inTank Media Baskets

First Tank - BioCube 14 gallon

orbit

Some of the pictures that I wanted to upload yesterday....

I once thought I was computer-savvy. But can't crack photobucket down....Fail.

I just ordered my 14 gallon bio cube today and can't wait to get started.

Yay. Make sure to go through all the mods! So much info here.

post-83205-0-09376800-1393546819_thumb.jpg

post-83205-0-53353400-1393546838_thumb.jpg

post-83205-0-67010100-1393546851_thumb.jpg

Nice photobomb by your clown. Great tank so far.

Haha, I know.

Do you guys know why my clown is turning ashy?

Not black.... or dirty. Like he's been rolling around in dirt or something....

I'm trying my best to get my wife involved in my tank.

But she's not digging my dirty clown.

Nice tank! Any new updates? Fish? Corals?

After the fire shrimp, YWG, pulsing xenia, green star polyp and favia coral addition of last weekend, I'm taking a break for now (who knows?). My next addition, I think, though will be some sexy shrimps and more pom pom or some porcelain crabs? Dunno.

Can't get enough of the critters.

I just ordered my 14 gallon bio cube today and can't wait to get started.

Ohhhh man. You will have so much fun.

I had a Biocube 14 that had equipment/mods very similar to yours and it ran very well. Test in a couple of days and see if the parameters are still at at 0. Patience is key in this hobby.

Duly noted!

Be sure to keep that GSP and xenia isolated from your rockscape. It can grow fast and take over the tank if not careful.

And if you put sexy shrimp in, don't expect to see much of them. I have 5 in a 4 gallon tank at work and I don't see much of them. They are really small and disappear in the cracks.

Be sure to keep that GSP and xenia isolated from your rockscape. It can grow fast and take over the tank if not careful.

And if you put sexy shrimp in, don't expect to see much of them. I have 5 in a 4 gallon tank at work and I don't see much of them. They are really small and disappear in the cracks.

How do I keep GSP and Xenia in check? Some reefers told me to manage their growth. How can I control their growth? With lights?

That's disappointing about sexy shrimps.... I should maybe buy like 20 sexy shrimps maybe.

How do I keep GSP and Xenia in check? Some reefers told me to manage their growth. How can I control their growth? With lights?

That's disappointing about sexy shrimps.... I should maybe buy like 20 sexy shrimps maybe.

Put them on a rock isolated by sand. Keep a close eye on them and if they try growing on the sand, clip it off.

Instead of sexy shrimp, you might look into getting a peppermint or cleaner shrimp, or even one of each. I got my peppermint to deal with the pest anemone, which he did a great job on. While he isn't out all the time, he does come out at feeding time and does a little dance bouncing back and forth. The cleaner shrimp stayed out almost all the time.

Put them on a rock isolated by sand. Keep a close eye on them and if they try growing on the sand, clip it off. Instead of sexy shrimp, you might look into getting a peppermint or cleaner shrimp, or even one of each. I got my peppermint to deal with the pest anemone, which he did a great job on. While he isn't out all the time, he does come out at feeding time and does a little dance bouncing back and forth. The cleaner shrimp stayed out almost all the time.

Hmmm. I have a fire shrimp and a pistol shrimp. I think adding a cleaner would be a little too much. My fire shrimp's got monster whiskers like a catfish. Peppermint shrimps never really got my attention.... Maybe some camels?

Odd, my sexy shrimp are out front and center, usually chilling on the top of a Gorg. There is never a time you can't find them and mine are in a packed macro tank. Perhaps something is making them uncomfortable?

Hmmm. I have a fire shrimp and a pistol shrimp. I think adding a cleaner would be a little too much. My fire shrimp's got monster whiskers like a catfish. Peppermint shrimps never really got my attention.... Maybe some camels?

Camels are not reef safe.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATES.

A lot has happened since.

1. Bought more lifestock (1 bicolor dottyback, 3 sexy shrimp & 2 more pom pom crab).

2. Saw the bicolor dottyback attacking my YWG and 2 sexy shrimp disappeared.

3. Returned the bicolor dottyback for one more ocellaris clown (now I have a pair with clown).

4. The temp swing with the heat recently in Southern California.

5. Saw white dots on my first clown's fin.

6. Set up a temp QT and dosed CopperSafe.

That's where we are today.

A0E8DCB8-415C-4126-BECB-12910AD380BC_zps

Here is my first trap. Obviously, I didn't do my research on water bottle trick.

7BBAED58-024D-4C85-ADD8-A83846EB3123_zps

YAY, now I got him. After doing it the right way, it only took him 15 mins to fall for the trick.

4CB68A15-C0E1-4B44-8614-496329EFBEFC_zps

Here is one of the sexy on GSP.

14508451-09FB-4E79-B3BB-A8548626FC0B_zps

Here is one of the pom pom.

4BABD92B-56AB-47BC-A7BC-EDC44A383D1D_zps

Here is the tank shot before QT.

11CAD020-34C3-4D2F-9879-9B8E53F1F668_zps

Here is the temp QT. It took some consideration on my part to set up a QT for a 14 gallon BioCube. It seemed a big much. I thought about trying Kick-Ich first. At the end, I came to admit that I'd already cut a lot of short-cuts and should do things right. (The irony is that I posted on "The Confession" thread that I never QT. The ich happened that night, I believe. Karma).

My small clown and YWG passed away last night in the QT....

The small clown didn't look too comfortable so I did 30% water change to QT. Found him gone in the morning.

My big clown is still alive and kickin' though. I'm torn between continuing the treatment (and leaving the DT for 2 months) or just canceling the whole treatment idea.

I'm a noob trying to learn.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Allright.

Waiting for my retrofit from Mr. Fason of Nano Box Reef.

In the mean time, my tank is relying on the sunlight. My tank is relatively close to the windows where the blinds are always shut closed.

So I'm using the blinds to let light in during the way time.

Will post when the retrofit gets here with pictures!

(Bought cheap coral frags last weekend locally. A flower pot coral and a meteor shower. Today I found some parts of flower pot covered in flatworms. Scary. I took it out and dip in fresh ro/di water (no salt). All little worms got spooked and got out of the frag. I'll update on this as well :wacko: )

Orbit,

Just read through your entire thread. Sorry to hear you lost some fish.

I am cycling my Biocube 14 now. It is my first SW tank.

You might be able to pick up a cheap LED light at Home Depot or Target etc.

My wife bought a cheap LED clip-on reading light at Bed Bath & Beyond.

David

Hey. I'm having Dave from Nano Box Reef do my retrofit right now. So I'm patiently waitin'....

I'm having so much fun with this stuff. So addicting. :)

Congrats. Should be interesting to hear your impressions on the new lights.

Please post some photos when you receive the Nano Box retrofit.

I exchanged e-mails with Dave but am going to wait until I have a figured my livestock plan.

Congrats. Should be interesting to hear your impressions on the new lights. Please post some photos when you receive the Nano Box retrofit. I exchanged e-mails with Dave but am going to wait until I have a figured my livestock plan.

Thank you. Will do. Dave told me he would ship out tomorrow. So stoked!

• 2 weeks later...

So much has happened since!

First, I got another YWG and an orange striped goby. Can't get enough of goby. Am I right or am I right?

CB0B6A32-EE0F-4A58-8E59-5CE2A7D69EBE_zps

My beautiful Nano Box powered hood. Thanks to Dave Fason.

BB2D7E94-DA2B-40CC-BEC3-90739D2CC4BA_zps

Adjusting my Storm controller setting!

EAB3E9BB-B592-4FB9-8D4E-EB9F396FEEE3_zps

3C089F97-413F-4AD2-94B2-3D5AF827B22B_zps

CF3CDB14-EBE6-4B04-BB44-C7EB398D1776_zps

Shout out to Dave Fason!

Updated Livestock List

Fish

- Ocellaris Clown (1st fish added to this tank)

- Yellow Watchman Goby (RIP)

- Bicolor Dottyback (returned to LFS)

- Ocellaris Clown (RIP)

- Yellow Watchman Goby

- Orange Striped Goby

Inverts

- 4 Hermit Crab (used to be 6)

- Emerald Crab (held captive due to his disruptive behavior)

- 1 Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp

- 3 Pom Pom Crab

- 2 Sex Shrimp (used to be 4 - eaten alive by Bicolor Dottyback)

- 1 Porcelain Crab

Coral

- Pulsing Xenia

- Green Favia

- Red Mushroom

- Green Mushroom

- Green Duncan

- Forest Green Psammacora

- Flaming Sun Zoa

- Metallic Green Trumpet

- Frogspawn

- Hammer Coral

- Lobo Lobo Leather

- Brown Birdnest

- Green Acropora

I think that's everybody....

Just realized I don't have any FTS....

I'll post a couple this week!

Happy reefing!

Looks good! Exciting to have such a sweet light isn't it?

Now my viewing time has doubled. I'm expecting faster coral growth. We'll see how everything pans out.

good to see more retro fits. tank looks good man.

Thank you, Sir. Your shallow is the bomb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just started a Nano Cube 14 3 weeks ago. First go at saltwater. What is the soap dish for and how is it working out? CUC added a week ago. All water levels good added a damsel and it didn't even make it 24 hours. Think ill wait another week and try again. How are your Mods working out and what would you recommend.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys.

I was on a vacation in Key West for a week.

Needless to say, it was awesome. I swam with different tangs and damsels in the warm Florida waters.

And my Storm and NanoBox were acting up.

Of course Dave helped me out greatly, and everything is resolved now.

I will post a FTS tonight after work! B)

Archived