Top Shelf Aquatics

Roger's Nikon Adventure

TheKleinReef

TheKleinReef

Hey There! My Name is Roger, and I'm in love with Lucy, my Nikon D610. We've produced some great pictures together, and this is only the beginning. This is just a simple thread i started to keep a record of some of my better photos and get advice from the wonderful people on nano-reef!

I tend to be better at macro and sport photography, but my goal is to get better at landscapes, long exposure, and portrait photography. I've gotten some good ones, but I'm not as consistent as I would like to be. Practice makes perfect!

Info:

Body: Nikon D610

Equipment: HyperDrive iUSBport Camera 2.0

Lenses:

• Nikon Nikkor FX AF-S 24-120 1:4G ED VR
  • Nikon Nikkor 50mm f1.8G
  • Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor FX 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
  • Nikon AF-A Nikkor FX 70-200m f/2.8G ED VR II

Wish List: :wub:

• Nikon Nikkor FX AF-S 200mm f/2G ED VR II
  • Nikon Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8
  • Nikon Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 VR
  • Nikon Nikkor 50mm f1.4G

Photoeditors:

Adobe Lightroom 5

Adobe Photoshop CS6

Google NIK Collection

Major Photo-dumps:

Garnett Ghost Town, MT

Highland Park, WY

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first thing I'd say is to never shoot at 1.8 unless you know you want to. You will get a softer image if you shoot wide open. Backing down to 2.8 should give you a much sharper image. Since you are asking advise, I'm guessing that it is this sharpness that you are looking for because otherwise, I don't see a problem with the pics by any means.

For really sharp images, I use speedlites over my tank. Always a good example of that...

8705346480_489cb0835d_b.jpg
IMG_3046 by bishop171980, on Flickr

Solarflare8806

Nice pictures, one way you can get a perfectly black background is by taking the blacks slider and moving it down till the background is completely black.

I like the urchin.

TheKleinReef

Nice pictures, one way you can get a perfectly black background is by taking the blacks slider and moving it down till the background is completely black.

I like the urchin.

i tried that, but it made the shadows underneath look really weird. so i did my best to use the selection tool and try it. i'll again with another pic

Solarflare8806

I've never used photoshop elements before, I use Lightroom... maybe check youtube for some tutorials but I think the picture looks good. Keep shooting and you will discover new ways to get great shots.

TheKleinReef

I've never used photoshop elements before, I use Lightroom... maybe check youtube for some tutorials but I think the picture looks good. Keep shooting and you will discover new ways to get great shots.

that what i plan on doing. i took like 300 pics just tweaking different settings. as for editing i have a lot to learn. hahah thanks for the tip!

• 2 months later...
TheKleinReef

I busted out the DSLR again:

camera: Nikon D300s

Lens: 50mm 1.8d

format: RAW

ISO: 200

shutter speed: 160-200

aperture: 3.2

WB: 10000K

Radion setting: 12000K

timer: 2 seconds for corals, off for fish pics

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/roger_090/media/wrasse-leet-pic.jpg.html'>wrasse-leet-pic.jpg

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/roger_090/media/FTS-2.jpg.html'>FTS-2.jpg

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/roger_090/media/torch.jpg.html'>torch.jpg

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/roger_090/media/torch-2.jpg.html'>torch-2.jpg

any additional advice, now i'm trying to learn how to capture my tank life in one picture. practice makes perfect i guess. out of the 200 pics i took, i got 5 decent ones. lol

Photobucket is very limited in image size so if you let them get sized down when uploading, they are basically destroyed.

I use Flickr. Larger images and I've never had quality issues.

TheKleinReef

Photobucket is very limited in image size so if you let them get sized down when uploading, they are basically destroyed.

I use Flickr. Larger images and I've never had quality issues.

Oh. Thanks so much. I'll make a Flickr account instead! :D

The 2nd batch looks a bit underexposed on my monitor. Other than that I like them :)

Photobucket is nearly as bad as facebook for image quality. Flickr is much better if you can deal with how non-user-friendly it is.

TheKleinReef

The 2nd batch looks a bit underexposed on my monitor. Other than that I like them :)

Photobucket is nearly as bad as facebook for image quality. Flickr is much better if you can deal with how non-user-friendly it is.

how should i fix the underexposed issue? (i'm not exactly sure what that is. :unsure: )

the FTS on my computer screen is amazing, i'm gonna get a Flickr so i can share it.

how should i fix the underexposed issue? (i'm not exactly sure what that is. :unsure: )

It means the photos are a little darker than what is optimal (in my opinion obviously).

TheKleinReef

It means the photos are a little darker than what is optimal (in my opinion obviously).

the brigher they got the whiter they got and it started to look a tad weird. how do you like the flickr photo? any more tips? :)

Pics look slightly underexposed here as well. You can bump ISO, change shutter speed, open the lens up, mess with it in RAW/editing, or any combination of those (first 3 are done on camera before you take the pic).

SouthFlorida_Tron

center focus point works great on those close up shots you were trying to do. Are you aware if its on single focus point or multi point? also your metering... that will affect the iso and ss

TheKleinReef

center focus point works great on those close up shots you were trying to do. Are you aware if its on single focus point or multi point? also your metering... that will affect the iso and ss

AH! back to the camera manual i go.

It's really just a personal preference I think but I prefer to take all my tank shots with a Couple speedlites over the tank and maybe infront of the tank as long as I can avoid the glare on the glass.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived