Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hogue2112 6 Gallon Fluval Edge

hogue2112

Hello!

It took a while to find where my "tank thread" should be. I have decided that it should go here.

I fell in love with the Fluval Edge a while back and for some reason decided it would be an awesome reef tank. There are a lot of set backs with the tank its self, hopefully in the end it will be awesome!

Planned stock will be a large amount of corals. I will probably buy a statement coral and then just get decent frags for the rest. I am in the market for a frogspawn for that purpose. I also have 2 occelaris clowns, that I would like to host in the frogspawn.

Other than that my stock at the moment is :

3 nessarius snails

3 red leg hermits

3 astrea (possbily trochus) snails

1 occelaris

1 darwin occelaris

6 pounds of tonga cultured live rock

10 pounds of live sand (I very well may remove some of this, would like some feedback on it)

1 frag of a green candy cane.

1 frag of some purple leather. - If anyone could help figure out what exactly this is that would be great.

(I came home to a friend that thought it was a good idea to put some of his coral since he is selling his tank in mine. I was quite upset by this considering that he does not take great care of his tank - but the damage was done hours before I got home, so I will try to make them healthy.)

My tank has been up and running for approxiamately 20 days.

I have been looking for a powerhead for the tank - I have tried a 110GPH that was way too intense - so please don't reccomend the MP10 unless there is a way to get it below 200 GPH - I think that is just way too much flow, I could be wrong though.

I would like to have this be an incredible experience!

Here are some pictures.

Lighting is coming soon. I purchased some LED strips that seem to be pretty decent.

post-83424-0-99857200-1392910697_thumb.jpeg

post-83424-0-44100600-1392910702_thumb.jpeg

post-83424-0-28285000-1392910708_thumb.jpeg

post-83424-0-29503800-1392910713_thumb.jpeg

post-83424-0-26504200-1392910763_thumb.jpeg

Well the lighting finally came in! After a long battle with the postal service lol.

Four LED strips. I am working on a jig to mount them to for easy removal for water changes and whatnot as they will be sitting directly on the glass of my tank - or slightly elevated if heat transfer becomes an issue.

They really brighten up the tank, and everything seems to be responding well to them.

Pics will come later as soon as I figure out how to post them.

Also, I purchased a sweet frag of frogspawn and a Zoa colony. Livestock is done except for frag swaps and whatnot.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

110 GPH powerhead was wayyy to much. Bought a 70GPH, hoping that will provide a good amount of flow.

LED strips are cool, however I still need more power. Looking into options, most likely I will bite the bullet and build a new hood and make this a DIY project.

Purple encrusing leather has been purged.

Zoas are opened up and are an awesome orange color.

Always on the lookout for new frags!

Some low res pictures of the tank.

Candy Cane. Showing some insane growth for the amount of time that I have had it in here.

post-83424-0-87769700-1394554648_thumb.jpg

Current aqua scape.

post-83424-0-40652800-1394554695_thumb.jpeg

Frogspawn.

post-83424-0-56208700-1394554813_thumb.jpeg

I have no idea the name for these guys, if there is even one. I think its just a Zoa mutt.

post-83424-0-00804800-1394554850_thumb.jpeg

Very nice tank you have there. Those candy canes have grown a LOT for being 4 weeks old. Seeing the Edge 6 was what got me interested in saltwater tanks as it seems to be run pretty successfully without too many mods. If I am not mistaken building a light to fit in the existing fixture should go over pretty well.

Congrats on a successful start to this tank.

awesome tank really cant believe how your scape makes your tank look bigger then it really is! i have an 8 gal tank and doesnt look anything like yours lol.

ill be following your journal for sure. im a noobie reefer and am curious in the frog spawn...any special care needs?

Very nice tank you have there. Those candy canes have grown a LOT for being 4 weeks old. Seeing the Edge 6 was what got me interested in saltwater tanks as it seems to be run pretty successfully without too many mods. If I am not mistaken building a light to fit in the existing fixture should go over pretty well.

Congrats on a successful start to this tank.

Yeah I have been scouring the internet for something acceptable to buy and install, however I have found that life is not that easy sometimes. Once it gets warmer here in Ohio I am sure that I will be motivated to work on a DIY project for it.

awesome tank really cant believe how your scape makes your tank look bigger then it really is! i have an 8 gal tank and doesnt look anything like yours lol.

ill be following your journal for sure. im a noobie reefer and am curious in the frog spawn...any special care needs?

I enjoy the aquascape at the moment. I am was worried about gluing pieces together, since the opening of the top of my tank is only like 6 inches wide. LOL. I would have to break it again to remove it. So I just worked with some cool pieces of rubble rock that I got from the LFS on the cheap!

My frogspawn seems to desire a stronger light, I have noticed that he was leaning towards the natural sunlight that enters right behind the tank on the left side. So I moved him over there - at least for a few hours he gets the light he is looking for. LPS need stable parameters and trace elements, so I have found that just weekly water changes work well. That pretty much goes for any coral though.

My bio load is not high enough to require dosing or anything, however I am always looking to learn more about it and its benefits. I have found that it is hard to learn online about this stuff, as you have to sift through a lot of biased statements.

awesome. I may look to pick up a frog spawn myself then! so far my favorite is the ricordea and the hammer coral but the frogspawn is pretty neat.

Some updates!

The light came in, and it is epic. LED Metal Halide alternative, that actually has a little shimmer. That combined with my 4 strips make a nice look, I have three areas of my tank now. Left side is being drenched in actinic and UV with a mix of 14k. Center is blasted with 10k and14k for SPS growth (hopefully.) Right side is a mix of 6k, 10k, and 14k. Looks neat to me, and will hopefully allow me to raise different corals in different areas of the tank, while catering to their individual needs. I have been working on mounting all of my lighting in the hood, and pulled the trigger on some augmentations. :ninja:

On another note, I seem to be dealing with an algae bloom. I will attach a few pictures and any insight would be great. My normal parameters are perfect (PH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite) I think it may be time for me to buy other tests. Phosphorus, calcium, any others?

post-83424-0-97174400-1395155481_thumb.jpg

post-83424-0-53953300-1395155523_thumb.jpg

Some new "GSP." We will see if it will color up or not. Also some macro algae that I entertained in my tank for a few days. Didn't want to stay where mounted, so I bailed.

post-83424-0-79436400-1395155572_thumb.jpg

Like earlier mentioned, the hood has been built. I have my 20W LED setup mounted on the aluminum grate, and about 20W of LED strips. Pretty cool, the corals love it. Here is a pick of some of the new growth on the Zoas, that I think are "Ring of Fire." post-83424-0-67719800-1395335224_thumb.jpg

Well I bought a chemi-pure bag. LFS turned me on to it. Phosphates are low - under .25

Said it wouldn't hurt. Hopefully he is right!

Sweet tank!

That lime green-dusty looking algae is probably a form of coraline (if that's what you're referring to)

That is exactly what I am referring to. So that just the natural process or coaline? Should it be happening on my sandbed too?

So that chemi-pure kicks A**. Little to no algea growth now. Concerned that my snails may not be able to eat!

It also swells a considerable amount... Almost created an overflow out of the back!

Does anyone have any coral suggestions? I would like to add just a few more frags and then watch everything grow!

Archived