ReefCleaners.org

Kessil announces new light. A360W Controllable

eddiecorrea

eddiecorrea

So Kessil just announced the new A360 wide and narrow. It is controllable by a variable dim 0-10v port. It also uses their "Kessil logic" The light still has 2 knobs but one controls from all white to all blue. The other controls the intensity. They say you can get 30% more intensity out of it. You can also daisy chain them together. The first light is the master while all others are the slaves. They will set to whatever the first light is set at. Starts shipping this month for $449.

I think it will be a good light but not worth $449. Especially when you need to buy the mount for another $50. So $500 for a starter LED as it is still way behind most LEDs.

What does everyone else think?

eddiecorrea

Sounds like a rip off.

Pretty much my thoughts. $360 for the old one was a rip. Another $90 for dimming? What a joke.

St.Pete_Reefer

I've been searching for users of Kessil that have seen growth in SPS but I havent seen any pictures to show growth yet. Kessil makes it easy to mount and only one light and looks good, but its just an LED multichip you can buy and make yourself for under $150 easily. I have 2 multichips that I tested. Only issue is heat with the multichip, colors and wattage are easy to find along with controller.

Just check out the specs on this one http://www.marinedepot.com/Kessil_A150W_Special_Blend_LED_Aquarium_Light_Aquarium_LED_Pendant_Lights-Kessil-YH1111-FILTFILDLP-vi.html

Says 150w BUT : RODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

Illuminator Power Consumption 32 Watt Maximum Input Voltage 24 VDC ± 5%
Listed Power Supply Input 100-240 VAC 50-60 Hz Output 24 VDC, Maxiumum 2.1A, 50 Watts

Link to DIY : http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2128756

eddiecorrea

I've been searching for users of Kessil that have seen growth in SPS but I havent seen any pictures to show growth yet. Kessil makes it easy to mount and only one light and looks good, but its just an LED multichip you can buy and make yourself for under $150 easily. I have 2 multichips that I tested. Only issue is heat with the multichip, colors and wattage are easy to find along with controller.

Just check out the specs on this one http://www.marinedepot.com/Kessil_A150W_Special_Blend_LED_Aquarium_Light_Aquarium_LED_Pendant_Lights-Kessil-YH1111-FILTFILDLP-vi.html

Says 150w BUT : RODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

Illuminator Power Consumption 32 Watt Maximum Input Voltage 24 VDC ± 5%

Listed Power Supply Input 100-240 VAC 50-60 Hz Output 24 VDC, Maxiumum 2.1A, 50 Watts

Link to DIY : http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2128756

I had some growth with my A150Ws in my SPS. But my growth has exploded with my AI nanos.

Okay, my cannon build with PWM input dimming is costing $100 and is about as powerful as the new one listed, at 45w all luxeon ES except for violets. Plus I'm adding arduino control for another $35. You can daisy chain them too.

And they're asking $450? Maxspect Razor all the way.

eddiecorrea

People on Kessils facebook are having mixed reactions. One guy is all over Kessils nuts. Saying they are amazing blah blah. He got really defensive when I said they aren't worth $450 at all and said a Vega is $500 and is full spectrum. He tried to ask where the UV was in a Vega and I asked about reds and greens. He then tried to say that the whites in the Kessil provide enough red and green. haha.

If this light were $200 I'd pick one up. But at $450 not a chance in hell. You can get a used Radion for that and we all know Radions are alot better lights.

People on Kessils facebook are having mixed reactions. One guy is all over Kessils nuts. Saying they are amazing blah blah. He got really defensive when I said they aren't worth $450 at all and said a Vega is $500 and is full spectrum. He tried to ask where the UV was in a Vega and I asked about reds and greens. He then tried to say that the whites in the Kessil provide enough red and green. haha.

If this light were $200 I'd pick one up. But at $450 not a chance in hell. You can get a used Radion for that and we all know Radions are alot better lights.

This was kessil blowing their load early. They have a unique product that is lacking in technology. The a150w imo is a bargain for the price, making a slightly larger version with manual knobs to control it at a price of double?, not so much a bargain.

What I would like to see from kessil ( or make myself ) would be a base bar with swivel mounts for clean mounting of the lights

and for them to plug into the bar) The ability to mount 4 of these on the bar and to aim them would be a great selling point for these.

Add in a little bit of red &green to their chip i mean really how hard would that be.

Add a controller no one likes tooling around with knobs to dim throughout the day, no one is going to be impressed by your tank having a sunset manually.

Until then I will be rocking my solo a150w over my tank. Kessil is really not making use of the biggest benefit of these lights which is clean mounting and easy aiming in a japanese style light fixture.

eddiecorrea

This was kessil blowing their load early. They have a unique product that is lacking in technology. The a150w imo is a bargain for the price, making a slightly larger version with manual knobs to control it at a price of double?, not so much a bargain.

What I would like to see from kessil ( or make myself ) would be a base bar with swivel mounts for clean mounting of the lights

and for them to plug into the bar) The ability to mount 4 of these on the bar and to aim them would be a great selling point for these.

Add in a little bit of red &green to their chip i mean really how hard would that be.

Add a controller no one likes tooling around with knobs to dim throughout the day, no one is going to be impressed by your tank having a sunset manually.

Until then I will be rocking my solo a150w over my tank. Kessil is really not making use of the biggest benefit of these lights which is clean mounting and easy aiming in a japanese style light fixture.

You hit it right on the head. They are a year behind the times. And when the A350w launched they were so proud of their $3 knobs. haha

I used to love Kessil. But at this point I wouldn't consider buying another. I was lucky to sell my 2 A150s for a decent price.

I bought the kessil because its all I need for my tank. I have been using an ai sol white and yes it's cool to have the controllability an the auto dimming and all that but in all honesty it does nothing for me. I have kept par 38's over my recent build an it hasn't been a huge deal to have them turn off and on without dimming in and out. I agree that it could have some greens and reds in the chip but I have seen a lot of tanks with the kessils and the color is good enough for me. I was considering returning my a350w for the new model but honestly it's not worth 50 more dollars to me. Each light out has its pros and cons, to each his own I guess.

You hit it right on the head. They are a year behind the times. And when the A350w launched they were so proud of their $3 knobs. haha

I used to love Kessil. But at this point I wouldn't consider buying another. I was lucky to sell my 2 A150s for a decent price.

I really like the spectrum of my a150w sky blue its just what I would naturally program one at so I am lucky in that respect. Now what pisses me off is how these have to be mounted hanging by their cord to look sleek in the least.

I love the japanese style of a lot of small spotlights over a tank on a single bar 4 of these hitting different angles of a small tank imo would be amazing especially if I could hit different spectrums on each (the sum of which would still look good ofc)

My mode of thinking I guess would be 4 kessil type lights on a bar one with only UV,red,green. One with neutral white only, One with royal blue, one with regular blue. Being able to adjuct these would be critical ofc.

Correct aiming would be pretty effective for killing any and all disco effect people complain of but spillover around the sides of the tank would be some strange colors i suspect. Maybe I can experiment with diy versions.

In any constant current driver, you can probably add a dimming feature for ~$5 in the form of a low-ohm potentiometer. I think some driver might be different, but by changing the driver design it's pretty easy. You can also add PWM input for about $2 instead.

Both of the above can be done for less money if you are a big company like Kessil.

kyle_yokomo

Theres something about the Kessil, Its very unique and has it own color effect, shimmer is amazing. No one can deny that. However they due lack a lot of features, mainly not being able to program them. Still some people can due without all the programming and sunup sun down settings, because the shimmer and color are awesome, best I've seen.

I must a admit though I sold my Kessil, because I don't like goosenecks, when the lights on the fans on, and I never found a good way to mount it without making a custom mount. Kessil would boost sales if they made a mount like the ai nano or a acrylic arm or something.

I agree with you Eddie nice lights, but that's to much money, I would rather buy a AI or something programmable

I see a niche for them on very deep tanks. I think I recall reading no lights can penetrate as well as kessils in their price range. Too bad for them the trend in reefing is shallow tanks.

How are the Kessils when it comes to upgradability or replacement? Lets say the led/chip or whatever needs replacment. Is it possible like the AI SOL, Radions and so on, or is it impossible on the Kessil.

Impossible. They use a kind of multichip, more like a bunch of leds crammed together, so to replace an led it's a lot of work.

But why would you replace one? If it burns out, that's on them. Just get a new fixture.

EDIT: You'd have to replace these:

dense-matrix-array-led-dicon_0.jpg

Thats impossible to replace? That pretty much sucks. Why i would to replace it? Lets say it breaks and you have no more warranty. Buying a new fixture would be a waste of money if it was an easy fix like replacing that chip.

Well, I expect the warranty would be pretty big, being leds. I'll check it i a moment...

EDIT: found it, I think:

Kessil was a late-comer to the LED Grow Light scene, arriving in early 2010. Much like Stealth Grow, Kessil relies much on mis-labeling to sell their products. Of all the LED Grow Lights available today, Kessil has the highest cost per watt in the industry, with the industry's poorest warranty of only 1 year.

Well, I can't find any reviews that are bad, so assume that they won't burn out.

Archived