inTank Media Baskets

Evolve 8 bommies ~ New fish, with beards~

spazizz

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cant wait to see this tank in a year. i wanna see that stylo touch the surface

I'm not sure if it will do that. I think it's an encrusting type. There really no info on the internet about this version.

I coudn't decide so I bought both!

DSCI0002_zpsc2000128.jpg

The petco brand was $50 and I got a deal on the evolve for $22.

DSCI0003_zps57acd117.jpg

Petco pros-

Quality looking tank

Glass

Better back chambers

Cons-

Smaller water volume

Less room for corals

More room for errors to happen

Forgot one thing, the wife doesnt like that it's small ;) but then again she keeps wanting me to get a 100g tank... No way. Im a pico/nano guy.

Evolve pros-

Water volume is great

Plenty of room for corals

Cons-

Terrible looking back space

Acrylic... I scratch the hell out of acrylic.

The lid sucks.

DSCI0006_zps7065ec8c.jpg

The back chamber here are almost big enough to fit the new cad skimmer. just 1/4 inch to small..(I think)

do the petco. just take the stupid thing off the bottom. they are pretty nice tanks

the local one to me has a 6.25 gallon one

14798504812_fe03a9a386_o.jpg

really wanna snag that one

They had two of those and the petco employee dropped one while the other one was already shattered. Ive always wanted a cubish tank and wanted to stay under 12 inches wide(for the par38s spread) so that's why I chose the smaller cube.

Not sure how Ill remove the bottom piece.

do the petco. just take the stupid thing off the bottom. they are pretty nice tanks

the local one to me has a 6.25 gallon one

14798504812_fe03a9a386_o.jpg

really wanna snag that one

Oh and... Get it! Seems like a good price to me. That one is stylish.

Cute aquarium. You don't plan on adding a little more rock to make the tank look a little bigger? The reef bommie Idea is nice, but the Individual little islands can be taller. Good concept though. I like the layout and coral choices. :)

Forgot one thing, the wife doesnt like that it's small ;) but then again she keeps wanting me to get a 100g tank... No way. Im a pico/nano guy.

Hah, it's usually the other way around, when it comes to tanks anyway.

What do you plan on keeping? I figure you're trying to pick one over the other right?

If you do want to remove that bottom piece - if it's anything like the fluval chi I had just take a razor blade to it, between the plastic and the glass. Personally I liked the bottom piece on my chi but I did end up removing when I turned it into an ato reservoir, it was easy enough.

I hope you're upgrading though?! You need to keep the 5.5 around

DSCI0002_zpsb202f68e.jpg

It feels really cramped in there with that wp-10 taking up so much space. I feel like the corals are going to grow into each other next week. But the tank is so niiiiiiice.

DSCI0005_zps170646b2.jpg

Minimal ftw.

Thanks though :)

Cute aquarium. You don't plan on adding a little more rock to make the tank look a little bigger? The reef bommie Idea is nice, but the Individual little islands can be taller. Good concept though. I like the layout and coral choices. :)

I tried having a large reef, I just failed at it. I plan on this being a mushroom tank in the future with two gobies.

I might try the evolve 8 next water change, maybe..

I already removed the bottom piece(made of particle board), it was not easy I had to soak in water to soften it then I chipped it away with a knife. It was a grueling task.

The 5.5 will be no more but its heart and soul shall live on jumping from one body to another. Only the glass cage around it will change but the concept will stay the same.

Hah, it's usually the other way around, when it comes to tanks anyway.

What do you plan on keeping? I figure you're trying to pick one over the other right?

If you do want to remove that bottom piece - if it's anything like the fluval chi I had just take a razor blade to it, between the plastic and the glass. Personally I liked the bottom piece on my chi but I did end up removing when I turned it into an ato reservoir, it was easy enough.

I hope you're upgrading though?! You need to keep the 5.5 around

Well I switched to the evolve 8 already, I like the room. Ill use the evolve until it's to badly scratched then Ill switch to either the 3.7g or some thing else.

Ill post a pic once it's cleared up.

Be sure to keep sps corals far from each other. If one happens to just touch another u are gonna have major die back on both corals. So far your tanks look good. I spent 2 months messing with the aquascape in my ecopico aquarium and I still find myself slightly moving a rock here and there. It drives me crazy! Lol.

BattleAthletics

Well I switched to the evolve 8 already, I like the room. Ill use the evolve until it's to badly scratched then Ill switch to either the 3.7g or some thing else.

Ill post a pic once it's cleared up.

Did you mod it first? Should of modded it first, detrius trap in the back. I used to use a airline hose to remove detrius, its hard to get in the back too.

New pics of the Evolve 8

I switched the optics in par38 to 90s.

DSCI0001_zps594e5c61.jpg

DSCI0006_zps585fc1f8.jpg

Looks good Did you use new sand?

Thanks, I used the same sand.

Did you mod it first? Should of modded it first, detrius trap in the back. I used to use a airline hose to remove detrius, its hard to get in the back too.

I didn't mod any thing, what's the mod?

Are picO tanks $20 now?! Ha. jk. Ill be keeping the evolve 8 up. Once it's no longer useful(scratched) Ill probably get the cadlights 8.

I'm returning the 3.7g, it's way to small to be useful longterm imo. I will say it's a very nice tank though.

You could always get a custom PicO tank. :)

I feel you on the price. But I have to say they are really nice. You can get a LFS to order a Deep Blue for you, quality is reasonable but the black silicon makes it so nice.

No, not dimming it. I actually have the light 1-2 inches above the water line.

Makes sense. Are you using any dimming on it?? Sorry if this was already in your thread

Archived