Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Topless Fluval Edge 12g

Zoom1

Starting a new project. Recently removed the top of my Fluval Edge 12g, which seems to be the popular decision among Edge owners. Tank seemed to maintain it's structural integrity just fine, and looks 100x better as a rimless tank!

I'm still pretty new to the hobby and am open to any successful opinions on how to run the tank.

Lighting - I'm leaning towards PAR38 bulbs from RapidLED. 1 bulb or 2? I like the look of a hanging light as opposed to a fixture. With these bulbs, I'm assuming there is only one setting(on/off). What do you do at night? Leave it off or find a lower intensity night bulb?

Filter - Read many, many opposing opinions and I am open to any ideas that work and relatively easy to a new reefer. I would like the option to keep advanced corals in the tank if I choose. I'd rather not use a sump and a bit confused as to how a refuge works. Again, I'm open to all ideas as long as they have proven successful.

Power heads - I currently own a Koralis Nano and was thinking of purchasing another to go on the opposite side to create more turbulence.

My goal is to be able to keep more advanced corals if I choose, however will stock with easy corals to start. I have read that nanos do not require skimmers and refuges and have read that they do.

Any info to help get me started buying supplies would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to being around on the site.

Thanks!

I would think given the size of the tank that one light would be more than enough but I don't have experiences with par38s so ill let someone else confirm that. As for night you could get one of those moonlight led's and mount that somewhere on the light. Otherwise you can go without the moonlight and just run a light during the day.

For a filter I would recommend using purigen along with chemipure or some other type of activated carbon. Smaller tanks are where chemical filtration really shines. I would skip the idea of putting a refugium in unless you were going to somehow run it down to a sump. Given the limited size it wouldn't really make THAT much of a difference. The secret to more advanced corals is stability so let your tank establish for a few months and keep some easier corals to start with. Keep testing params to see how they fluxuate before adding hard to keep corals. Water changes will be the best way to keep the tank clean. I'd recommend 10-20% weekly. Maybe 2 10% changes a week. This should keep it looking squeaky clean.

Start with the first koralia and see what kind of movement you get. Remember to leave space for water to flow in your live rock. The goal is to not allow detritus to settle so it ends up getting picked up in the filtration. If you have dead spots then add a second PH.

Many companies now offer hang on back nano refugiums, and skimmers. These (depending on the individual tank) aren't always necessary. In your case I think the chemical filtration along with filter floss and regular cleaning schedule will be your best bet. Due to the set up of fluvals you would have to somehow plumb it to a sump to fit a refugium and skimmer so I wouldn't go with that. Water changes and the filtration I described should be more than enough. Hope that helps!

When you say to use purigen or chemipure, is that in an HOB filter or a canister? I'm leaning away from any skimmer or refugium. Thanks for the help!

It originally came with the fluval filter, but since I moved and broke down my last setup, it broke in moving. So I'm starting fresh with the best, most efficient equipment. Thanks for the help guys.

Looks as I'm going to use a PAR38 with full spectrum lighting with a HOB filter with your recommended media. Nothing too fancy like a sump or skimmer. I'm also going to buy another powerhead.

• 2 years later...

Archived