Top Shelf Aquatics

Seachem Stability?

iamjimwood

ok so i have never added anything to assist in the cycle process before but today while i was getting RO/DI from my LFS to set up my biocube 29, my friend there recomended stability from seachem. on the bottle it says "fish and other aquatic species may be introduced at any time as long as dosage is maintained for 7 days" Is there any truth to this? seems way too good to be true. i am happy to wait but if this stuff really is what it says then that would be really cool. Any useful info would be appreciated. i tried a google search but came up with mostly fresh water related uses.

happyhour99

i've used this with mixed results

Reef- i got inpatient with my cycle, so i added this 3 weeks into a cycle. It had finish the ammonia and had a strong nitrite spike (+10 ppm) within 48 hours my nitrtes went to zero. I'm not sure if this was because of stability or because my cycle just finished. but it worked.

Betta fish tank- added this since the beginning. and 2 weeks later, it still has not finished. It cycled ammonia really fast (i saw zero ammonia), but nitrite still hasn't finished. BUT this might be because its a BETTA fish tank, so there is NO flow. IMO the lack of oxygen is limiting the growth of the nitrating bacteria.

2 different environments- i haven't done real testing. One of these days i'll throw in some seachem matrix and stability into a empty tank with a powerhead and ammonia and see how long it really takes to cycle

IMO- NEVER do fish cycle, alway do fishless cycles!!!!! Get a cheap bottle of ammonia from ACE. Dose it with Seachem Stability. Once your tank stabilizes (pun intended) then add fish. IMO wait until your tank can handle 1-2 ppm of ammonia and take it all the way to nitrate in 24 hours before you add any fish.

Edit: That only if your impatient. Generally its better if your patient and just let the tank cycle on its own.

2nd edit: Meant to say nitrites not nitrates

Just buy good live rock that is fully cured or buy live rock right out of another hobbyists tank. You won't have a cycle that lasts more than a week in a tiny nano tank. If you get live rock and sand out of another hobbyist's tank, you will have no cycle as long as you can prevent die off getting it to your tank.

Reef- i got inpatient with my cycle, so i added this 3 weeks into a cycle. It had finish the ammonia and had a strong nitrite spike (+10 ppm) within 48 hours my nitrates went to zero. I'm not sure if this was because of stability or because my cycle just finished. but it worked.

IMO- NEVER do fish cycle, alway do fishless cycles!!!!! Get a cheap bottle of ammonia from ACE. Dose it with Seachem Stability. Once your tank stabilizes (pun intended) then add fish. IMO wait until your tank can handle 1-2 ppm of ammonia and take it all the way to nitrate in 24 hours before you add any fish.

Edit: That only if your impatient. Generally its better if your patient and just let the tank cycle on its own.

fantastic info here. i had no intention of adding fish DURING a cycle. i was asking if this stuff helped finish the cycle that early. i did some test today and got some unexpected results.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/329801-jims-rimless-biocube-29/#entry4393520

take a look if you are interested or think you could offer an opinion,

Thanks for your insight into this product.

Just buy good live rock that is fully cured or buy live rock right out of another hobbyists tank. You won't have a cycle that lasts more than a week in a tiny nano tank. If you get live rock and sand out of another hobbyist's tank, you will have no cycle as long as you can prevent die off getting it to your tank.

I have done this in the past but this time around i didnt want to chance any cyano or nuceance algae so i used all my old rock but scrubbed the crap out of it and let it dry for a while and used new substrate. again take a peek at my tank thread there is a ton more info there. link is above.

i used stability, microbacter 7 and an old piece of blue filter sponge from my other tank. has worked so far

Archived