Coral Vue Hydros

7.5 Gallon Mr. Aqua Tank

ReachTheSky

Thank you for the pictures do you have live rock in the filter

Sure thing. I don't at the present moment but I will transfer it soon. I put the live rock in the DT so I can inspect it for pests first.

An AC70 has a little less than a gallon of water volume, IIRC.

:)

Love where you're going with this, especially the false overflow.

Thank you! :D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A full dose of ammonia chloride (7 drops) and quite a bit of sinking pellet food was dumped right in on Saturday. Today, ammonia and nitrites read 0ppm and nitrates are at roughly 10-15ppm. Looks to me like it's ready to go. CUC is on the way as we speak and this weekend I'll introduce the first fish and coral. Can't wait!

Got the CUC today. Way more than I anticipated.

Question for you guys:

FD3CASo.jpg

What are these fan-like things that are on the snails back? I've seen them before in my old tank but didn't know if they're beneficial or not.

Pretty sure they are a type of feather worm. Most of the wild farmed SPS have them incorporated into the branches. Pretty sure they are just standard filter feeders, shouldn't cause any harm.

Got the CUC today. Way more than I anticipated.
Question for you guys:
FD3CASo.jpg
What are these fan-like things that are on the snails back? I've seen them before in my old tank but didn't know if they're beneficial or not.

That is a barnacle of some sort. Its very unlikely it will live long in a new tank there usually is not enough food in a new tank.

Ah... okay. Thank you RollaJase and Belac. I'll leave them be.

My concern was that I had them in my previous tank and they started to spread and grow on my corals as well.

Might as well give a little mini-update while I'm here.

CUC is in there and they're seriously going at it. They gave the three Nerite and two Nassarius, as promised but loaded the bags up with way too many Cerith's. I'd say at least 40 snails total, as opposed to the nine they described (!!!). Unfortunately that's way too many and I had to dispose of some. :unsure:

I contacted ORA to find out who their dealers are and they provided a list of LFS' nearby. I contacted them one by one to find out what their stock looks like. One of them (The Aquarium in Culver City) has a wonderful little Picasso in stock and they were nice enough to send me photos. This weekend I'm planning on doing a big water change and driving out there to pick him up, along with a softie.

Legendary Corals

Might as well give a little mini-update while I'm here.

CUC is in there and they're seriously going at it. They gave the three Nerite and two Nassarius, as promised but loaded the bags up with way too many Cerith's. I'd say at least 40 snails total, as opposed to the nine they described (!!!). Unfortunately that's way too many and I had to dispose of some. :unsure:

I contacted ORA to find out who their dealers are and they provided a list of LFS' nearby. I contacted them one by one to find out what their stock looks like. One of them (The Aquarium in Culver City) has a wonderful little Picasso in stock and they were nice enough to send me photos. This weekend I'm planning on doing a big water change and driving out there to pick him up, along with a softie.

Sounds like great progress! I love driving up to a LFS to pick something up. It's like bringing a new puppy home. :)

Sounds like great progress! I love driving up to a LFS to pick something up. It's like bringing a new puppy home. :)

Haha, yes indeed. One of the best feelings ever.

By the way I'm loving your coral selection! Such amazing colors and choices. I might be ordering from you in the very near future.

Legendary Corals

Haha, yes indeed. One of the best feelings ever.

By the way I'm loving your coral selection! Such amazing colors and choices. I might be ordering from you in the very near future.

If you ever need coral! :D Is today the day you go to the LFS?

If you ever need coral! :D Is today the day you go to the LFS?

No not today unfortunately since I'm going to be working late. :( But Saturday or Sunday for sure.

Ah... okay. Thank you RollaJase and Belac. I'll leave them be.

My concern was that I had them in my previous tank and they started to spread and grow on my corals as well.

Are you sure they were the same sort of creature. I have seen all sorts of feather worms spread in an aquarium and grow in corals. I have never seen barnacles spread in an aquarium they need quite a bit of suspended organics in the water to stay well fed.

I personally think they are very interesting to watch compared to other filter feeders. Mostly because they actively filter so you can see them going about finding food.

ReachTheSky

Yea I'm positive it was the same creature. It's looks and movement pattern is exactly the same.

My old tank was a nutrient-ridden nightmare toward the end but it had A LOT of fauna. It doesn't at all surprise me that they starting growing like weeds everywhere.

ReachTheSky

So this weekend didn't go as planned. The rainstorm and the Oscars combination made it waaaaaay too chaotic to leave work (I work near the Hollywood/Highland center) and get to the LFS without driving myself mad. But tomorrow will be the day since both have cleared up.

I seem to be having a bit of trouble keeping one particular Nerite Snail to stay put in the tank. Between yesterday and today, I found he climbed his way out and was giving my nightstand a polish... on three different occasions. :huh:

ReachTheSky

Ooooookay... I never imagined that this would be a problem. The snails are planning a mutiny - they simply will not stay in the tank! I'm constantly finding one or two of them on the outside of the glass or on the nightstand. One of them managed to slither half-way across the room before I caught him. <_< Luckily the dog didn't get to him first.

I'd like to avoid having to put a cover on the tank. I feel it'll totally ruin the look I'm aiming for. Is there something I can smear on the rim to keep them inside? Lime juice? Alcohol? Hot sauce? Nothing that'll hurt them - just a repellant. It's for their own good!

That is a problem with snails that can be intertidal species you have no guarantees you are going to keep them in there.
I have no idea about a repellent.

I'd think all of those would be to acidic and cause problems with PH and Alk ? I could be wrong. And alcohol would evaporate before it'd even do any good.

ReachTheSky

Today they seemed pretty good. No escape attempts so far. Lol.

Oh, I got my fish! Found a nice Snowflake and a cheapo Zoa at the LFS. Picture time:

2BtqS7cl.jpg
8ek7JUSl.jpg
2BtqS7cl.jpg
ReachTheSky

Really nice looking clown, I love designer clowns...one day :(.

Thank you! He's doing really well. Eats a ton. He already demolished the pod population on the glass and nibbles on my finger.

Electrical barbed wire should help with your snail escapes :D

Lol. Aw yea. I might need you to build one for me.

Where did you get the skimmer box for the AC70?

I don't have a skimmer on this tank. What are you referring to? I might be able to clear it up.

Have you experienced your snails going carpet surfering anymore ?

I believe he's talking about the skimmer box thats used on the inlet of your Aqua Clear,I'm pretty curious myself where you got it if you don't mind telllling :D

Thank you! He's doing really well. Eats a ton. He already demolished the pod population on the glass and nibbles on my finger.

Lol. Aw yea. I might need you to build one for me.

I don't have a skimmer on this tank. What are you referring to? I might be able to clear it up.

Yeah, sorry I meant the overflow box, it looks like a skimmer box for the AC70.

Have you experienced your snails going carpet surfering anymore ?

I believe he's talking about the skimmer box thats used on the inlet of your Aqua Clear,I'm pretty curious myself where you got it if you don't mind telllling :D

:D

ReachTheSky

Unfortunately.... yes. One of them made it out, down the stand and about 7-8 feet across the carpet. Found him this morning and slam-dunked him back into the tank. *sigh* <_< I should train Rorschach (my Clownfish) to knock them off when they get near the top.

Ahh... the overflow. ReeVo and I built that thing. We ordered cut-to-size black acrylic sheets from TAP Plastics, cut slots into it with a dremel, welded them together (Weld-On #4) and finally, siliconed it to the corner of the tank.

Archived