Pod Your Reef

New test results 14th day ... some concerns

darkdancer333

darkdancer333
I tested the tank today. This is the 14th day..

Nitrate = 10-15

Nitrite = 0.2

Ammonia = 0

Ca = 3.9

Kh = 3.0

MG = 1380

The tank has diatoms and amphipods. I see some green algae starting on the live rock.

I had 2 hermit crabs that are a week in the tank. Today I got 2 more hermits and 2 turbo snails

Before I started adding coral and clowns just wanted to know about my test results.

I think my nitrate is a tad high?

Any advice be appreciated

thx

masterbuilder

IMO..your tank is not quite cycled. Nitrites are still detectable and will keep your Nitrates elevated for a bit longer. Wait a bit longer until your Nitrites are undetectable and then do a couple of large water changes to export the Nitrates. Wait a few days, test it again and do another water change if Nitrates are higher than you want. Add as many easy/robust corals as you want after that but add fish slowly.

The best reefer I know says....don't even think about adding anything other than the cleanup crew to a new tank for at least two months. Probably an excellent idea and we should all head this advise.

darkdancer333

IMO..your tank is not quite cycled. Nitrites are still detectable and will keep your Nitrates elevated for a bit longer. Wait a bit longer until your Nitrites are undetectable and then do a couple of large water changes to export the Nitrates. Wait a few days, test it again and do another water change if Nitrates are higher than you want. Add as many easy/robust corals as you want after that but add fish slowly.

The best reefer I know says....don't even think about adding anything other than the cleanup crew to a new tank for at least two months. Probably an excellent idea and we should all head this advise.

Do I do water changes now are wait about a week

Archived