Coral Vue Hydros

Aiptasia while cycling nuvo 16

Brccklyn

Hey everyone. I started cycling my nuvo 16 2 weeks ago. To cycle i used about 12lbs of brs reef saver rock and bought 3 pounds purple coraline algae live rock from an lfs. When i first brought home the rock i noticed a small plant but thought it was alright till I did some research and found out it was aiptasia (100% sure). It was only on one rock but have since found it on about half of the lfs purchased rocks 1 1/2 lbs. I decided to take the rocks that had visible aiptasia out of the tank today but I am unsure if my cycle has been ruined or stalled by doing so. The rocks are all small rocks so I will toss them if necessary. Any advice? My worst fear was starting the tank off on the wrong foot. Thanks everyone.

I have seen two in my tank since starting it. I blasted them with boiling tank water from a syringe and it has worked like a charm. Much better than any of the products I have used.

I have done many tanks and I have NEVER had one that was aiptasia free. They always sneak in somewhere. It's always just been a maintenance thing for me. Blast them as you see them.

blacksand_reefer

I had the same thing with the rock but I left it in there. When the cycle was up what was left was eaten by a peepermint shrimp I got in the cuc.

printerdown01

I have tried a lot of things over the years. If the rocks are small and the tank it new… pull the rocks out and use a cigar lighter to incinerate them. I know it sounds weird, but the smallest bit of tissue left over regenerates a new one. Three pieces of tissue left over and you now have 3. Charing them totally destroys them. Peppermints, lemon juice, boiling water all work but all risk letting tissue float around the tank (pepps are especially good at scattering them). Some people have taking to using lasers, but a good old fashioned cigar (works a LOT better than a cigarette lighter) works just as well as a $300 laser (except that you have to remove the rock to use it).

I just pulled the rock out and will cycle without live rock and keep the dead rock. I'm only a week into the cycle so id rather catch it in the beginning rather than have to fight them in the future. I would kill them but about 6 of my 10 small rocks have them I'm assuming because they came from the same lfs tank.

Ive taken out my live rock and currently only have dry rock in my tank. My tank was in the middle of my cycle when i did so. Today when i tested my water it came back at 0.50ppm Ammonia, With Nitrites off of the chart. Will the cycle continue without the live rock? My water is still testing ammonia 12 hours later without the rock so im assuming all is still on track. I plan on getting a piece of non aiptasia live rock and gravel this week to seed im assuming a little late but better than never. Any suggestions anyone?

Archived