Cultivated Reef

If you had to pick only ONE substrate for a 10 gallon

Hexadron

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can sleep well knowing 80's babies won't get nostalgic for the arcade when they see your tank.

Haha I am an 80's baby too! Uh and this is kind of creepy, but we share the same B-Day! :lol:

SeahawkReefer

Figi Pink... nice grain size... won't get blown around like smaller particle sand and looks nice... not too fine, not too coarse, just right...

• 2 weeks later...

Seaflor Special Grade, its my choice after tried Fuji pink, aragamax select in my 5 gallon and 17 gallon sps tanks. Special grade may look corse but actually small enough for sand sifting gobies and won't blow easily with MP10 in high flow tank. I also like I can siphon sand bed without sand been siphon out because grain are heavy enough.

• 2 weeks later...
santacreekfurrows

I like the Fiji Pink I just put in my tank, I also used some crushed coral, coarser stuff, as well as the finer grained crushed coral sand, on top of that I layered some really sugar fine aragonite sand starting at one end of the tank and tapering off to nothing. On the other end of the tank I used the Fiji Pink, tapering off just past the middle of the tank... so far I like it, there were some swirls of sand until it all settled into little dunes where it wanted to be... mostly the super fine stuff moved around, the rest stayed put. If I was doing another from the start, I'd use the fine grained crushed coral sand (mine was from Top Fin I think), and top off with just a small layer of the Fiji pink.... Those are the two I like best, and they are almost the same grain size, just the Fiji Pink has extra stuff in it, and some pink...

I still have some of the fine sand left, actually quite a bit. I think I will use it in some more DIY rock....

Hope you like what you end up with as a final result... seems most people like a 1-3mm average, similar to what's in the Fiji Pink...

I like the Fiji Pink I just put in my tank, I also used some crushed coral, coarser stuff, as well as the finer grained crushed coral sand, on top of that I layered some really sugar fine aragonite sand starting at one end of the tank and tapering off to nothing. On the other end of the tank I used the Fiji Pink, tapering off just past the middle of the tank... so far I like it, there were some swirls of sand until it all settled into little dunes where it wanted to be... mostly the super fine stuff moved around, the rest stayed put. If I was doing another from the start, I'd use the fine grained crushed coral sand (mine was from Top Fin I think), and top off with just a small layer of the Fiji pink.... Those are the two I like best, and they are almost the same grain size, just the Fiji Pink has extra stuff in it, and some pink...

I still have some of the fine sand left, actually quite a bit. I think I will use it in some more DIY rock....

Hope you like what you end up with as a final result... seems most people like a 1-3mm average, similar to what's in the Fiji Pink...

Thanks for the reply santa :P

I ended up choosing Fiji Pink as it seems to be widely used here with great success among reefers. My tank is still cycling (you can check my build by clicking on my sig) but as for sandstorms, you are absolutely right on. None really. maybe a small vortex, but them it settles down and it's all good. I love the natural "dunes" that take place after as well :)

My mp10 blew my oolite around when I set the tank up. I've read it takes a little bit of time for bacteria to help bind the oolite down but I ended up changing it out to the Fiji Pink. The oolite looked great but I'm very pleased with my change.

Haha! Just like my fish post a while back! Yes i know this question has been asked a bazillion times, but I would prefer feedback from current members. :)

Okay so after making a trip to the LFS I purchased CaribSea Arag-Alive Bimini Pink (0.5-5mm) I had it in my head that it was Fiji Pink, and was disappointed after I looked it up. The grain size looks quite small in the bag, but upon closer inspection has a slew of quite large particles which doesn't look the best.

Very true. The sand itself in that mix is great, but it has a ton of small pink rocks mixed in. They were/are a pain.

Be glad you didn't do the oolite. I actually chose that initially and what a mistake for a small tank. I couldn't even clean the glass without a terrible sand storm covering everything. I liked the looks of it, but not worth it. I ended up scooping it out and replacing it with the fiji pink and couldn't be happier. Hopefully your Bimini will work out! I'm sure it will be fine.

Very true. The sand itself in that mix is great, but it has a ton of small pink rocks mixed in. They were/are a pain.

Ya it looked so much smaller in the bag. I didn't actually open it yet. It's too late to return it, I was thinking of keeping it for a side project or something later on down the road. Maybe an office tank in the future...

Be glad you didn't do the oolite. I actually chose that initially and what a mistake for a small tank. I couldn't even clean the glass without a terrible sand storm covering everything. I liked the looks of it, but not worth it. I ended up scooping it out and replacing it with the fiji pink and couldn't be happier. Hopefully your Bimini will work out! I'm sure it will be fine.

I am after all the horror stories i've heard. Fiji Pink seems to be the perfect substitute. Still smal and fine, yet large enough not to be a tank blizzard :P

Well like I mentioned above, I didn't use the Bimini, but instead bough Fiji Pink. I'll see if I ever use the Bimini in a future project though. Maybe it's not that bad. I can't seem to find anyone that uses it across the forums. Just not popular I guess..

I love Tropic Eden Reef Flakes from premium aquatics. It's a great looking sand, I was smiling just cleaning it. :)
I have that sand and loved it in the beginning. But for some reason it gets covered with coralline in no time. You had this problem?

Ya it looked so much smaller in the bag. I didn't actually open it yet. It's too late to return it, I was thinking of keeping it for a side project or something later on down the road. Maybe an office tank in the future...

I am after all the horror stories i've heard. Fiji Pink seems to be the perfect substitute. Still smal and fine, yet large enough not to be a tank blizzard :P

Well like I mentioned above, I didn't use the Bimini, but instead bough Fiji Pink. I'll see if I ever use the Bimini in a future project though. Maybe it's not that bad. I can't seem to find anyone that uses it across the forums. Just not popular I guess..

I have been slowly running mine through a mesh filter (the ones people use for cooking with). The big rocks are steadily going away.

I have been slowly running mine through a mess filter (the ones people use for cooking with). The big rocks are steadily going away.

I was thinking of doing that, but was like "Screw it" and just bought the Fiji Pink. That's a good idea though. I'm not even crazy about the pink bits in Fiji pink :rolleyes: and think about slowly removing that haha.

I like uniform sand, what can I say? :ninja:

lakshwadeep

I bought Fiji Pink for my ADA 60F (~9 gallons), and I have to put my mp10 very low to avoid the sand blowing. IMO, this sand is too fine if you have strong water flow.

I'm still playing with positioning my mp10 to avoid sandstorms as well. Funny thing is a few days back I mraised it higher thinking it wouldn't disturb the bed as much, and I was completely wrong! It's worse...

I'm still playing with positioning my mp10 to avoid sandstorms as well. Funny thing is a few days back I mraised it higher thinking it wouldn't disturb the bed as much, and I was completely wrong! It's worse...

I'll be interested in what you find out. If I ever get the moolah, I'll be grabbing one of those for my tank too. Right now I'm running two Hydor Pico's with the Hydor Flow attachment and all is well for the time being with my return pump pushing water too.

I'll be interested in what you find out. If I ever get the moolah, I'll be grabbing one of those for my tank too. Right now I'm running two Hydor Pico's with the Hydor Flow attachment and all is well for the time being with my return pump pushing water too.

I'm going to try to reposition it tonight or tomorrow a bit lower. I'll report my results. The good thing is i'm getting flow everywhere in the tank :P

I'm going to try to reposition it tonight or tomorrow a bit lower. I'll report my results. The good thing is i'm getting flow everywhere in the tank :P

That definitely seems to be the big selling point with those. Good thing with the price. B)

• 2 years later...

A lighter sand reflects more light so your tank looks brighter and your corals benefit from the extra light, too. Does anybody know what the difference is between the CaribSea Arag-alive and the Aragamax alive? I'm getting ready to set up a tank and I've decided to go with pink but saw it came in both choices. Is there more critters and good bacteria in the Aragamax?

I set up my new tank with CaribSea "Special Grade". I bought some of the Arag-alive and some of the regular non-live reef sand. Very uniform in size, just large enough to barely move but not cloud when the wavemaker is turned up. It's taken about 2 days for me to notice any shift in the sand floor shape from being blown around. Really perfect sand imo.

Archived