inTank Media Baskets

AutoAqua Smart ATO

Titus

TheyCallMeMud

well, i got mine. so far i love it. my only gripe is that the black plastic clamp thing is a piece of crap, I broke it in about 7 seconds flat. zip ties to the rescue!

as to the snails: maybe something they can't/won't slime over? spike strips? sandpaper? :/

you could try putting it inside something porous enough to keep water flowing around it but not enough for snails to get in the sensor, you could synch up a media bag really tight around it or something, so it wouldnt be too noticeable but should work

well, i got mine. so far i love it. my only gripe is that the black plastic clamp thing is a piece of crap, I broke it in about 7 seconds flat. zip ties to the rescue!

Ha! Did the same thing with mine. Instructions were a little vague regarding what I believed was flipping it around for rimless tanks. Super glue to the rescue! Not a big fan of the mount though. Quite large and what is with the extra threaded hole? Only other minor issues I have is I'd love to have the water level higher but its sitting at the edge of the tank already and I'd like to be able to use another pump, but with the wiring the included one is only usable. Otherwise, the thing is great. As far as sound, if you mean the pump, not much at all. Maybe 2. But with other stuff running on your tank, you prolly wont even notice it.

Noise factor when running? Rate 1-10?

I'm thinking about upgrading.

noise is neasr silent, except for when alarms go off.

My only gripe would be when changing water you have to unplug or put out back into ato container there is no pause. and it may just be user error.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, great review. I've been trying to decide between jbj or Tunze then saw this. If only I could find it in stock anywhere...

Edit: Just found them in stock online at fragtastic reefs!

Just wan to ask a question before purchase. I hate the alarm sound and have to re-setup it every time after the feeding and maintainance. Is there any possible to disable it? Or make it unnoticeable?

If I use Apex controller to control this ATO, and I set it up being 'ON' like 3 hours later after my maintenance, power outage or feeding mode. Does that way fix the alarm issue?

Thanks

Just wan to ask a question before purchase. I hate the alarm sound and have to re-setup it every time after the feeding and maintainance. Is there any possible to disable it? Or make it unnoticeable?

If I use Apex controller to control this ATO, and I set it up being 'ON' like 3 hours later after my maintenance, power outage or feeding mode. Does that way fix the alarm issue?

Thanks

I don't see any way to disable the sounds. You are still going to get the beeping as it goes through it's initialization process. It is about 8 BeeDips over about a 10 second period.

I don't see any way to disable the sounds. You are still going to get the beeping as it goes through it's initialization process. It is about 8 BeeDips over about a 10 second period.

Thank. Do you think I can use Apex controller to get rid of this sound like I posted in my post.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen any way, other than unplugging it.

Also, if you put the device on an established water level (i.e. it doesn't have to spout any water in when you plug it in), I've noticed the damnable thing just keeps beeping forever. Pain when I'm refilling my ATO container and it's just refilled the tank... The solultion is to keep the ATO container full, but that sounds a lot like work to me. :D

Also, if you walk in the house and hear fur elise playing over and over, it's the ATO telling you your container is empty. Caught me by surprise the first time, I thought someone had broken in and left an annoying kid's toy hidden in my living room... :P

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen any way, other than unplugging it.

Also, if you put the device on an established water level (i.e. it doesn't have to spout any water in when you plug it in), I've noticed the damnable thing just keeps beeping forever. Pain when I'm refilling my ATO container and it's just refilled the tank... The solultion is to keep the ATO container full, but that sounds a lot like work to me. :D

Also, if you walk in the house and hear fur elise playing over and over, it's the ATO telling you your container is empty. Caught me by surprise the first time, I thought someone had broken in and left an annoying kid's toy hidden in my living room... :P

I have a love/hate relationship with my Autoaqua SMART ATO. I find I have to shut it off before I do ANYTHING that affects water levels. If I remove a filter sock or shut of my return pumps to feed the fishies, the thing alarms because the water level is now higher than the sensor. I came downstairs this morning and instinct told me to check it out and the thing didn't kick on for some unknown reason. I think the optical sensor is really super sensitive to water stains so maybe it thought the water level was still high. Sometimes when I need to reset it, i have to completely clean the glass of the tank or it continues to do the 8 beeps of death.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gahumphry - do other atos have this same issue, or is this one more sensitive or have different logic, etx?

So sorry I missed your post!! I just ditched my AutoAqua Smart ATO for a Tunze 3155. Soooo glad I did. I love the Tunze. It has a much bigger footprint but I have had zero issues with it. I constantly had to clean the eye on the Smart ATO and man did it get annoying with the Fur Elise music every time the ATO reservoir went low. I also really hated that you had to unplug and replug in and align the sensor/eye on the Smart ATO. Haven't had to do any of that with the Tunze.

These are out of stock everywhere. Damn I want one to replace my 3155 on my 60F.

Funny, I replaced my Smart ATO with the Tunze 3155. I love the Tunze. I had a love hate relationship with the Smart ATO. It's an awesome design, but my personal thought is that it's not really meant to be used on a big tank. I was using mine in the back of my Nuvo SR-80. The glass is 12MM / .47" thick and i was constantly having to realign the eye/sensor. I know people that use these on a sump with thinner glass have not had the issue.

My only other grip was the music playing every time the reservoir went low. Coincidentally mine always went low in the middle of the night. My bad for not keeping up more on the reservoir running low. :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

well, we're into October. I think it's dead.

the audible alarm burnt out sometime in april, I guess the reservoir had run out of water just after I left for work. by the time I got home, I noticed the water was kind of low, found a bunch of flashing lights and one dead speaker thingy.

got home from work today, the reservoir is half full, but all three lights on the ATO are blinking (slowly fading in/out as they do so). no amount of resetting is getting it going again.

once the kids go to sleep i'll hard-wire the pump to see if maybe it's fried. if it's not the pump, guess I'm in the market for a new ATO.

how is everyone else's holding up?

I've had one on my Nuvo8 since January and a second, newer one on my Nuvo24 since July. Both are working fine for me. The newer one seems less finicky about resetting it after I play with the water level (ie I've done a water change) than the older one.

I gotta say, autoaqua support has been amazingly fast in getting back to me. They think the ATO unit might be b0rked, sent me to coralvue for further support.

*edit*

A new controller head is being shipped to me. Awesome customer service experience. Hopefully shipping is quick, manual top-offs suck. :P

• 8 months later...

Archived