Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tired of cleaning nasty filter socks in your sump?

Lawnman

BeardedReeferLLC

Making one as soon as I get back from work.. would be worth trying for sure. Thanks.

for those who hate cleaning filter socks:

throw them in your washing machine with a cup of bleach, they come out like new, just make sure you let them dry so all the bleach evaps before you put them back in your sump.

i've been doing this for years and it makes cleaning filter socks a breeze and have not had any problems with my pants growing algae ;)

So I made mine, and within one hour it was overflowing. Filter floss was still clean except fir the top inch or so.
Not sure exactly how you did it bit mine works great. Today makes 11 days since I changed my filter floss and I have no overflowing problems. I did a waterchange last Sunday but did not change the floss. I drilled about 10 1/2 inch holes and about 15 1/4 inch holes.
  • 6 months later...

for those who hate cleaning filter socks:

throw them in your washing machine with a cup of bleach, they come out like new, just make sure you let them dry so all the bleach evaps before you put them back in your sump.

i've been doing this for years and it makes cleaning filter socks a breeze and have not had any problems with my pants growing algae ;)

My wife would kick my @ss if I did this. . .

So I made mine, and within one hour it was overflowing. Filter floss was still clean except fir the top inch or so.

Any luck with this?

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

anybody still using this?

I built one of these, but went back to a filter sock. Either way they both get nasty. A filter sock in a hanger is easier IMO. I replace with the weekly water change and toss them in the washing machine. Pretty simple.

• 3 months later...

Old thread, but I'm designing a new sump, and was considering putting in filter socks, but keep hearing a lot of people hating on them hard. What I've done in the past is similar to this, but a lot simpler and easier. Basicly in-between two bubble trap baffles, I silicone in a piece of egg crate. so the water flows over the baffle, drops about 1.5 inches, hits the egg crate, which is right at the water level, then proceeds down under the bubble trap, and on towards the rest of the sump. I then place a 1 inch strip of filter floss on the egg crate, peel it up once or twice a week and replace. My previous sumps have all been 12" wide, and my roll of filter floss is 12" wide, so I just cut tons of strips. Super easy to replace, the water has to go through it, and it doesn't cause any pressure issues, since the water has already made it over the baffle and is falling through the floss. After all my reading, I might just stick with my original idea instead of trying to incorporate filter socks (I've never had them before, so I don't have a healthy hatred for them yet)

• 9 months later...

That moment when you're considering retro fitting your sump to take filter socks, find a thread discussing it, and you're the most recent person to comment, about your previous decision not to incorporate socks in your sump :P

• 4 weeks later...

They are already patented...RotterTube

I couldn't find anything indicating a patent granted or pending on the Rotter tube... And this thread is almost 3 years old...

They are already patented...RotterTube

Not like I was profiting from it I was filling a need for filtration in my sump.

Also it was renamed to The Crapper Trapper :)

Not like I was profiting from it I was filling a need for filtration in my sump.

Also it was renamed to The Crapper Trapper :)

Ha!

Socks are annoying. I want floss :(

I am going to make something for the reefer I am tired of cleaning those POS socks

Yeah I was looking at the crapper trapper earlier but don't see how it could be done without taking the sump apart.

I have a dozen socks of different materials so can just swap em and wash em I guess

Yeah I was looking at the crapper trapper earlier but don't see how it could be done without taking the sump apart.I have a dozen socks of different materials so can just swap em and wash em I guess

I am going to make a tube that drops in the filter sock holder that holds floss.
  • 7 months later...
Nanoreefwanabe

Personally I hate anything that blocks the end of a drain line. .I find it easier to just out a piece if filter flood between my baffles. . Ask the water has to pass by it and if it plugs too much water flows over it to the next chamber. .. no chance of flooding your display though

Archived