inTank Media Baskets

North Ga Hillbilly's Bare Bottom 20G (Ramping up for an upgrade)

NorthGaHillbilly

im not sure, this one weve got is a real POS, no matter what I try I can still get better pics with Bree's, the lady of the house, I phone 5

Well in that case, keep on the iphone!
  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im not sure, this one weve got is a real POS, no matter what I try I can still get better pics with Bree's, the lady of the house, I phone 5

I've got a fancy dslr w/ a macro lens and sometimes I wonder if I should just use my phone.. :wacko:

NorthGaHillbilly

I HOPE I've got most of what I "need" to let stuff start growing out. Ive got the caps I want, tho I want a few encrusting monti's. I've got enough Zs & Ps that I feel good enough to hold off till I see something that really catches my eyest. And today I got a $10 acan frag, ll heads total with three being about full size. I also got a small pink encrusting chalice, three eyes on this one, not sure how much these "should" cost, but I got it for a price I felt fine about. I dipped them, drip acclimated, and then within 10 min of being in the tank the acans were putting out feeders, so I obliged and fed the two chalices and the acan mysis. They all ate happily, even with being assaulted by some half starved hermits.

These are the best I can do pic wise with the equipment I've got to work with

pinkchalice_zps620f4ce4.jpg

This guy got really washed out as its not very far from the color of coraline

acan_zps4bf78036.jpg

NGaHB

NorthGaHillbilly

Really digging that chalice :). I would keep it shaded and slowly move it into direct light over a few weeks.

10-4 Ive got it under a ledge, but pulled it out trying to get a pic

As a side note I noticed a few manjo anemones from the new piece of "premium" live rock I got to seed in some more diversity. I went at them with some kalk and they have yet to rear their ugly heads, hopefully I got em.

NorthGaHillbilly

Met up with a really solid fella today, local reefer, and got some new palys, a single mushroom I hope to be able to keep under controle, a random birds nest frag as a freeby, and a watermelon chalice frag. my shaded areas are getting pretty crowded as I try and acclimate everything, I did get to use my new frag rack tho, so thats a solid. pics to come

NorthGaHillbilly

Well gentlemen, I've got quite a win today. The fiance and I went to a reef store on the way home from the lake house. She picked out a small yellow goby as her first fish in the tank. She then went into how the tank looks sloppy because of "all these cords" and "that big black rim". Looks like she's buying a new rimless tank and I'm getting a sump set up. The move will probably take a few months all said and done, but she's in. Dosent care a bit about shooting, big bass... But she's into the tank. B)

NorthGaHillbilly

Red clalice is really extending out well

redC_zpsda575e1e.jpg

New Watermelon chalice frag, pulled out for picture

watermelon_zps6156e04d.jpg

Hungry Acans

acan_zps1b748c6c.jpg

Dont really have plans for any SPS other than caps, but this came from a very solid local reefer I met as a freebe, and the lady came home to inform me that we will be getting more SPS

Birdsnest_zps14294551.jpg

NorthGaHillbilly

Got my ATO going today :D

image_zps70cba26b.jpg

A few new pics, including the first fish choice by my other half

image1_zps13e4e299.jpeg

IMG_0140_zpsa0e5d8db.jpg

IMG_0135_zps33f67ae3.jpg

NGaHB

NorthGaHillbilly

Ordered a Panorama pro actinic strip to retro fit as an extension onto my HM. I think I have a mounting situation worked out in my head. Also ordered some coral frenzy, the original and the pellets, I am looking forward to seeing how stuff responds.

NorthGaHillbilly

Couple of top downs, including new orange plate. Really diggin the turquoise palys, they have really colored up since getting in the tank.

image_zpse1caf9a0.jpeg

image2_zpsb73ff486.jpeg

image1_zps872ee95f.jpeg

NorthGaHillbilly

That plate looks awesome. Will you be adding sand I forgot?

Not planning on it, I've got a tank wasp coming up in the next few months, but i plan to keep it bare bottom. My ocd drive to have extreme flow, along with seeing several sand beds vaccumed out makes me warey. I had sand in ky first tank, but since then they were all bare.

NGaHB

Dude!! Your tank is wonderful! The Goby looks so happy and relaxed, awesome awesome!!

What's this coral here called? I really like it!

IMG_0140_zpsa0e5d8db.jpg

Cheers mate!

NorthGaHillbilly

Dude!! Your tank is wonderful! The Goby looks so happy and relaxed, awesome awesome!!

What's this coral here called? I really like it!

Cheers mate!

check your thread LOL! its a birds nest

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

NorthGaHillbilly

Wanted to put a few coral onto the rocks and off the bottom of the tank, so some changes were in order flow wise. I took out the left koralina and put the right one on a timer, 6 hours on 6 off. I put the acan up in the rockwork, as well as the red chalice, both seem REALLY happy about the move. I just got done feeding and this new plate is a hog, ate probably 10 mysis and three pellets. the red chalice was chowin down as were the acan, however the watermelon chalice is yet to eat anything.

Tested parameters today as well

Alk 8.5

Calcium 400

ph 8

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

If anyone has any suggestions water chemistry wise Im all ears

Panorama Pro actinic strip should be here tomorrow, also the Coral Frenzy food, as well as the pellets. Looking forward to seeing how the tank responds to the new light and the food.

Thanks

NGaHB

NorthGaHillbilly

Actinics are on! I have been wanting an actinic supplement for a long time, with all my tanks over the years I have always just had a MH alone, and with LEDs being so compact and accessable it looked like it was time to give it a try. I searched around alot and was worried that one led strip would not be enough to show when the main lights are on. I ended up going with a Panorama Pro strip and I couldnt be happier. My mounting situation might be ghetto, but it is working well to this point.

IMG_0035_zps8e59ed8c.jpg

IMG_0036_zpsf968a17b.jpg

Here are some FTSs

MH alone

IMG_0040_zps372b8895.jpg

MH + Actinic

IMG_0039_zps4589279e.jpg

Panorama Pro Only

IMG_0041_zps764f4851.jpg

I hope to get some decent pictures later on, but you get the idea. The pop that comes from the actinic is insane. really glad it worked out.

NGaHB

NorthGaHillbilly

Im afraid Ive let my feeding get alittle out of control, my nitrates are up around 10... time for a big WC and slacking off on feeding. Ho Humm

Hi, just started following. That's cool that your mom saved your rock live all that time so you could restart. I got one of my sons involved in saltwater. Then he helped me expand into corals. Best wishes to you and your build.

NorthGaHillbilly

Hi, just started following. That's cool that your mom saved your rock live all that time so you could restart. I got one of my sons involved in saltwater. Then he helped me expand into corals. Best wishes to you and your build.

Its funny you say that, thats exactly how we progressed! She had a FOWLR and I started looking into coral, next thing you know we were full blown into reef tanks. She dosent keep a SW tank now, moved into Discus, but I REALLY appreciated her keeping the tank set up for 7+ years. Best of luck to both of you... Im off to check out your thread :D

Momma's discus

IMAG0024.jpg

New Acan and chalice, also got a rainbow monti

42dfd764-8b7a-46bd-83af-031f8716dcee_zps

Wow, your Mom's discus tank is beautiful. I've always wanted to do a planted tank but I am a one tank at a time person for now!

NorthGaHillbilly

Was out of town for a few days, came home to some noticeable growth on all the caps and the rainbow monti. The acan seems to want to be out in the open more which im happy about to get it out of the acclimation cave. Big water change to come tomorrow and general maintenance.

My spending on the tank is about to dry out for about two months, let things grow out and let me spend money on this up coming homeymoon/wedding. I do plan on getting a RKL to further automate the system alittle so that I feel better about the time away. I'm mainly looking to have a redundancy on the heater control, but am excited to have more control of everything.

NGaHB

NorthGaHillbilly

quick update before I head out the door. Ive got all my plumbing stuff to get a sump on the system, Im going to cut glass for the baffles monday and hopefully get it glued up by tuesday. I plan to drain the tank down enough to get to the bulk heads next weekend, plumb it all in and well have a sump in opperation :D

I went with a CPR bulk head mount overflow box and a sicce 1.5 as a return pump. Expecting to get a SCA 302 skimmer within a month, but keeping an eye out for a deal locally between now and then.

Archived