Top Shelf Aquatics

Gorgonian show off thread!

dixie reefer

If it is a red finger gorg like I think it is, then it is not photosynthetic. It almost always has its polyps extended. I mix in frozen rotifers with the mysis i feed my seahorse. I feed her 3x a day so there is a good steady supply of food going to the gorg. I've had it almost two weeks and seems to be enjoying tank life so far.

That's a shame. It's beautiful though. I would consider getting one but I would be worried that I would over-feed and foul up my water. Right now I'm trying to stay in my newbie comfort zone. One day I'll be up for it. :)

P1270806_zpsdf832ad5.jpg

P1260136_zps6518bc25.jpg

Nice polyp extension, I like the seahorse and the Rainford. So cool.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's my photosynthetic gorg -- yeah, it's just one of the plain brown ones! But it is hugely branched, fluffy all the time (took all of 15 minutes to adjust to life in my tank), and makes me want to hang ornaments on it! (I'm thinking of getting a small yellow one from KP Aquatics, but not certain that I want to pay the shipping. I have purchased from them before, and the whole experience was excellent; all livestock survived transport; KP even threw in an extra lettuce green sea slug!)

gorg1.jpg

As you can see in my post above, my photosyn gorg sits right atop a candy cane, a bunch of zoas, and a baby toadstool (which is totally hidden by the branches -- I need to move that!). It's been in contact with the finger leather, too, and thus far, no one shows any sign of damage. Gorgs are awesome -- they add such a cool, vertical, architectural vibe to a tank!

Thanks for your input and I really gotta get some of those beauties.

If it is a red finger gorg like I think it is, then it is not photosynthetic. It almost always has its polyps extended. I mix in frozen rotifers with the mysis i feed my seahorse. I feed her 3x a day so there is a good steady supply of food going to the gorg. I've had it almost two weeks and seems to be enjoying tank life so far.

Does it mean that those aren't so light dependent? What about light intensity and placement for those not photosynthetic types?

Non photosynthetic means it does not get its nutrition from light. They need low light and high flow to keep algae from growing on it and killing it.

Non photosynthetic means it does not get its nutrition from light. They need low light and high flow to keep algae from growing on it and killing it.

Awesome, I have a place just for a pair lol thanks for the tip ohhh,...... BTW can you give an exemple of a few non photosynthetic gorgs? Thanks again

Mar

Nevermind, found few sources. Seem to be out of stock atm

Awesome, I have a place just for a pair lol thanks for the tip ohhh,...... BTW can you give an exemple of a few non photosynthetic gorgs? Thanks again

Mar

Nevermind, found few sources. Seem to be out of stock atm

Several online places sell them, it would take a quick google search to see if they are photosynthetic or not. Live aquaria and reefs2go has some nice gorgs.

Several online places sell them, it would take a quick google search to see if they are photosynthetic or not. Live aquaria and reefs2go has some nice gorgs.

Most sellers provide basic guidelines and info so it isn't an issue. But to be hones, I found some conflicting "difficulty" rating by most of the places I visited. Ranging from easy to expert of the same kind. It makes it that much more confusing lol

I bought from both places before so oc they're on my favorites list. Not sure which one but it might be reefs2go that offers a sample package of those. Unfortunately they are out of stock or so they say..... Seems like they offer those separately at much higher price. I'll wait a bit for that deal or buy some locally. Haven't decided which ones tho lol

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody know more about (even just what it's called would be great) the gorg that has a bright orange base and white polyps? I'm in love, but don't know diddly-squat about it to find it, and even if I did, don't want something too hard for my first gorgonian...

Thank you :)

Does anybody know more about (even just what it's called would be great) the gorg that has a bright orange base and white polyps? I'm in love, but don't know diddly-squat about it to find it, and even if I did, don't want something too hard for my first gorgonian...

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's very difficult to keep. At any rate...sounds like a non-photosynthetic gorgonian which is always more challenging.

Snapped a quick pic of my gorgs with my iPhone. They are both the same kind, I think a purple sea whip is what it's called. The small one is a cutting from the larger gorgonian. I can't wait for it to start branching like the "mother". The yellow is technically not a gorgonian but many people refer to them as gorgonians.

gorg_zps1971d485.jpg

Is this what you are talking about? The place I found the photo didn't identify it, unfortunately.

orange-gorgonian-white-polyps-jj-0640-11

It's not what I was thinking of. The "gorg" I was thinking of is actually a type of sponge, I believe, so nevermind my thoughts on it above :lol:.

Here is a pic of my photo-gorg. Nothin super special, but it is crazy easy to take care of. I have had it for 4+ yrs now from a tiny little twiglet to what it is now (I have trimmed it a few times as well)..... Mine doesn't really like HIGH flow, I had it in a spot in my 180 where 11,000 gph came crashing together and it wasn't ever really happy, now I have it in moderate flow (~26" from my mp40 at that peaks @100% on reef crest) and it is the happiest and grown the most in the time I have had it, also PE (not evident in the photo tho, as the lights came on not long before this pic) is the best I have ever seen on it in this moderate flow/ light location.

Now for the actual pic:

DSCN2394_zps89239089.jpg

Here is a pic of my photo-gorg. Nothin super special, but it is crazy easy to take care of. I have had it for 4+ yrs now from a tiny little twiglet to what it is now (I have trimmed it a few times as well)..... Mine doesn't really like HIGH flow, I had it in a spot in my 180 where 11,000 gph came crashing together and it wasn't ever really happy, now I have it in moderate flow (~26" from my mp40 at that peaks @100% on reef crest) and it is the happiest and grown the most in the time I have had it, also PE (not evident in the photo tho, as the lights came on not long before this pic) is the best I have ever seen on it in this moderate flow/ light location.

Pretty! Is it a tan color? That fish is stunning.

Here is one of my Grube's gorgonian from ORA in my 40B from a few months back - even larger now (may have to cut it back)...

temporary-68.jpg

Here is an old one of my 29g from about 3 years back (I think) with a pair of Par38's over it...

100_1387.jpg

Here is one from tonight, with several different species of gorgonians, 5 royal grammas, a pair of cherub angels, and one big coral banded shrimp, now lit by three Par38's...

temporary-89.jpg

Is this what you are talking about? The place I found the photo didn't identify it, unfortunately.

orange-gorgonian-white-polyps-jj-0640-11

It's not what I was thinking of. The "gorg" I was thinking of is actually a type of sponge, I believe, so nevermind my thoughts on it above :lol:.

Yes, that's it. That's always my problem-I can find a photo, but no name.

Yours are so pretty Gena, do you ever frag to sell?

Here is one from tonight, with several different species of gorgonians, 5 royal grammas, a pair of cherub angels, and one big coral banded shrimp, now lit by three Par38's...

temporary-89.jpg

wow! :wub:

This is my favorite! I love everything about it!!!!

Pretty! Is it a tan color? That fish is stunning.

Thank you! :) It is a tanish/pinkish/purplish color LOL

The fish in the pic (which was the original intent of the photo), is my female potters leopard wrasse. She is starting to turn male and going more orange instead of yellow, since my male decided it'd be a good idea to jump through a tiny opening around my return pipe after 1.5yrs :(

Thanks Gena - although I am a big gorgonian fan (sorry... :happy: ), my favorite things in the tank are the pygmy angels (the tiny little female is just so darn cute!)...

Yes, that's it. That's always my problem-I can find a photo, but no name.

Yours are so pretty Gena, do you ever frag to sell?

Hopefully we'll come across a name for it!

Thank you! I haven't sold any yet, but they are so easy to frag. I lost a couple of gorgs a couple of months ago. No idea what happened. I did start dosing a trace reef product which may have upset them. I haven't used the stuff since cuz I'm afraid to now. I want to get more gorgonians so at some point I may frag and sell. Just not at this time. My gorgs aren't very big right now. :)

Thank you! :) It is a tanish/pinkish/purplish color LOL

The fish in the pic (which was the original intent of the photo), is my female potters leopard wrasse. She is starting to turn male and going more orange instead of yellow, since my male decided it'd be a good idea to jump through a tiny opening around my return pipe after 1.5yrs :(

I know that color exactly!!! :lol: It's pretty.

Awe...sorry about the male. :( I wish she wouldn't change her color...she's perfect as is!!!!

Thanks Gena - although I am a big gorgonian fan (sorry... :happy: ), my favorite things in the tank are the pygmy angels (the tiny little female is just so darn cute!)...

I've always loved the pygmy angels. I'm more fascinated by your 4 royal grammas though. Do they all get along? Of course, I'm mostly in awe of your gorgonian forest. :)

I've always loved the pygmy angels. I'm more fascinated by your 4 royal grammas though. Do they all get along? Of course, I'm mostly in awe of your gorgonian forest. :)

Actually there are 5!

They actually do get along - started with 3, and added 2 more (they were bigger though, just in case), and they never really go after one another - mostly just open mouth gaping displays (i.e. "threats") when one tries to enter another's "safe hole"...

The boss of the tank is the male cherub - everyone gets out of his way, except for the shrimp.....wait, maybe it is the "boss"... :lol:

Actually there are 5!

They actually do get along - started with 3, and added 2 more (they were bigger though, just in case), and they never really go after one another - mostly just open mouth gaping displays (i.e. "threats") when one tries to enter another's "safe hole"...

The boss of the tank is the male cherub - everyone gets out of his way, except for the shrimp.....wait, maybe it is the "boss"... :lol:

That's awesome!

I just checked out your 40b. I like your reefing style. :) That one looks great too! No build thread for the gorgonian forest?

That's awesome!

I just checked out your 40b. I like your reefing style. :) That one looks great too! No build thread for the gorgonian forest?

Thank you for the kind words!

No build thread on the gorg tank - it has been around for a while - maybe I will do a details thread sometime though... :)

Thank you for the kind words!

No build thread on the gorg tank - it has been around for a while - maybe I will do a details thread sometime though... :)

You seem to have some color-scheming going on between the tanks...both are lovely (I like the old 10 gallon too!) :wub:

You should do a build thread for the gorg tank, I'd love to see more photos!

Gena, I hope you don't mind, I might check back in in a few months when they've grown some :D; or shoot me a PM if you decide to frag and sell... ;)

Archived