Top Shelf Aquatics

CHEAP LED brands

sowilo2

Hello all,

I really want to upgrade my 20 gallon reef tank to a LED light. I'm looking for suggestions of specific brand names/models that are under $200 and would work for a 20 gallon reef tank. Thanks!

• Like 1

Is it a 20H or a 20L? Julian beat me to it... :ninja:

You could go with a pair of Par38's (90 degree lenses), or you could go with the "value fixture" from ReefBreeders.

The Par38's would need lamp fixtures to mount them, and the reefBreeders fixture would need hung, which might bring you over your threshold.

Ninga, lol, ive only used t5 and metal halide on my tank, thinking about the value fixture for my 20 long build but was wondering about coverage and quality,

any advice

sorry to jack thread OP,

if your still there

For a 20L it may be a little short on the coverage for the ends of the tank (I think the fixture is only 16", and it's spread may not be enough for 30"...), but maybe some others that have used them (I have only seen them in use - I don't have one myself) can chime in. You can also contact ReefBreeders and see what they recommend - maybe it will work if it is hung somewhat higher over the tank?

They also have a 24" model with a built-in controller, but that is more expensive too... :(

Ninga, lol, ive only used t5 and metal halide on my tank, thinking about the value fixture for my 20 long build but was wondering about coverage and quality,

any advice

sorry to jack thread OP,

if your still there

I have 6 gu10 sitting on my desk right now,

playing around with them and Im not sure if i like the coloration

OP look at the GU10 thread FNARD posted,

I have 6 gu10 sitting on my desk right now,

playing around with them and Im not sure if i like the coloration

OP look at the GU10 thread FNARD posted,

Using "cool" blue and cool white only will not give the best color IMO...

yeah, i picked up 2 cool white and 4 Blue, didnt like the mixing ,

just posted on the gu10 thread to see what the experts recommend

Using "cool" blue and cool white only will not give the best color IMO...

+1 Haven't used the gu10 personally, but I did contemplate at 1 time. Just think you'd like to give it a read over and make your own decision. Could also add supplemental lighting for coloring later.

im using d120s from evergrow. they were under 200 each with optics and customized. i chose what colors went where.

evergrow makes reefbreeders for them, although if you don't want to mess with the led layout selections like a lot of people the reefbreeders layout is very nice.

Archived