein skimmer, is there a way to remedy the potential that the BioCube HQI 29 has an inferior protein skimmer? Perhaps purchasing the BioCube Mini U.V. Sterilizer might pick up the slack left by the protein skimmer?

--

And the weak return pump? Again, any way that I can remedy this if this proves to be true?

Honestly, I have never owned a saltwater tank before and I am in the very beginning of my research. I’m trying to have a base for my research, essentially. I’ve heard great things about the BioCube units and I’m hoping that through my understanding of a unit that has proven to work well in the past, I can apply what I learn through researching what it takes to set up and maintain a basic saltwater tank.

I feel like if I try to research how to maintain a saltwater aquarium that’s basis is a simple glass tank, it’s like trying to put together a puzzle without knowing what it’s supposed to look like; hence why I am trying to learn more about the BioCube—looking at the completed product and then breaking down the pieces individually to understand the specific part they each play in a controlled/synthetic saltwater ecosystem.

And eventually, from here, building my knowledge over the next 10 or 20 years to the point where I’m experienced enough to keep something really interesting like a banded cat shark. But I’ve already come to understand through my research that the rule of thumb in this hobby is this: “Baby Steps”

This is not something I’m jumping into, so don’t worry, guys. I’ve been interested in this hobby for the longest time but have only dabbled in freshwater. Been going through a lot of stress lately and figured it was time to dip my toes into some salt water, so to speak, and start learning about a new hobby that could bring some tranquility into my life. So a few days ago, I hopped on Amazon and bought $300-$400 worth of books ranging from introductions for beginners to aquarium setup to species compatibility to breeding to water chemistry. Received my first book (of about 15) in the mail yesterday and I read that it could take up to a year before the wrinkles are ironed out of setting up a saltwater aquarium. I understand this and I’m ready to put some hard work and a lot of patience into this. I also understand most people who enter the hobby, leave within two years—according to the book I’m reading. I think I’m going about it the right way. But I don’t know.

Why go with a platform that you have have to jump through hoops to fix, when you could start off with a blank slate that allows you to get the components that you want out of the gate? You may want to look into the JBJ RL30, or the Innovative Marine Micro 30 or Mini 38. Then add the skimmer and lights you want.

The return pump is a easy upgrade and you could use the original pump for water changes etc. Skimmer can be replaced but there are limited options that will fit. Heat is the biggie. A chiller adds complexity, noise and cost. My basic BC29 ran quite warm and that combined with the cost of replacing bulbs made me upgrade to LEDs.

They are a good basic tank but many people (me included) sell them and move on to something else.

As Evil said, unless there's something you must have about this tank, consider other options.

Don't get me wrong. I started in this hobby with a BC14 and loved it. But I also put about as much money into it for upgrades (skimmer, pumps, filtration, lighting, cooling, etc...) as I did for the tank itself. Now that I know better, I wouldn't do it again. At the same time though, when I got into the hobby, there weren't nearly as many options for AIO tanks, or as many options for complementary equipment that was worth a damn. It's a very different scene now than it was even 5 years ago.

• 1 month later...
ClownTriggerDude

Most of us experienced reef keepers tend to like a sump, so we can buy or make our filtration systems to suit our individual needs.

But, there is nothing wrong with these one and all tanks if,.....you keep the fish bio-load to a minimum !

Here's my recommendations-

Do not,....use the bio-balls.

Buy a clean-up crew.

Skimmers are not needed with a low load, just do weekly water changes. I have the Oceanic 29g BioCube and bought the CadLights nano skimmer and love it !

I also added the Aqua Gadget Mini Reactor, but it's also not needed. Just use media bags.

Use GFO. (activated carbon, but not 24/7)

Wide pattern water flow. (No dead spots)

If heat becomes an issue, you can buy better fans, get the hook on the side fans, or cut a hole in the middle of the hood and screw on a fan.

Buy good quality live rock or use dead rock and the bottled bacteria, like Dr. Tim's One and Only and his Fishless ammonia. I used the latter with great results !

Pick out your two or three favorite small fish, and be careful on how much you feed.

Use high quality test kits and test very often, until the tank is well established.

These tanks do not to be high dollar. Just keep the bioload,....... low.

Archived