inTank Media Baskets

SR-80 Tank Build, Episode #5: Livestock, Dosing Pump and Auto Top-Off In t

Marine Depot

Marine Depot
  • 1 month later...
gahumphrey

Do you have any updated shots on this build? I'ld love to see how things are going on your tank.

I did go through all the videos in the series. I know you're using a fluidized media reactor. What kind of media are you using? I'm using TLF NPX Bioplastics. With the reactor and bioplastics inline with the skimmer, I've never had an algae issues. I recently added another reactor with carbon.

I'm just not getting the kind of polyp extension I'd like to see and I'm wondering if the Bioplastics have anything to do with that.

I'm also constantly worrying i'm giving too much light to the tank.

Anyway, thanks for making these videos and all the other great posts y'all are making.

George

Marine Depot

Do you have any updated shots on this build? I'ld love to see how things are going on your tank.

I did go through all the videos in the series. I know you're using a fluidized media reactor. What kind of media are you using? I'm using TLF NPX Bioplastics. With the reactor and bioplastics inline with the skimmer, I've never had an algae issues. I recently added another reactor with carbon.

I'm just not getting the kind of polyp extension I'd like to see and I'm wondering if the Bioplastics have anything to do with that.

I'm also constantly worrying i'm giving too much light to the tank.

Anyway, thanks for making these videos and all the other great posts y'all are making.

George

Thanks so much for the compliments and I am glad to hear you are enjoying the tank build. The aquarium is coming along well and all of the corals are growing in nicely.

reeftopia%203.0.1.jpg

We are using the Innovative Marine MiniMax reactor with AquaMaxx Phosphate Out Pro. I also utilize some carbon inside of a media basket with a plastic sponge on top.

Bio-Pellets can certainly affect your corals and you might consider getting some trace element additives as this worked for me on my home aquarium when using bio-pellets. Specifically potassium along with a broad spectrum trace element additive. Some types of bacteria that proliferate with the use of bio-pellets can deplete these levels in your aquarium making it impossible for corals to grow. I am not saying this will fix it, but is worth a shot. Of course check your major parameters and phosphate levels to ensure these are in check as well.

As for lighting, I had to adjust the Radion lights I am using on the SR-80 down to about 35% output during the initial acclimation and have since increased it up to about 45% of total output. I have also found that running with a heavy blue spectrum helps coral respond better to LED. This may also help perk up your corals a bit.

Take care and feel free to let me know if you have more questions.

-Robert F.

gahumphrey

Robert, thanks so much for the feedback. Definitely gives me a lot to think about. The tank looks really, really great. I'm seriously thinking about maybe pulling out the biopellets. They're doing wonders for my BioCube but i can't help but think that's part of my challenge with the SR-80.

I've been using Zeovit LPS Amino Acid Concentrate and Pohl's Extra religiously along with Seachem's Reef Fusion part 1 & 2 and Seachem's Reef Plus.

I may switch over to Continuum per the recommendation in your SR-80 build.

With no algae in the tank i've been a bit lazy with checking parameters. After reading your note I checked and both Phosphate and Nitrate are too high. Time for a big waterchange.

Which chamber did you put your media basket in?

Thanks again for your insight and help - and as always the awesome service the rest of the team at MarineDepot.com gives when need help with orders!!

P.S. Next time you run a special on the Fusion 30L i'll have to pick one up to replace my BioCube!

Marine Depot

Robert, thanks so much for the feedback. Definitely gives me a lot to think about. The tank looks really, really great. I'm seriously thinking about maybe pulling out the biopellets. They're doing wonders for my BioCube but i can't help but think that's part of my challenge with the SR-80.

I've been using Zeovit LPS Amino Acid Concentrate and Pohl's Extra religiously along with Seachem's Reef Fusion part 1 & 2 and Seachem's Reef Plus.

I may switch over to Continuum per the recommendation in your SR-80 build.

With no algae in the tank i've been a bit lazy with checking parameters. After reading your note I checked and both Phosphate and Nitrate are too high. Time for a big waterchange.

Which chamber did you put your media basket in?

Thanks again for your insight and help - and as always the awesome service the rest of the team at MarineDepot.com gives when need help with orders!!

P.S. Next time you run a special on the Fusion 30L i'll have to pick one up to replace my BioCube!

I place the media basket on the 1st overflow chamber on the left side. I placed the reactor in the second chamber next to that on the left. On the right, side I have the filter sock in place and the Tunze skimmer in the second chamber after that.

Be careful with pulling the bio-pellets off your system right away. Slowly remove small amounts at a time and give it 1-2 weeks before removing more pellets. If you pull them offline all at once this could cause a tank crash.

Thanks so much for watching the videos and enjoy your weekend!

Archived