Coral Vue Hydros

Cream City Reef: New Macro Photos!

wow.such.chris

jedimasterben

So the Siganus genus will eat up bubble algae? Like a One Spot Foxface? Because I want to get it under control then be able to keep up with it by siphoning and H2O2 injection.

Yes, but it's down to the individual fish on how into it they are. I've had three S. doliatus and all have loved the stuff.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow.such.chris
i got a question plz.What are those orange zoas?I Really Really like those and would love to try and find some.

Orange bam bams, pretty common from my understanding. Id send ya some if it wasnt 11 degrees this morning....

Yes, but it's down to the individual fish on how into it they are. I've had three S. doliatus and all have loved the stuff.

wouldn't an appropriately sized UV sterilizer and manual removal help the problem some? I mean that way even if the spores are released they will eventually make their way through the unit and become boiled spinach,

Orange bam bams, pretty common from my understanding. Id send ya some if it wasnt 11 degrees this morning....

ya i live in oregon no shipping in winter here sucks haha

wow.such.chris
ya i live in oregon no shipping in winter here sucks haha

If your still looking and remember this spring ill send ya some pro bono.

wouldn't an appropriately sized UV sterilizer and manual removal help the problem some? I mean that way even if the spores are released they will eventually make their way through the unit and become boiled spinach,

In my case, manual removal just cant keep up. I remove handfuls multiple times a week and dose peroxide to take care of spores, the only place ive irradicated them is above the waterline where I can peroxide treat during water changes.

jedimasterben

Well, kind of. UV sterilization wouldn't kill it, it would just prevent it from reproducing. It would also need to have fairly low flow rates or a very large unit. http://www.water-research.net/index.php/water-treatment/water-disinfection/uv-disinfection

Hey Ben have you ever heard of a diatomaceous earth filter? It's an old school method but if I remember correctly when I was working at the LFS a guy used some on his Dinos and cleared them up in no time. At $20 it might be worth a try.

Hey Ben have you ever heard of a diatomaceous earth filter? It's an old school method but if I remember correctly when I was working at the LFS a guy used some on his Dinos and cleared them up in no time. At $20 it might be worth a try.

diatomaceous earth is a carcinogen I believe, really messy stuff to work with aswell hence why you don't see them around much anymore most people use micron filters for water polishing now as a replacement.

Well, kind of. UV sterilization wouldn't kill it, it would just prevent it from reproducing. It would also need to have fairly low flow rates or a very large unit. http://www.water-research.net/index.php/water-treatment/water-disinfection/uv-disinfection

I thought plant material like algae had some of the lowest levels of UV required to sterilize it, I was thinking a 25w would probably be sufficient to accomplish this as you could hook a real pump up to it and get a lot of turnover. Heres the EOL data for aqua ultraviolets (probably them or emperor aquatics make the best quality units) http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/sites/default/files/brochures/UV%20Charts%20Salt%20and%20Fresh%20Water.pdf

diatomaceous earth is a carcinogen I believe, really messy stuff to work with aswell hence why you don't see them around much anymore most people use micron filters for water polishing now as a replacement.

Are you sure? I've read/heard (but I don't remember where) that diatomaceous earth can be used in the house safely around kids and pets to get rid of bugs (kinds with exoskeletons). I had looked into this when I had centipede problems but worried about my cat getting sick from chemicals...

It can't be all that horrible; they have filter pads with it available commercially. I believe the trick was the fact that the DE is a "jagged" sand as opposed to a crystalline grain and because of that, it has the ability to catch fine particles/spores. Sorry, for all I know, I could be blowing smoke up your ass. :lol:

Are you sure? I've read/heard (but I don't remember where) that diatomaceous earth can be used in the house safely around kids and pets to get rid of bugs (kinds with exoskeletons). I had looked into this when I had centipede problems but worried about my cat getting sick from chemicals...

I believe so if inhaled from what I read somewhere, diatom filters is what I was researching.

here we go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth#Safety_considerations and if your wondering how deadly silicosis is, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawks_Nest_Tunnel_Disaster

yup not saying it isn't sold anymore just saying they fell out of favor. micron filters for water polishing is just easier lol

Ahhh Wikipedia... ;)

Guess It also depends how it's used, how much, and how often...

yeh pretty sure the first I read of it wasn't from there but googling d. earth carcinogen brought me there first lol.

I should probably reiterate the fact that I'm reaching pretty far back and my sub-par memory isn't exactly helping in the matter. I've been tempted to post about it several times, however I haven't done any research into the matter and could be completely wrong. [wanders off to google stuff]

I should probably reiterate the fact that I'm reaching pretty far back and my sub-par memory isn't exactly helping in the matter. I've been tempted to post about it several times, however I haven't done any research into the matter and could be completely wrong. [wanders off to google stuff]

I hear ya, same thing here I "discovered" it while researching water polishing techniques. I think paul b. may still use one during his water changes/dust storms he creates in his 40+ yr old reef.

sorry for derailing this thread like woah for a bit sooch. Jus tryin to throw ya some ideas.

Here we go:

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Lawler_Diatomfilters.html

"In the early l980's I found that diatom filters easily filtered out free-swimming dinospores ofAmyloodinium ocellatum, and in my outreach advisory program passed this knowledge on to various aquariums and aquaculture ventures around the country, enabling various facilities to exhibit dinoflagellate-free fish, and to raise redfish, cobia, red snapper, speckled trout, pompano, and other species without worry about deaths from A. ocellatum."

Dunno if that helps any but carry on with what your were discussing earlier

Edit: just realized this isn't Ben's thread [face\palm]

jedimasterben

I thought plant material like algae had some of the lowest levels of UV required to sterilize it, I was thinking a 25w would probably be sufficient to accomplish this as you could hook a real pump up to it and get a lot of turnover. Heres the EOL data for aqua ultraviolets (probably them or emperor aquatics make the best quality units) http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/sites/default/files/brochures/UV%20Charts%20Salt%20and%20Fresh%20Water.pdf

Some of the most expensive units, yes, but I would not call them 'the best'. They're all just plastic shells with a UV bulb inside them. They've got various internal structures but are all fundamentally the same and the quality of the bulb is what makes the difference. Considering that true UV sterilizer bulbs (not bulbs for nail curing that are much lower output) are $20-30 each and all probably made in the same factory in China, there is no way I would spend $800 on one.

Some of the most expensive units, yes, but I would not call them 'the best'. They're all just plastic shells with a UV bulb inside them. They've got various internal structures but are all fundamentally the same and the quality of the bulb is what makes the difference. Considering that true UV sterilizer bulbs (not bulbs for nail curing that are much lower output) are $20-30 each and all probably made in the same factory in China, there is no way I would spend $800 on one.

I just know goldfish and koi breeders swear by em, The 15w unit I had on my tank was really nice but costed in the realm of 100ish which yeh is a good bit, I am however ignorant on the technology that goes into them it just seemed very well built.

jedimasterben

I just know goldfish and koi breeders swear by em, The 15w unit I had on my tank was really nice but costed in the realm of 100ish which yeh is a good bit, I am however ignorant on the technology that goes into them it just seemed very well built.

Well, to be honest, 'high end' shrimp breeders swear by dozens of products that amount to little more than extremely dilute mineral water, special foods, etc, when tap water (depending on total hardness, of course) and basic foods work just as well. ;)

The SunSun UV sterilizer I have I wouldn't say isn't well-built but I definitely wouldn't like hit someone over the head with it or anything lol.

Well, to be honest, 'high end' shrimp breeders swear by dozens of products that amount to little more than extremely dilute mineral water, special foods, etc, when tap water (depending on total hardness, of course) and basic foods work just as well. ;)

The SunSun UV sterilizer I have I wouldn't say isn't well-built but I definitely wouldn't like hit someone over the head with it or anything lol.

Shrimpers are crazy, but who am I to tell them what works and won't work to keep their $2000 PRL imports alive and breeding, I know I wouldn't want to rock the boat with that much sunk into some water bugs.

haha, I guess thats where the aqua ultras take the upper hand in the head whomping category of reefkeeping.

wow.such.chris

Thanks Ben! I worked at a public aquarium for a while and they had some huge UV filters that were turned off. The curator insisted they were worthless. Also had a couple thousand gallon tank with a DE filter but I never really got around to asking questions about it.

• 6 months later...
wow.such.chris

Haven't been on here in some time. Definitely have made some changes since the last post.

SAM_0020_zps1uv6dxay.jpg

Got mt 1st BTA. I was hoping that the insane amount of black marks on my female clownfish would go away once I got her something to host. She doesn't touch other corals as far as I've seen but still seems to have the spots and it's been probably 3 months with the nem. Most of the time it hides in the shade behind all my rock, making it a pain to feed. Finally it's been starting to move into the front but it seems to move around quite a lot back and forth between shade and light.

SAM_0004_zps9javm63v.jpg

Hammer coral has been doing rough for the past week, not sure what's going on there. Hopefully not the beginning of brown jelly... It used to be huge, well over the size of my fist.

SAM_0007_zpsxximks9l.jpg

Also added that huge magnetic rock wall. Not a big fan of the shape I got but it's coming around. New orange monti on there. Also got a few more zoa varieties.

SAM_0016_zpswyksi9vb.jpg

SAM_0019_zpsedzkys24.jpg

SAM_0013_zpsuccn4ndo.jpg

SAM_0001_zpsezedcrhz.jpg

SAM_0002_zpsprqpvvby.jpg

SAM_0003_zpsgn5wrnvd.jpg

SAM_0004_zps9javm63v.jpg

SAM_0005_zpstb5w1art.jpg

SAM_0006_zpsh9fkgisq.jpg

SAM_0008_zpsjiigfymz.jpg

SAM_0005_zpstb5w1art.jpg

SAM_0008_zpsjiigfymz.jpg