tested today here are my results

ewilson04

Sg- 1.033

Temp- 80.6

ph- 8

Ammonia- 0

Nitrite- .25

Nitrates- 10

I started the tank with BRS dry rock and about a week later I added some live rock from my LFS. My question is the tank has been up since the 7th is my cycle on track as I have brown algae growing already

The salinity is a bit high. Most people shoot for 1.025 to 1.026.

I think you need a source of ammonia to build up the ammonia processing bacteria - without a source they will reduce in number and will not be able to handle it when you add fish. You can dose ammonium chloride or add a dead shrimp or feed a little fish food every few days.

Ya I'm trying to over do my top off to dilute down to 1.025 its slowly getting there. Ill pick up some fish food I just figures with the die off from the LR would get the ammonia spike. What about the brown algae?

The salinity is a bit high. Most people shoot for 1.025 to 1.026.

I think you need a source of ammonia to build up the ammonia processing bacteria - without a source they will reduce in number and will not be able to handle it when you add fish. You can dose ammonium chloride or add a dead shrimp or feed a little fish food every few days.

I don't agree. The indication of nitrites indicates that the cycle has already commenced, especially since you have nitrates. I haven't followed your previous data but it seams like you are on the back end of your cycle, especially if you have diatoms. Wait for those nitrites to be undetectable and you will be golden, perform a water change and slowly stock.

I don't agree. The indication of nitrites indicates that the cycle has already commenced, especially since you have nitrates. I haven't followed your previous data but it seams like you are on the back end of your cycle, especially if you have diatoms. Wait for those nitrites to be undetectable and you will be golden, perform a water change and slowly stock.

Isn't it true that all we can say is that there are some ammonia-processing bacteria because there is nitrite but without the previous data there's no way of really telling if there's a substantial enough population to add livestock. I'm not an expert on this - still learning!

Isn't it true that all we can say is that there are some ammonia-processing bacteria because there is nitrite but without the previous data there's no way of really telling if there's a substantial enough population to add livestock. I'm not an expert on this - still learning!

He's been through 2 weeks, generally cycle takes 3 weeks on average although its hardly the same for everyone. Sometimes starting with dry rock prolongs the cycle. I always say start your tank, and ignore it for 3 weeks. As always, go slow.

He's been through 2 weeks, generally cycle takes 3 weeks on average although its hardly the same for everyone. Sometimes starting with dry rock prolongs the cycle. I always say start your tank, and ignore it for 3 weeks. As always, go slow.

Agree. Also, I can't read on my phone - I thought he was on day 7!

No I went 2 weeks with just dry rock and last week added 5lbs of LR so should I give it another week until nitrites are 0

I'd do a water change, do it slightly less than 1.025 to add to the tank, to drop your overall SG down, top ups alone wont do it, wait for your nitrite to zero, nitrates aren't to much of a worry this early on.

Agree above, then add your cleanup crew, I have a 120 ltr approx. sumped nano here in the uk, now nearly 3 month on, I have a good 10 nassarius snails (good for digging in my extra fine sand), probably 6 or 8 various others including turbo's for the glass, a couple of cerith's that just mooch about, a brittle star (thats just shown himself LOL), 4 say 3/4 inch algae hermits, and a couple of red legs.

Fish for now, only a couple of clowns whilst it all settles in.

I setup with live oolite bahamas real fine sand, extra cured live rock total, my cycle was a couple of weeks, then I slowly added the rest, I have mushroom corals, a torch, bunches of xenia and a jazmine rock, again for now.

I am running a bubble magus c3.5 as a skimmer, and an aqua illumination hydra light, really as a team i can't fault :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well over the last two weeks ive added my CUC from reefcleaners and also 2 clowns my readins from todays test were

Temp 80.1

Ph 8.0

Ammonia .5

Nitrite .5

Nitrate 10

SG 1.027

Everything has been thriving my clowns are swimming and playing and my CUC has been busy doing there jobs. Its just seems to me that my parameters are still off

Archived