Pod Your Reef

7.5 Gallon Mr. Aqua Tank

ReachTheSky

Man thats crazy. Have you thought about switching up the species of snails you have ?

Oh okay,I thought made it was from Micro-Reefs,I was going to ask how you liked it. But regardless it looks awesome. I need to get something like that for my girlfriends tank I'm putting together for her.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ReachTheSky

Yep... it's mostly the Nerite's that I have the problem with. If they don't stop coming out, I might trade them in for a couple of Astrea's.

I would definitely recommend the fauxverflow for all nano's. It's not that hard nor expensive to build and makes a world of different as far as appearance and water quality goes.

ReachTheSky

My first real disaster struck today. While I was away fishing, the Clownfish jumped out of the tank and died. :blush::blush::blush::tears::tears::tears:

He was..... a bit off. During the drive home, he jumped up in the bag repeatedly (foreshadowing). In the tank, he would often stick his head out of the water and occasionally splash it on the sides. Never found out what would trigger that kind of behavior. Tank parameters are fine, temperature is steady at 77-78 degrees and there's plenty of oxygenation.

ReachTheSky

lol... yea it did look like that. Such is the case with hybrids I guess.

I don't think I'd want another designer fish after this one. I'll check the LFS this weekend and see what's in stock.

ReachTheSky

I chose not to let his death bring me down. I got another Clownfish and a Fire Shrimp, along with a few new corals:

Red & Pink Frogspawn
IrEiCm8.jpg

Red/Blue Acans
8s6O9EV.jpg

Montipora Capricornis
XyDQBrz.jpg

There's also a new neon green Zoa colony but it hasn't opened up yet.

Taking good photographs with my DSLR is proving to be challenging! The colors being a bit washed out aside, the glass warps the image quite a bit unless taken directly.

Shoot in raw and readjust the contrast and saturation so the known white stuff is white that's a pretty good way to color correct.

ReachTheSky

Yea that's kinda what I tried to do there. You should see the original shots... the amount of blue was blinding. lol

lilmatty5dimes

sorry to hear about your clown. your going to have a ton of fun with this tank. can't wait to see it stocked.

• 2 months later...
ReachTheSky
Okie doke... so the things been running for about 3.5 months now? Doing very well! The Clown and shrimp are happy and corals are growing like weeds.

I don't have any pictures to post since my sister's been borrowing the DSLR but I'll have it back pretty soon.

I've made a few additions since the last update:

- Purple Montipora Capricornis

- Acropora (Millipora?)

- Pink Tubeworm

- Red/Green Zoa's

- Duncan

I was especially nervous about the Acropora since the tank is nowhere near mature yet. But I'm happy to report that he's doing very well. Coloration is good, polyps are massive and he's put on some noticeable bulk in the two weeks I've had him.

Continuing my 2-gallon water changes every 1-2 weeks and replacing the filter floss in the overflow each time.

Haven't really been testing much of anything (I know... bad Van!). Nitrates were around 5-10ppm last time I checked and I think with the water changes schedule, it's probably still there, if not lower. Last time I recall testing for PO4, it came out to 0.006 ppm. No that's not a typo.

As far as Ca/Alk/Mg is concerned... well I'm relying on the water changes to keep that stuff up to par. :) But when my SPS population gets bigger (both in size and numbers), I'll start to closely monitor it and perhaps start adding some limewater to my auto top-off.

Over and out!

ReachTheSky

Some growth progress! Some of the pictures are kind of crappy so I apologize. I will try to take better ones next time.

Red Montipora
Before:
XyDQBrzl.jpg
After:
jRlJ2sll.jpg

Frogspawn
Before:
IrEiCm8l.jpg
After:
LggqkwKl.jpg

And here are some of the newbies:

Acropora (Millipora?)
pS6rWdil.jpg

Red/Green Zoas:
Hn4HeQgl.jpg

ReachTheSky

I don't see why not but if you can go bigger (AC70 or 110), I would recommend you do so. That extra water volume and space comes in very, very handy!

ReachTheSky

Almost forgot this little bugger! I liked the look and growth of the red Montipora so much, I decided to get a purple one! So far they're both doing very well. I'll probably get a green one in the near future as well.

kSvQQinl.jpg

BrTOglwl.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived