Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

37 Column Build Lit by Maxspect R420R

kveekx

Hey NanoReef! This is my third reef tank I will be doing in a year, BioCube 14 to BioCube 29 to this 37 Column! I like the looks of the biocube but I was tired of mods and I want a tank that is EXACTLY how I want it. Thats how this 37 Column was born! I custom build the stand and that turned out much better than I thought and when I bought the tank I was lucky enough for there to be a canopy/skirt that almost was the same stain as the stand! And on to the build!
2/23/12:

photo-3-1_zpsb5febc80.jpg

BBF9FB60-B124-46A8-AD9D-B14A6B7BCC35-178

Equiptment:
Maxspect Razor 20.5" 16000k
(2)125w Jager Heaters
Marineland Penguin 200(Soon to go when I figure something else out)
CPR Mini Reactor Running GFO
Tunze 9004 Skimmer
MP10

Livestock:
Fish:
(2) Snowflake Clowns

SPS:
Blue Millepora
ATL Cherry Red Millepora
Blue Staghorn
Tricolor Acropora
Electric Green Slimer Acropora
Green/Yellow Millepora
Birds of Paradise Birdsnest
Orange Montipora
ORA Green Poccilipora

LPS:
Green Plate
Green/Tan Frogspawn
Green/Purple Frogspawn
Blue/Green Acan
Red/Blue Acan
Joker Favia
Maroon/Gold Torch
Red/Green War Coral
Miami Hurricane Chalice
ECC Watermelon Hybrid Chalice
Purple Hammer

Softies:
Red People Eater Palys
Eagle Eye Zoas
Paradise Zoas
Fruit loop Zoas
Sunny D Palys
Red Hornet Zoas
Purple Hornet Zoas
Valentines day massacre palys
Blonde Blue Eye B###### Zoas
Captin America Palys
Blue Orgasm Zoas
Orange Ric
Blue Ric
Green Ric

The magic of a screw driver and hammer!

1607E53A-51B2-4CD2-9074-310C00FCC3FD-423

Hopefully I can raise them about 4" higher bu using these 3 rocks from my BC29

C5F740E6-92D9-4649-A8AE-0B3769838EF6-423

• 2 weeks later...

I havent updated in a while but here is a sum up! I bought a Tunze 9004 and a Marineland penguin for filtration. I plan to add a GFO reactor if I ever need one. I re thought out my scape and made one with a fiberglass rod, I think it turned out awesome! And I transferred every thing over today.

Here are some pics of important stuff..

09BC39E3-662D-4721-BB1B-1AA99957F7F3-1229DE5E6CC-B9F4-48FC-9A97-9DB73650FD06-352504E5C75-7B0F-4BBC-A8EB-FCC055B72E23-81535FB6D2A-2ADA-40E9-B9BA-53D6641C4855-734B90CBEE7-4EAD-4638-9221-2C1AF621DC09-670

I will post more Tuesday evening!

Deleted User 4

Haha well that too... There is no way of converting you huh?

What? Converting me?

Brother, I never said I hated razor....I did however say I hated kessils ahah.

If there wasn't Ai in this world, I would probably have gone with the razor!!!

But for now, I'm still an Ai fanboy ahha. I like the razor's too, no kidding.

• Like 2

They are all pretty great. As long as the corals are happy and the reefer is getting what he/she wants out of it that's all that matters. :)

I'm not going to lie, I wouldn't have thought a Razor would have worked well on this type of tank, but seems like a perfect fit - Literally!

• Like 2
Deleted User 4

They are all pretty great. As long as the corals are happy and the reefer is getting what he/she wants out of it that's all that matters. :) I'm not going to lie, I wouldn't have thought a Razor would have worked well on this type of tank, but seems like a perfect fit - Literally!

Razor would be best at long shallow tanks in my opinion though.

Imagine one over a 60f....that'll be awesome.

Ohhhh, I love column tanks!

I would have recommended you sump this bad boy somehow, since columns have so little space to mount things on them, but your overflow is pretty cool, will be interesting to see how it works for you - hopefully very well... :)

Oh, and nice job with the lighting! B)

Thanks everyone! I would have to agree that the razor would be a little better on a shallow but it works great for now. I plan to monts my corals all over the rock tomarrow and work on getting rid of common stuff I dont want because the space is so limited! So far this tank is awesome!

Ohhhh, I love column tanks! I would have recommended you sump this bad boy somehow, since columns have so little space to mount things on them, but your overflow is pretty cool, will be interesting to see how it works for you - hopefully very well... :) Oh, and nice job with the lighting! B)
Never sumped a tank and I dont care to try on this one because the biggest footprint I can fit in my DIY stand is 12x12... Not worth it for me! Maby if I get a 90 or rimless 75 sometime down the road I definately will, but not on this tank.
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Heres a quick update. I had the tank going good for 2 weeks and then some odd algae showed up all over the glass. 5 days ago I bought some GFO and a CPR nano reactor. Around 75% of the algae is gone now! I also got some free frags from the guy that bought my Biocube 29. They were an Electric Green Slimer, Blue Staghorn, Tricolor, and Blue milli. I will post my first non cloudy FTS tomarrow. I am currently working on the live stock list right now!

Mr. Microscope

37 Column! Yes!!! This is one of my favorite tanks. 'Love your pillar BTW! That scape is going to fill in well. Subscribed!

37 Column! Yes!!! This is one of my favorite tanks. 'Love your pillar BTW! That scape is going to fill in well. Subscribed!

Thanks I cant wait either! I just need to add some more SPS when I have my filteration perfect!

Great FTS! Glad your algae issue is solved.

Thanks! The algae isnt completely under control either though.. The GFO hit it pretty hard but I recently figured out it is bryopsis so I am doing the Tech-M treatment to get it out! Im just happy it isnt on my rocks!!

Since I feel my filteration isnt perfect I plan to add a sump soon, here's what I have in mind.ScreenShot2013-02-25at73628PM_zps901f74d

Mr. Microscope

If there's room in your stand, I'd reccomend going a little bigger. Looks like you'll only have about five gallons in there when it's running. This has been the number one issue with my tank; the sump is too small.

If there's room in your stand, I'd reccomend going a little bigger. Looks like you'll only have about five gallons in there when it's running. This has been the number one issue with my tank; the sump is too small.

I would love to do a larger sump but I cant because the opening to my stand is only 12". Thanks for the suggestion though.. I may make it a bit wider but I dont really know how big of a difference 16" to 18" would make. Im just happy Ill be able to get a sump down there! I also need room for 2 part containers, ATO, and all the equipment.

Mr. Microscope

Assuming you've got about 8 inches of water in there, going from 14 to 18 inches at 12 inches wide will give you about 1.67 additional gallons (231 in2 = 1 gallon) , not to mention more space for equipment. It's not a huge amount of added water, but every little bit helps. With an additional 4 inches of space you could put a TLF 150 Phosban reactor in there.

Assuming you've got about 8 inches of water in there, going from 14 to 18 inches at 12 inches wide will give you about 1.67 additional gallons (231 in2 = 1 gallon) , not to mention more space for equipment. It's not a huge amount of added water, but every little bit helps. With an additional 4 inches of space you could put a TLF 150 Phosban reactor in there.

Good point, about the phosban reactor, the clear thing with the black top is my cpr reactor that I run gfo in but I may want that extra space for a reactor to run biopellets!

I've been considering a second reactor myself. Be careful with those biopelet things though.

Yeah, I know.. Im not going to even try until I do lots of research!

Archived