Pod Your Reef

Tank upgrade, new sand, old rock.

Islandoftiki

Ok, I've got someone debating me on this, so I'd like some additional opinions.

I'm getting a new IM Nuvo 30 today to replace the 20 gallon tank my female peacock mantis is currently living in. The current tank has a crushed coral nitrate factory substrate, about 20 lbs of live rock, one peacock mantis and one large damsel fish. I have two AC50 filters. One is running chemipure elite, purigen, filter pad and poly-bio-marine filter. The other is a chaeto fuge. The tank also has a Tunze 9002 in it.

The Nuvo 30 will be getting fresh bagged live sand (I'll find sand with a really good expiration date). Probably CaribSea Aragalive Special Grade substrate. I'll be filling the tank with salt water, getting everything running and make sure it's all working properly. I'm planning to set up all of the filtration and skimmer as well at this time. Then I'll add the new sand, let it settle out over night, then swap all of the existing live rock in her tank over to the new one and acclimating her to the new tank. The damsel will not be going into the new tank, just the mantis. The damsel is being re-homed.

In my estimation, since I'm using live rock that's already established for more than the planned bioload, I really should not have any cycle at all. The new live sand should not have any die-off either. So, it should be ready to roll without a cycle. I know people have done tank upgrades exactly this way many times, with perfect success.

I have Prime on hand just in case, and I can give it a good shot of Microbacter7 just for fun.

I'd like to settle the argument with this guy by pointing him to this thread. Does anyone see any reason this won't work just fine?

Archived