Cultivated Reef

Bristle star fish

Fishn00b

Ok not sure how to handle these little pest. I have thousands of them in the bottom of my tank. I know they are harmless, I find them annoying and they are messing with my Mandarin Dragonlet. What I Am thinking about doing is pumping a 29gal tank full of my salt water, moving all fish, snails, and Anemone's over, and start washing all crashed coral with fresh water to kill as many as I can.

Any thoughts on this? Or any better ideas on how to handle them?

Thank you all so every much for any info.

Well don't kill them. If you have a local reef club, bring a bag of them to it; you'll be a hero. A LFS would probably take them off your hands for free.

Their population IS due to available food (probably detritus in your crushed coral substrate). Replacing the bed with a 1" sand substrate will probably limit their food source, and thus their population.

If you decide to replace your sand bed, take everything out of your tank first (including any water that you want to save). Once you disturb the sand bed, you will foul the water (and it will have to be discarded).

Although the crushed coral might also be supporting pods for your Mandarin.

These are the little white bristle star's down in the crushed, I'd be happy to overnight some to a few people if you just private message me your address, Tomorrow Ill try to get a little film to show what I am talking about.

thegambler26

Almost sounds like your talking about asterina star fish. Mini Brittle stars are usually black and white or red and white. All you can usually see of them is there legs sticking out of the rocks. If you can see the whole thing, its white, and is an oddly shaped star... it's an asterina.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201195284074194&l=292787632495374385, this is a really bad video of the star fish i'm talking about, you can see the little white arms on the Mandarin, then i moved over on a rock that has an asterina star with bristle arms sticking out, the last couple seconds are on a rock that has them all over it. If anyone want some of them let me know I live in small town USA so there is literally no one in this town that I know of that has a salt tank. And thanks for the suggestion seabass if anyone wants some Ill scrap some of the crushed coral out with them in it. that would also give me some room to add straight sand sub straint.

BojanMilenkovic

If you don't want a massive population of asterinas buy harlequin shrimp,they are cute and eat only starfish.

• 3 years later...

Archived