Innovative Marine Aquariums

Unhappy GSP?

Partially Submerged

Partially Submerged

I have a green star polyp that's in my tank for about 6 weeks. It's been growing nicely (surprise), but recently I've seen it closed a lot, especially in the evenings. Two recent changes might be affected them: I've upgraded my lights from Picotope stock lighting to a 14W Par30. I think it's been around 10 days since I changed the lights. The other thing is that my two sexy shrimp seem to have developed a liking for the GSP and tend to hang out on it. Could it be that they are bothering it?

Partially Submerged

Oh, really? I always thought they were among the safest shrimp/crabs. I'll feed them some more.

Test attachment:

My GSP seems to go into periods where it remains closed for 1-3 days then poof it comes back with new growth. A while back my two cleaner shrimps decided to begin hanging out on top of it, I suspect due to a new bloom of copepods aka: "snacks". The GSP remained closed up while they putzed around. Eventually the shrimp went on to new shiney things and after a few days the GSP popped back out. Too, mine typically nap during the night - all closed up tightly and poof back up in the morning.

knock on wood, but I have not had any of my GSP close up other than at night. It's interesting to note that if the room has even the slightest amount of ambient light at night, they do not close. Corals need to rest.....could that be your issue? Perhaps it's not getting dark enough? Just a thought.

My gsp closes every evening when the lights are off and then they open again when the lights come on. If they're disturbed, with a water change for example, they can stay closed for longer periods.

GSP can be moody, they will close for a couple days at a time with no rhyme or reason. rest assured if you look at all the threads on people trying to rid them of their system, i assure you they are still alive. They will open up when they feel like it lol. 1stimereefer is right, if you move their location to an area with more/less flow or light or a water change can disturb them but will eventually adjust

Archived