Pod Your Reef

2 Gallon "Cookie Jar"

Jimmyboo

Ya nice corals.

You should figure out how to link pictures in the thread.

You can keep the GSP on it's own rock, to help keep control of it.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bristle worms are good guys. Nice corals!

Why all the hate for bristle worms, they do a great job cleaning up

I feed mine. I think hey got touched by one or two BTW it hurts like you won't believe and it can take a few weeks for fingers to return to normal.

NorthGaHillbilly
I am immune to their bristles or something... I try to get stung but nothing happens. :(

If your ever in ga swing by, my fellas will be happy to oblige

You got a nice assortment, keep an eyes on the green star polyps. The armor of god is some the fastest growers I have :)

haha thanks!

Not to mention it was the biggest frag too!

Ya nice corals.

You should figure out how to link pictures in the thread.

You can keep the GSP on it's own rock, to help keep control of it.

yah I will try it later today.

What does everyone suggest about feeding of the corals?

best,

JB

This thread is useless without pics. lol

Don't feed in such a small environment. Just asking for algae issues. Otherwise perhaps a tiny bit once / week right before your water change.

You can feed coral frenzy, oyster feast or something like that. Do you plan on 100% water changes after feeding?

I plan on doing a full review on the cultivated reef page, but heres the rundown.

--------

The box as it arrived yesterday

wj2o.png

It seems as though they sent me 6 frags when I ordered 5, not sure if it was a mistake or an act of generosity. Either way, thats great!

Here is one of the frags:

uqxy.jpg

I then let the temps match and started acclimating the coral for good measure.

5pn6.jpg

w018.jpg

The frags in the tank:

rubi8.jpg

The GSP when first put in the tank,

89av.jpg

I was scooping up hitchhikers for hours from the box,

5pn6.jpg

I then double checked the bags and found a sizeable brittle star that was sitting in almost no water. Luckily I saved him,

6xdjf.jpg

ee34.jpg

more hitchhikers make themselves known,

0is0.jpg

w7ued.jpg

The Tank today,

https://imageshack.com/i/na5w81bj'>5w81b.jpg

Just be careful, not all hitchhikers are welcomed. That asternia could be a cute little thing but they can also multiply out of control.

Have you poked it? I poke stuff to see how it reacts if it reacts it is some type of animal and go from there if it just stays there and doesn't react to the poke it might be some type of macro algae.

Have you poked it? I poke stuff to see how it reacts if it reacts it is some type of animal and go from there if it just stays there and doesn't react to the poke it might be some type of macro algae.

Just poked, no movement.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I have been following a brittle star leg that was lost a few weeks ago.

It was sitting under a rock, its been about a week and today it sort up poked it leg up. I thought it was just the dead skeleton of the leg but lo and behold when I touched it with a stick and uncovered it, the leg has now grown a new body and the body is starting to grow the additional legs. Even with that, part of the leg in the beginning was cut off, so it was in really bad shape.

Amazing what can happen in the reef tanks.

Best,

JB

• 2 months later...

So I am at the 3-4 month range and ready to order some inverts besides the numerous stomella snails running around the tank. I am thinking about:

1 peppermint shrimp.

2 blue leg hermits.

1 Emerald crab.

What do people think? should I scale it back.

I enjoy jar tanks. Yours seems to be progressing quite well :)

I think you are fine. The Emerald is likely to bulldoze in a tank that size, they often try to wedge themselves in odd places to get algae. He also may end up starving himself after a while. I had one in a 5 gallon that did that. He ate all the algae and then starved.
Peppermints occasionally decide they like the taste of corals if they are hungry enough, so keep that in mind.

My emerald crabs eat left over food, my friends will actually come out and wave his claws waiting for him to feed him with the tweezers.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, so sorta and update/question on the tank.

Overall, the tank has progressed pretty well, I mean no more serious algae outbreaks and it looks pretty clean, my big problem is, there is very limited coral growth in the tank. I am not sure if it has to do with me only changing the water once ever 2 weeks, or other issues, but the coral is meh.

The coral looks good, but it just isn't really growing.

I have been reading some threads and any tips would be appreciated.

Also thinking of adding some inverts and recommendations would be great!

Thank You,

JB :)

post-84368-0-91356500-1413408811_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived