SaltCritters.com

Ward's "Man Cave" 150g Build

Ward9320

Well I have finally decided that I am far enough along in my build to start a thread on it and share it with everyone. My wife doesn't get near enough excited about as I have each time I get a new item for the build or finish something for it so its time to get some fellow reefers that understands the excitement, joy and accomplishment you get out of starting a new tank.

So here is the story that goes along with the build and explains the process:

Back in July I started a nano and immediately I was hooked! The tank sits on my desk at work and I enjoy watching my clowns swim around all day but I wanted to have something to look at while I was home too. From what I have read everyone gets a tank and then shortly after gets the "Must...... have..... bigger ...... tank" syndrome :haha: . In an attempt to avoid that I decided to go straight to a 150g. After speaking to my wife on the subject of where to put a new tank in the house she suggested that we put it up in the basement. While that sounded like a great idea the problem is my basement (man cave in the making) is only about ¾ of the way finished (I am hoping that it will be finished within the next month).

So the search began for a tank and the equipment I would need for this system. With the expenses of finishing the basement and life I decided to start picking up things little by little for the 150g build as soon as possible to avoid a mad rush for equipment right when I set the tank up.. I looked on forums, Craigslist, and eBay and still couldn’t really find what I was looking for. Luckily enough for me my father-in-law is in the pet industry and surprisingly although he does not sell aquariums he can still get them. He told me to look in the catalog and find what I wanted and he would let me know the price. After picking out a 150g and stand I got one hell of a deal considering I only had to pay cost. Currently the tank and stand is sitting in my father-in-laws warehouse just waiting for my basement to get finished. In the meantime I have been collecting the rest of the equipment I need.

Below is a list of everything I have collected so far:

Tank: Corerflo Aquarium Black Xhigh - 150 gal. 48"x24"x30"
Stand: Majesty Rectangular Stand 48"x24"
Sump: Trigger Systems Ruby 26" Sump - 34.5 gal. 36"x15"x16"
Skimmer: Reef Octopus NWB200 *" Pinwheel <250 gal.
Controller: Apex Lite + VDM & extra Energy Bar 8
Lighting: 2x EcoTech Radion XR30w G2
Powerheads: 2x Vortech MP40
Sump to DT Pump: Mag Drive 18
Refugium Light: Makers L.E.D. - 10x Deep Red, 4x ES Royal Blue
Heaters: 2x Theo Shatterproof Heater - 400w
Water Filtration: BRS 4 Stage Value PLUS RO/DI System
Water Storage: 2x 25 Gallon Vertical Plastic Storage Tanks 18" dia x 30"H
Water Change Pump: Pan World 50PX Magnetic Water Pump
RO/DI ATO: Auto Shut off kit for RO/DI Unit
Display Tank ATO: JBJ ATO Water Level Controller
ATO Pump: Toms Aquatics Aqua-Lifter Dosing Pump
Quarantine Tank: 20 Gallon Aquarium
Quarantine Pump: Hydor Koralia Nano
Quarantine Filter: Fluval C3 Power Filter

The Water Change Area, Sump/Refugium, and the QT tank is all set up in my utility room and the DT is going on the other side of the wall of the Sump/Fuge . When I built the room I made sure there was enough room for this stuff to go in there. Some things didn't turn out exactly as I envisioned it but I made it work.

Excuse the mess and the unfinished walls, Like I said its still a work in progress.

My Water Change/Mixing Station. (Left: Saltwater Right:Ro/Di Water) I still need to label that containers and I have since moved the Ro/Di unit above the containers.

post-80748-0-18046400-1383578273_thumb.jpg

post-80748-0-26129100-1383578287_thumb.jpg

Sump/Refugium on the bottom and QT tank on the top. Both of these tanks have plumbing running to them to make water changes much easier.

post-80748-0-22236100-1383578296_thumb.jpg

post-80748-0-56806900-1383578308_thumb.jpg

post-80748-0-72956000-1383578318_thumb.jpg

I will post more on this build as it progresses but for the most part I am at a halt until the basement is finished. I have done most of it myself but I am at the point where I need someone more qualified than me to finish it off. I have a contractor that is a friend of the family that told me once it gets cold outside he will be over to finish it for me. Well its currently 40 degrees outside so he should be coming soon!

Nice! Just remember the QT should have no water returning to any other location as it should be isolated from main system. It looks like you may have done that though.

Thanks! Yea the water for the QT isn't going to go anywhere but in its own tank. I am going to just put a HOB filter in it and a powerhead. The only plumbing I have going to it is just to fill it up with fresh saltwater and even then the pipe isn't long enough to go into the water itself.

Nice equipment list. I would suggest something other than a mag 18 for your return pump though. They are loud and energy hogs.

Thank you, however since I already have it I think I will try my luck. I am not so much worried about the energy consumption as I am the noise factor. I bought some of this at Lowes and cut it and placed it under my sump and the QT tank to reduce vibration, hopefully that helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Thank you, however since I already have it I think I will try my luck. I am not so much worried about the energy consumption as I am the noise factor. I bought some of this at Lowes and cut it and placed it under my sump and the QT tank to reduce vibration, hopefully that helps.

Hey man its been forever, did you ever get this beast going???

Well..... I got my basement all finished with the exception of the carpet. Things ended up costing a little more than I anticipated on top of other life things that always seem to get in the way have slowed things down. Should be getting the carpet in within the next month, hopefully. I did however put a 55 gallon up in the dining room to keep me satisfied in the meantime.

Well..... I got my basement all finished with the exception of the carpet. Things ended up costing a little more than I anticipated on top of other life things that always seem to get in the way have slowed things down. Should be getting the carpet in within the next month, hopefully. I did however put a 55 gallon up in the dining room to keep me satisfied in the meantime.

Totally understandable, plans still include setting this tank up?? I am waiting on a 48x30x24 from Miracles myself, still about a month out before delivery tho.... which was what got me thinking about this tank actually.

Well lets see the 55g when you get a chance man :)

Archived