inTank Media Baskets

Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride Solution for Fishless Cycling

Kailua-Kona

Kailua-Kona

This is a cheap and accurate way to add Ammonia to a tank* without having to worry about surfactants that are in Household Ammonia. The only problem I found was that my sample was less potent than the product claimed. I used two different test kits to make sure I was getting an accurate reading, Salifert and API.

*The directions call for one drop per gallon of water, but it took me three drops per gallon to achieve 2ppm NH3/NH4.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had my rocks in a dark bucket (baking) for about 60 days. After the first 30 days, I began to add Ammonia Chloride to keep 3ppm at bay (every 3-4 days) until I noticed (having tested every day) the Ammonia was being consumed quick enough to have it go from 3ppm to 0ppm in less than 24.

Yesterday I placed the rocks into the display (from the dark bucket) and my water started with 0A 0Ni 0Na. Now that the display is up, before adding fish I will feed the tank (just like I would feed it daily with the tank fully stocked - years from now!) daily for a week, testing. Finally, add the "One & Only Nitrifying Bacteria;" before adding the CUC.

I just started this 2 days ago. I added the "One & Only Nitrifying Bacteria" and then added 1 drop per gallon. I tested ammonia yesterday and was around 3ppm. I found two different directions on their site. One said "Do nothing on day 2" and the other said "Add ½ dose and wait 24 hours and measure again." I did this and will measure today.

Archived