Top Shelf Aquatics

Converting P. wingei to salt water

Matt_95

I say go for it!

These guys are now at 1.019. We've had a few storms so I haven't been able to collect water and won't be until the bay settles down again. I'm holding off water changes on my tank for now and using evaporated sea salt to bring the SG up for the endlers. Any foreseeable problems with this? None of the water will go into my reef tank and this salt is what I usually use to get their water a little saltier then the tap can get it as well.

Also, I have had one fatality, I didn't have an air stone and woke up to the whole colony at the surface gasping for breath and one that had died. Added an air stone and no problems since.

Following along, would be a great little pico fish for tanks with corals that don't need a lot of flow. I always wanted to try Opae Ula shrimp in reef conditions too.

I think a single male would be perfect for small picos as well, they're active and don't need much room at all. They'll pick at algae as well and do well on little feeding.

Those shrimp are cool! I wish we could get them here.

The fish are at 1.020 now, added some more salt that should bring up to 1.021 which will on the very low end of marine right?

I managed to get the SG up to 1.025 today without stressing them. I now have a single male in my pico, I'll move a female over with him tomorrow.

jedimasterben

Had one in my old 15 gallon.

kjizZ.jpg

5Lgy5.jpg

I miss my harlequin sailfins, and I can't for the life of me find them for sale anymore :(

IMG_0146.jpg

20130502-IMG_0002.jpg

I miss my harlequin sailfins, and I can't for the life of me find them for sale anymore :(

IMG_0146.jpg

20130502-IMG_0002.jpg

My Walmart has a couple I've been thinking about picking up :P

IMG_0146.jpg

20130502-IMG_0002.jpg

I wish I had kept mine. I ended up giving it away.

I'm a little late but here are the pictures. It took a day or two to adapt to the higher flow but it's doing really well now.

post-82562-0-11646800-1389781868_thumb.jpg

post-82562-0-18522000-1389781887_thumb.jpg

post-82562-0-31864000-1389781900_thumb.jpg

post-82562-0-16917700-1389781971_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little late but here are the pictures. It took a day or two to adapt to the higher flow but it's doing really well now.

Awesome! Look at those little anemone food's go! hehe jk. Let us know how they do long term. I wouldn't mind putting 1 in a pico.

Do these school at all, most pics I see of em look like they're doing their own thing.

Not that I've ever seen. Even if they did in the wild they've been bred down so many generations (hundreds, if not thousands) in captivity that they've lost it.

The one I had in the pico jumped out. But all the others are doing really well, I'll add another back in when I get a lid.

Yeah, they don't school, they will interact with each other, but I wouldn't call it schooling.

jedimasterben

The one I had in the pico jumped out. But all the others are doing really well, I'll add another back in when I get a lid. Yeah, they don't school, they will interact with each other, but I wouldn't call it schooling.

"interact"

:naughtydance:

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news, the shrimp I were keeping them with can be predatory towards small fish and invertebrates, the whole colony was picked off over two weeks. I'll be setting up another tank and starting again.

• 2 months later...

Bad news, the shrimp I were keeping them with can be predatory towards small fish and invertebrates, the whole colony was picked off over two weeks. I'll be setting up another tank and starting again.

Any updates?

Archived