Cultivated Reef

CREE Limia 5.2 for 180

raidendex

How does this sound. 3 Lumias per 24x24 section with 50-80 optic. Would be nice to be able to run all 3 with same 5 LDDs, but looks like it ends up being few volts short for some channels, so will have to stick to 2 Lumias per LDD.

For heat sink, will probably just use 10" 16" long one for each section.

Images show 80 degrees light spill 10" above the tank.

front.png

top.png

side.png

From pictures looks like decent light coverage this way, and won't need to run them at full strength. Probably around 50-60% would do, just how I have my current DIY fixture set on 120 right now.

Any comments?

How does this sound. 3 Lumias per 24x24 section with 50-80 optic. Would be nice to be able to run all 3 with same 5 LDDs, but looks like it ends up being few volts short for some channels, so will have to stick to 2 Lumias per LDD.

For heat sink, will probably just use 10" 16" long one for each section.

From pictures looks like decent light coverage this way, and won't need to run them at full strength. Probably around 50-60% would do, just how I have my current DIY fixture set on 120 right now.

Any comments?

OK. A few quick comments.

1) I'm not sure you'll need 3 per section. 2 per section should be more than enough (especially with fairly tight optics) which will cut down the amount of LDDs you'll need to 15 from 25.

2) What type of heat sink? I'd trust the makers heatsink to contain 2 on the 18" heat sink with a pair of fans, but 3 on a 12" makers heat sink is probably too much to ask. It's a great heat sink, but it doesn't quite have the bulk to deal with 3 Lumia 5.2 (which is a very powerful chip).

3) If you do decide you're going with 3 per section, I'd do a 180 shift on the center cluster for just slightly better coverage.

4) How would I do it? I'd probably have 2 Lumias per 24X24" cube with the Lumias arranged on an 18" heatsink per section perpendicular to the length of the tank.

For heat sink I just use a basic 10" wide one, probably in 16" sections.

Three is awkward to power so two would be nicer, but I'm not really sure how that would cover the tank, especially with tight lenses as you suggest and being perpendicular to the length of the tank. Seems like that would create rather low light areas between the lights.

Even with this layout on a 120g I have quite a big difference in PAR in the middle of the tank. Blue and white LEDs have 80 degree optics there and are about 10" off the water surface.

fulltank.jpg

For heat sink I just use a basic 10" wide one, probably in 16" sections.

Three is awkward to power so two would be nicer, but I'm not really sure how that would cover the tank, especially with tight lenses as you suggest and being perpendicular to the length of the tank. Seems like that would create rather low light areas between the lights.

Even with this layout on a 120g I have quite a big difference in PAR in the middle of the tank. Blue and white LEDs have 80 degree optics there and are about 10" off the water surface.

I wasn't actually suggesting tight optics, you had the 50-80s on there and I didn't really object. Honestly, you should be able to light a 180 with 6 lumias fairly easily. When you're using big multi-chip arrays like the lumia it's fairly difficult to get even PAR with optics. If you were really going for even PAR look for either no-optics or the 80-110 optics. It'll be less strong right underneath the lumias, but they're strong enough you should really need the added punch of tight optics.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

As everyone is suggesting, I would also suggest only 2 per 24x24 area. 3 would be over kill i think. so for a 180, that is 6 total Lumia 5.2

Archived