Coral Vue Hydros

Filefish with seahorses and pipefish?

gogot76

If you have seahorses and pipefish in a 20 gallon, could you put a filefish in there too? Would they fight? They aren't very competetive for food...right? It would just be sea grasses and gorgonians so no corals to eat. Thanks!

Would they fit? The filefish might outcompete the seahorses for food. What seahorses are in there? A 20g seems a little small, especially with pipefish.

A 20g high or long? What species of seahorses and pipefish? How many and what size?

Many Filefish are generally peaceful towards other fish, except other Filefish. They feed on meaty foods but can be aggressive towards inverts.

A 20g high or long? What species of seahorses and pipefish? How many and what size?

Many Filefish are generally peaceful towards other fish, except other Filefish. They feed on meaty foods but can be aggressive towards inverts.

We don't have it set up yet....but in the near future!? fingerscrossed The horses will probs be 2 tiger snout http://seahorsesource.com/barbouri.html

And maybe a bluestripe and dragon pipefish. I've ruled out the file fish, because they will stress out the horses. -_-

Oh and it is a 20 gal inbetween...kinda tall, but not a long...like a 10 gallon, but with higher walls.

lakshwadeep

Have you kept seahorses/pipes before? It seems like feeding them would be enough of a hassle to then add something else.

The type of filefish would also be important. The more generalist species (more similar to triggerfish) would be easier to keep, but you would also need to consider aggression.

Have you kept seahorses/pipes before? It seems like feeding them would be enough of a hassle to then add something else.

The type of filefish would also be important. The more generalist species (more similar to triggerfish) would be easier to keep, but you would also need to consider aggression.

We haven't but the horses/pipes will be on frozen food before we get them.

Ahh, barbouri! That's fine for a 20H. Don't go long with horses if you can. Still, no filefish IMO, due to competition, and even pipefish seems a tad risky. Most fish will outcompete seahorses, even if they are peaceful.

Just get a pair of barbouri and call it quits.

Actually, considering the cost of barbouri and limited availability, why not just upgrade to a 29 and go with erectus? Cheaper and easier, so if you mess up you'll be okay. Considering these are your first horses.

Actually, considering the cost of barbouri and limited availability, why not just upgrade to a 29 and go with erectus? Cheaper and easier, so if you mess up you'll be okay. Considering these are your first horses.

That does sound like a good idea, but how much would a 29 gallon be? And, we alreaday have the 20 gallon, so it is much more convenient.

$1 per gallon sale is $29 for a 29 gallon. It should not cost much more to set up a 29, as you already have nice pumps. seahorses like low flow anyway. A heater is only a few $ more.

Better idea in the long run IMO. Else the tank will sit there for months unfilled due to the limited availability of barbouri.

With a 29, you could also get kuda.

fretfreak13

We have a seahorse tank at the store I work at, and yes I know its breaking the "seahorse pathogen rule", but we have a few different kinds of fish in there with them. We also spend a TON of time making sure every seahorse gets the food it needs because I'm there 7 hours a day just to care for the fish. If you're going to do it, know that you need to take the extra time to make sure the horses get the food they need. We feed ours off of tongs, each one gets about 25 pieces of mysis throughout the day. We have kept barbs, erectus, reidi, abdomanalis, and comes this way.

The fish that we have found are ok (WITH the extra attention):

-orange spotted filefish

-tassled filefish

-japanese pigmy filefish

-firefish

-various prawn gobies

-various pipefish (if you're considering pipes, I recommend dragonface. We get them eating Nutrimar OVA easiest)

-various cardinals

Fish to avoid:

-All wrasses (except possum)

-all tangs

-all obvious (puffers, triggers, lions, etc.)

Keep in mind that this is just my experience and I am no "expert". This has and continues to work for us at our store due to the massive amount of time we spend on our horses.

Also, if you're getting a male, look up how to do a pouch evacuation now. Better to educate yourself on the problem incase it ever arises, cause it sure as hell scared the crud out of me the one time I've had to do it so far. lol

We have a seahorse tank at the store I work at, and yes I know its breaking the "seahorse pathogen rule", but we have a few different kinds of fish in there with them. We also spend a TON of time making sure every seahorse gets the food it needs because I'm there 7 hours a day just to care for the fish. If you're going to do it, know that you need to take the extra time to make sure the horses get the food they need. We feed ours off of tongs, each one gets about 25 pieces of mysis throughout the day. We have kept barbs, erectus, reidi, abdomanalis, and comes this way.

The fish that we have found are ok (WITH the extra attention):

-orange spotted filefish

-tassled filefish

-japanese pigmy filefish

-firefish

-various prawn gobies

-various pipefish (if you're considering pipes, I recommend dragonface. We get them eating Nutrimar OVA easiest)

-various cardinals

Fish to avoid:

-All wrasses (except possum)

-all tangs

-all obvious (puffers, triggers, lions, etc.)

Keep in mind that this is just my experience and I am no "expert". This has and continues to work for us at our store due to the massive amount of time we spend on our horses.

Also, if you're getting a male, look up how to do a pouch evacuation now. Better to educate yourself on the problem incase it ever arises, cause it sure as hell scared the crud out of me the one time I've had to do it so far. lol

Thanks a bunch! do you think a 20 gal is enough?

Archived