Coral Vue Hydros

Fluval Spec V

BigDookie

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol. New product design takes time, especially with all the other products to keep production up on. We are looking at the options and want to try something new for an adjustable surface skimmer on this line. Like all product design we never put a deadline on it, you're just asking for failure if you do. But we will post updates here as they are known. Thanks guys.

• 1 month later...

5 more minutes!

Still playing around with surface skimmer options. If that is still important we will continue. The media basket part is basically done that was easy.

Any updates on this one? I have my Spec V sitting here ready for water as soon as I get a Mediabasket for it! ;-)

Have you tried something like I tried to draw below? Using a pair of plastic thumb screw that go from inside the tank through the stock skimming grate and screw in to your water direction piece, allowing you to adjust the water height by adjusting the position of the water director up and down?

post-75015-0-62619600-1381327447_thumb.jpg

Have you tried something like I tried to draw below? Using a pair of plastic thumb screw that go from inside the tank through the stock skimming grate and screw in to your water direction piece, allowing you to adjust the water height by adjusting the position of the water director up and down?

attachicon.gifadjustable surface skimmer.jpg

Thanks for the idea! I don't think this will need a water direction piece after having one test out the bioucbe 8 basket in this tank, but it may be nice to have one regardless. This would be helpful in attaching the adjustable surface skimmer.

5 more minutes!

Still playing around with surface skimmer options. If that is still important we will continue. The media basket part is basically done that was easy.

Yes, please continue, the skimmer is the key part.

Just got done looking over this. Ideally the piece would be black but the minimums for the plastic may not make it possible. The piece will be mostly clear after the laser, some of these were cut in a process for testing, not production so the yellowing will not be there on production.

The question is if clear do we need these lines? I would not have as many in the final version if yes. What they do is allow you straight lines to cut and customize your piece for the specific water level that you need. the piece can still be moved up and down and goes through the intake grate and latches on to the media basket.

This plastic is extremely flexible yet holds it's shape wherever you put it. It is hard to break even with constant movement but can be cut with a razor or scissors.

What do you guys think?

20131024_131056_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20131024_131122_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20131024_131143_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20131024_131156_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20131024_131208_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Portions cut out to allow more water flow:

20131024_131244_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20131024_131347_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20131024_131445_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Is there no surface skimming without the attachment?

I was sort of under the impression that by plugging the lower hole, the overflow will skim assuming the water level in the chamber is kept low enough.

Is there no surface skimming without the attachment?

I was sort of under the impression that by plugging the lower hole, the overflow will skim assuming the water level in the chamber is kept low enough.

We are begin told by current owners, and I can see what they are talking about, that with the water level where most put it there is little surface skimming. Most of the water will pull lower in the grates not breaking the surface tension and leaving surface film. Just plugging the hole won't do anything IMO, it is there for safety for the pump if the top intake were to get plugged. A few tank manufactures use this same hole.

If you think we will want to be cutting off a section or 2, then I would like the lines to help get a nice clean cut.

That's the million dollar question, would anyone want or need to cut. The piece will cause a better surface skim as is, but if someone needed a more custom approach then it certainly provides a perfectly straight line to cut on. The only reason I question the line(s) is that if the piece ends up being clear, you probably will sort of see them in the display. Now someone could always spray this quick with black krylon fussion.

Most of the water will pull lower in the grates not breaking the surface tension and leaving surface film.

Damn that surface tension. Physics sucks sometimes.

That's the million dollar question, would anyone want or need to cut. The piece will cause a better surface skim as is, but if someone needed a more custom approach then it certainly provides a perfectly straight line to cut on. The only reason I question the line(s) is that if the piece ends up being clear, you probably will sort of see them in the display. Now someone could always spray this quick with black krylon fussion.

The only reason I could see for cutting it is if you added a second return pump for more flow (which some have done with the fluval spec v). This likely would raise the water level a little, and might necessitate the lowering of the surface skimmer to compensate. Perhaps you can try tossing a second return pump in there and see if the added flow combined with the surface skimmer still keeps the water level at a reasonable place.

Archived