ReefCleaners.org

Some questions regarding my 10g AGA build

nova423

This tank has been upgraded to a 20 gallon long

I am currently building my 10 g AGA nano reef. I have a few questions.

I am not new to fishkeeping, made 10 freshwater tanks, 1 FO SW tank, and 1 FOWLR SW tank, both 20 gallons and a lot of success. This is my first SW tank in about ten years however, I see a LOT has changed, and I have some questions.

Here is my proposed build:

Tank

1. 10 g AGA, some off brand purchased at LFS. It holds water though.

Filtration/Heater

1. AC 70 to be used as HOB fuge
  2. InTank AC 70 insert, will have chaeto, chemipure elite, and walmart poly fill as media.
  3. 10 watt submersible light from InTank as light for chaeto. Plan to run at night as opposite of main lighting.
  4. Hydor 50 Theo placed in AC 70

Lighting

1. Orphek PR-25UV Dimmable 6 Blue/4 White/2 UV LED Pendant
  2. Ikea Lustera lamp modded to fit the tank
  3. light hooked up to a timer or coralife strip? Not sure about that yet.

Water

1. RO/DI water purchased from local grocery. No room for RO/DI unit at the moment.
  2. Whatever salt package is on sale at LFS

Bio filtration in display tank

1. 7 to 8 lbs. of fiji live rock from LFS
  2. 5 lbs. ive sand from LFS

Livestock

1. Turbo snail clean up squad (5 maybe?) put in after cycling
  2. 1 clownfish a month later
  3. Some shrimp?
  4. Coral down the line? What kind can I do with this lighting? Plan to put in a powerhead prior to this, any suggestions?

I plan to do water changes every other day using the 16 oz cup method, and top off as needed with RO/DI. Might put in a DIY ATO if needed.

My questions are:

• Do I need to have a powerhead from the get go?
  • Do I have to have less flow with my AC 70 fuge?
  • What kind of coral could I have with my lighting set up?
  • Is there anything I missed?

Many thanks for any advice you can give me.

Angel<3Nanos

Sounds like you planned everything well.

I would highly suggest a sump. It adds more water to a 10gal and there's room for equipment and fuge. However, the AC70 does a good job also.

As for the CUC, turbos are great but need plenty of algae to eat. In the case of starvation, they will die and it's not fun. Lol I recommend astreas and Nassarius snails. And if you want a turbo, 1 should be enough. And to keep corals you will need a powerhead, a simple koralia240 will keep softies and LPS.

As for Water Changes, a suggest you do 1 weekly, 2 gallons a week will keep your tank amazing.

And 1+ on ATO.

Sounds like you planned everything well.

I would highly suggest a sump. It adds more water to a 10gal and there's room for equipment and fuge. However, the AC70 does a good job also.

As for the CUC, turbos are great but need plenty of algae to eat. In the case of starvation, they will die and it's not fun. Lol I recommend astreas and Nassarius snails. And if you want a turbo, 1 should be enough. And to keep corals you will need a powerhead, a simple koralia240 will keep softies and LPS.

As for Water Changes, a suggest you do 1 weekly, 2 gallons a week will keep your tank amazing.

And 1+ on ATO.

Good advice, thanks. I would like to have a sump, unfortunately no room. I had an old 20 gallon that was SW FOWLR about ten years ago I originally wanted to use for this project, but it was too big for the space my lady said I could use this for. Gotta keep her happy! This 10 gallon standard fit perfectly with just enough space for the lighting and HOB AC70 fuge.

I've seen some threads on a few reefkeeping sites, including this one I believe, that say how to make a decent DIY ATO. I'm waiting however, to see if I am going to build a DIY controller to go with it or just have it run itself. ATO is not a priority until the holiday times anyways when I will be away a few days at a time.

The plan is to keep this tank until we end up moving in the next 12-18 months, then use this tank as the sump in a larger tank in our new house.

I'd recommend getting a 10 lb bag of sand instead of 5 lb. In a standard size 10 gallon, 10 lbs of sand is still a pretty shallow sand bed so 5 lb just doesn't seem like it would be enough.

Also I'd go with the Koralia nano 425 on the tank. It's not much more expensive than the 240 and its definitely not too much flow on a 10 gallon. I had a 240 on my 10 gallon with an AC70 and it never seemed like enough flow. Now I have a 425 on my 10 gallon frag tank and its much better.

Angel<3Nanos

A sump realky doesn't take alot of space. It goes right under your stand lol and makes the tank look much clean looking. Lol my wife let's me do whatever I want :P

A sump realky doesn't take alot of space. It goes right under your stand lol and makes the tank look much clean looking. Lol my wife let's me do whatever I want :P

It's going on a sturdy cabinet top that doesn't have room for a sump. I know the HOB isn't the best but its what fits best here.

That is good for you and your wife.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction. Very well planned, I can see you have been reading/researching!

As for your lighting, the Orphek is a nice light, and the fact that it's dimmable is pretty cool, but honestly, they are a total rip-off (IMHO) I would highly recomend the LEDTRiC PAR38 Full-Spectrum PLUS 18w ReefLamp It is full spectrum and looks great. I used it for a brief time over an experimental Coral Quarantine tank, and it really made SPS pop! If you want a more blue look though, they also offer a (non-plus) version which changes the Neutral White for Cool White and adds 2 more Royal Blue LED's.

Anyways, highly recommended. You should be able to support any type of coral with that bulb.

For SPS though, you will want a powerhead/wavemaker of some sorts, but that could always be added later ;)

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction. Very well planned, I can see you have been reading/researching!

As for your lighting, the Orphek is a nice light, and the fact that it's dimmable is pretty cool, but honestly, they are a total rip-off (IMHO) I would highly recomend the LEDTRiC PAR38 Full-Spectrum PLUS 18w ReefLamp It is full spectrum and looks great. I used it for a brief time over an experimental Coral Quarantine tank, and it really made SPS pop! If you want a more blue look though, they also offer a (non-plus) version which changes the Neutral White for Cool White and adds 2 more Royal Blue LED's.

Anyways, highly recommended. You should be able to support any type of coral with that bulb.

For SPS though, you will want a powerhead/wavemaker of some sorts, but that could always be added later ;)

It was pretty expensive for that orphek light! I like how it makes this beautiful shimmering effect though:

Love this orphek light

Looks good my friend. I wish I had gone with an led bulb from the beginning. Right now I have a par 38 reefbreeders and a 2x18 watt t5 over my 10g, and can't believe how much better the led makes things look.

I've also got the aquaclear 70, as well as a fluval c2 filter. It's easier to replace media in the c2, so I'm switching between purigen and GFO in that.

Funny how similar your tank is compared to mine... same powerhead/filter placement, same amount of sand, and minimal amounts of rock. Good luck with your tank, I just might tag along if you keep updating.

Looks good my friend. I wish I had gone with an led bulb from the beginning. Right now I have a par 38 reefbreeders and a 2x18 watt t5 over my 10g, and can't believe how much better the led makes things look.

I've also got the aquaclear 70, as well as a fluval c2 filter. It's easier to replace media in the c2, so I'm switching between purigen and GFO in that.

Funny how similar your tank is compared to mine... same powerhead/filter placement, same amount of sand, and minimal amounts of rock. Good luck with your tank, I just might tag along if you keep updating.

By all means, tag along. Here is the first fish:

Ricky Bobby the Clownfish

gallery_2633821_1302_917556.jpg

I got it for less off ebay. It was still pretty expensive though. I heard horror stories regarding going cheap with regular Par38, plus this orphek has two UV led's, I wanted to keep this future proof in a way.

Here is my first coral

gallery_2633821_1305_23966.jpg

Looks great. I kept a 10g aga tank for about 2 years with just a hang on back filter. Wasn't even a modded ac70 fuge and whatnot....just a standard hang on back filter for a 55 gallon tank with the carbon filter bags. Keep up with top offs and water changes and you should have a super successful system. The more simple you keep it the easier it is to find out whats wrong in the event that something does happen.

How long has your tank been running? Have you gotten a full cycle yet? Seems kind of early for fish and corals if you haven't even added clean up crew yet. As for background I would have suggested painting the back with krylon fusion before you filled it...but too late for that haha. Maybe you could just use black or blue paper? Curious to see how this tank comes along!

• 2 months later...

Come a long way since September :)

Things are looking good in my tank after three months! Started using zeovit additives, tank looks fantastic!

My Nano Box Mono with StormX controller.
reef-0594_zps69fc3e8f.jpg

My DIY skimmer & RowaPhos/Carbon Reactor.
reef-0592_zps58e676ff.jpg

Rocky the Skunk Cleaner Shrimp.
reef-0591_zpsbdba4f8e.jpg

ORA Green Damicornis from LFS. Under moonlighting.
reef-0575_zps7b6c0e76.jpg

Exotic Reef Creations Frogspawn.
reef-0565_zpsebd56f34.jpg

Exotic Reef Creations Hammer.
reef-0536_zpse1785df2.jpg

Sebastian the Sexy Shrimp, from LFS.
reef-0545_zps41bad7a2.jpg

Encrusting Gorgonian from a local club member.
reef-0534_zps67312196.jpg

Gross cyano, tank needs a water change! This is what you get when you forget to tune your airstone skimmer, they are a PITA sometimes but what else could you run on a 10g with no sump? Luckily this cyano cleared up since this picture was taken.
reef-0532_zps5c77f6de.jpg

Ricky Bobby & Ron Burgundy, my false perc clownfish.
reef-0533_zpsf05b1956.jpg

Duncan from Exotic Reef Creations.
reef-0530_zps8892fe22.jpg

Montipora Setosa from a local club member.
reef-0529_zpse1bd4de3.jpg

Frogspawn, Hammer, & Montipora.
reef-0526_zps4d0f49e1.jpg

Duncan from LFS, & some palys from a local club member. Ricky Bobby chillin in the background.
reef-0527_zps4a2bcde5.jpg

My girlfriend named all the livestock, hence the names

Archived