ReefCleaners.org

Arduino + LCD + dimming: dead end

aedificator

after reading endless topics on several forums I feel a little bit lost, and I was wodnering if someone can point me in the right direction.

I have two mean well drivers, (HLG-60-C700B and HLG-80-c700B, one for the whote and one for the blue) both with PWM capabilities. I am trying to simulate sunrise/sunset without having to trun the pots manually every few minutes (as I have done for the past days).

There seems to be two ways: 1.Arduino and 2.a pre-built controller.

The controller seems a little bit expensive (I could find only $200 and up), and I don't have the budget for that, so I was wondering if any body has ever wired mean well drivers to Arduino.

I realize that to make a dimming system I need (please correct me where I am wrong):

1 Arduino board (since the prices are accessible, i was thinking to Mega for future expansions);

1 Arduino power adapter

1 Breadbard;

Multiple jumpers

1 LCD

?? what else? (this is where i am lost. How do I connect, phisically the drivers to the arduino board? Reading the Arduino forum, the exits are 5V but it seems that the Mean Well requires a 10V PWM: what should i do?)

Thanks you guys

Check this out.

I looked at the data sheet for the HLG- 6 0H-C. The Dim+ brings its own pull-up 10V source with pull-up resistor (as you can just use resistors from DIM+ to DIM- to control dimming. You can also, as you stated, introduce a PWM signal of 10V to those pins. This MeanWell design allows you to do a mix of both, using the HLG's pullup resistors and 10V supply to provide it's own PWM signal. You just have to use an optocoupler (NTE 3220 or 3221) to get the 5V PWM signal from the Arduino into the MeanWell at 10V ($4 a Radioshack, plus a 250 ohm resistor). Optocoupler will prevent you from having to worry about the grounding schemes between the MeanWell and the Arduino.

The only thing is that you have to invert the logic in your PWM code. For example, if you want the light on at 75% full strength, code the PWM in the arduiono at 25%. Light at 100% strength, equals PWM at 0%, etc. Light strength = (1-PWM_arduino_code). You could introduce an inverter IC at the PWM output to keep the 1:1 light:PWM relationship, but when designing, an easy fix via software is always better than introducing more hardware.

Or a Storm, with 6 channels, for $60 or StormX, with 16 channels, for $100.

He even has the code up on his site.

Jarduino is a 6 channel controller, send him like $20 and use your existing board.

you can always look into the meepduino, He is a forum guy just search the lighting forum. Great guy and a good controller. he is updating every so often with new features. He has wiring diagrams and part lists.

Thanks Mojado, your answer was right on target! and your draft was really helpful!

I think I am going to follow your suggestion, and see how it goes.

One thing i am not sure is the mounting process: do I connect the nt3220 to the driver and leave all in the air, or there is a board that I can use? (sorry if this question seems a little bit naive, but it's my first exposure to arduino components)

Thanks!

Thanks Jadimasterbin,

I checked on google and it seems the Typhon is built to work with the HLN drivers but not with the HLG drivers, so i am going to look into Mojado's suggestion, which seems also the cheapest way.

Thanks!

Thanks Mojado, your answer was right on target! and your draft was really helpful!

I think I am going to follow your suggestion, and see how it goes.

One thing i am not sure is the mounting process: do I connect the nt3220 to the driver and leave all in the air, or there is a board that I can use? (sorry if this question seems a little bit naive, but it's my first exposure to arduino components)

Thanks!

You can just glue the optocoupler to the driver's case.

Thanks Jadimasterbin,

I checked on google and it seems the Typhon is built to work with the HLN drivers but not with the HLG drivers, so i am going to look into Mojado's suggestion, which seems also the cheapest way.

Thanks!

I googled the Typhoon and it states:

Compatible LED Drivers:

Meanwell Dimmable Drivers.

•ELN-30-XXP, ELN-60-XXP

•HLN-40H-XXB, HLN-60H-XXB, HLN-80H-XXB

Basically, it is good for Meanwell B-class drivers which, after looking at the data sheets, designates that they use the resistor/voltage/or PWM signal at DIM+/DIM- to control dimming. Your Meanwell Drivers also have this "B" designation in their model numbers. I looked at the data sheets to verify and they in fact do employ the same type of dimming as the drivers listed as compatible with the Typhoon. The only difference between the HLN and HLG drivers seems to be that the HLGs have metal casings (vs the HLN's plastic casing) and are made with higher class parts, but BOTH employ the type of dimming that is controllable by the Typhoon.

I'd go with the Typhoon controller as it offers a plug-and-play solution for the same price as an Arduino-based solution.

Archived