Innovative Marine Aquariums

Best sump design in a tall cube tank?

Sailfish

My next tank will be a 24 gallon mixed reef cube.

I will have room in the stand for a sump measuring max 14x15x19".

I have been thinking to use my current 11x11x13.5" tank as the sump in the new system.

What design would you guys think is the best in a sump with these measurements?

Or would you rather buy a new tank with measurements closer to the 14x15" surface area and maybe not as tall?

This is my little ghetto drawing of the sump/fuge Im going to setup in a 15g tall, or maybe even in a 10g I have.

sumpfuge.png

Want to run the AquaticLife 115 mini skimmer (up to 30g) in the return chamber after the fuge and two block filters. Super cheap to setup too this way.

This is my little ghetto drawing of the sump/fuge Im going to setup in a 15g tall, or maybe even in a 10g I have.

sumpfuge.png

Want to run the AquaticLife 115 mini skimmer (up to 30g) in the return chamber after the fuge and two block filters. Super cheap to setup too this way.

This is close to what I have been thinking of, but I would rather tee off the return and plumb a line to the refugium with a ball valve so that I may control the flow through it. This would mean switching the location of refugium and return chamber. Also, I think I would place the skimmer in the return chamber in such a design.

Don't know what I think about the block filters. Haven't read or heard much about them.

Big skimmer > small fuge. I vote as much room as possible for a real skimmer and maybe a small GFO reactor.

I currently have a modified Tunze Comline 9002 DOC Nano skimmer, which is rated up to 200L.

I hope this will be big enough. The Tunze Nano skimmer is also very slimlined and should not require much room.

I agree with having enough room for a GFO reactor. This would only need to be big enough for a submersible pump though, and then just elevate the reactor chamber over the sump (eg. secure it to the cabinet wall).

Would it be any point in adding a DSB of oolite sand, in the refugium section of a refugium with such a small footprint?

• 1 year later...

Big skimmer > small fuge. I vote as much room as possible for a real skimmer and maybe a small GFO reactor.

Is this skimmer big enough for ya? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ztqgbjTa7Y

Unfortunately, the Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer does not leave much room in my sump for other things. After adding a filter sock with bracket (full siphon drain line) and the return pump, I only have a 344mm X 77mm X 287mm (13.5"x3"x11.3") compartment left for either a small fuge or top off reservoir.

What do you guys think?

A good layer of Miracle Mud/Refugium Mud and some macro algae, a DIY algae scrubber, or top off reservoir with a lid?

Archived