Innovative Marine Aquariums

First Timer! Aqueon 15G Column Build

D3RSK

If you're going to use a piece of PVC to build a center column, you could attach a water pump to the bottom, then drill holes throughout the pvc pipe to create random(ish) flow through the entire column. I haven't tested it as a theory, but i imagine done correctly you could pretty much make the flow any way you wanted.

post-72990-0-43892200-1357090414.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

going to switch out my aqueon 500gph for a koralia nano 240. luckily they havent shipped my order yet.

Thanks for the advice.

Changed the order, actually ordered from a different site since the first one's customer service sucks.

Ordered a Turbelle® nanostream® 6015, along with a few more goodies.

The nanostream has pretty good reviews I think you will be happy.

Just so you know though, my current setup has 2 Koralia Nano 425s running constant, AND an Aquaclear 110 running full blast. That is over 1150 GPH pumping through the tank and I have no issues with any of my corals or sand kicking up. It's all about placement. The only reason I am getting an MP10 is, well, they kick @$$... And the 2 koralias are an eyesore.

in time im sure i'll upgrade.

I went with the tunze system so I can integrate a wave controller and second unit when its time for me to put in some corals and livestock. For now the one powerhead will do.

You got it, one step at a time. It always helps to spread the cost out over time, makes it SEEM less expensive ;)

Still haven't seen any pics though...

You got it, one step at a time. It always helps to spread the cost out over time, makes it SEEM less expensive ;)

Still haven't seen any pics though...

Aquarium is just sitting out of the box, I'll post a pic soonish once I get the water and sand into the tank. I don't have any of my testing paraphernalia yet, so I'm a little hesitant to fill up the tank.

The nanostream has pretty good reviews I think you will be happy.

Just so you know though, my current setup has 2 Koralia Nano 425s running constant, AND an Aquaclear 110 running full blast. That is over 1150 GPH pumping through the tank and I have no issues with any of my corals or sand kicking up. It's all about placement. The only reason I am getting an MP10 is, well, they kick @$$... And the 2 koralias are an eyesore.

How do you not get the sand to kick up?! My ac30 on half is a monster in my ten gallon.

Tank in final position

New goodies

Pics!

New goodies arrived today:

• API Reef Master Test Kit
  • Eheim Heater
  • Tunze 6015 nanostream
  • TrueLumen 12,000K LED Moonlight
  • Coralife Actinic Bluelight (for my T5 stock hood, for now)

Just waiting for my refractometer to get here, probably a good idea to have that before i mix the water, no?

Yeah unless you know someone who has something to measure salinity. I lucked out in that my hydrometer is spot on. I do still wonder if the stock light with some leds would be enough for low light corals what you have there looks pretty good.

Hopefully the refractometer arrives soon. I'd like to get things up and running....Also I will most likely be going with the stock lighting with some LED moon lights....as the T5 bulb that i bought is to small :blink: (thats what i get for guestimating the size of the bulb)

How do you not get the sand to kick up?! My ac30 on half is a monster in my ten gallon.

In my 10 I have rock under the AC30 discharge, breaks up the flow and doesn't stir the sand. An HOB filter stirring the sand in OP's 15g column won't be a problem.

I'm pretty sure the stock bulb is a NO T5, not good for much of anything. There is a guy on youtube who is apparantly having success with the stock bulb and some LED stunner strips.

I have the same moonlight and it gives a nice glow to the tank but it is not very good for viewing. I will post some pics of my light as promised sometime today, maybe around lunchtime....

Location, Location, Location.

One powerhead was positioned lower left pointing up and center, the other placed upper right pointing down and center. The AC110 pretty much flows over the entire tank, but all the flow sort of hits in the middle. But now I have an MP10, which I am still tuning in...

Definitely a T5 bulb...

Pretty much a manufacturer specific bulb then...I can't seem to find any 12" T5 bulbs on the web anywhere...at least ones that are good for a marine setup.

I am pretty sure that the T5 18 watt daylight bulb that comes with the 20" hood from Deep Blue Professional is 12" long. However it is not very good, that is what was on my 10 when I bought it and I don't recommend it. It will never penetrate deep enough and the color is blah.

Here are some pics of my LED's and the custom work that kevinlogan42 did. Not the best pics, but it will help you get an idea. I have more detailed pics of the AC110 if you ever wanted to go that route as well...

Lights2_zps278f9fd6.jpg

Lights5_edited-1_zpsf1c92d88.jpg

Lights9_zps3695bc24.jpg

Lights7_zps18016b25.jpg

Lights11_zps268d1a91.jpg

AC110FilterMod6_zpsa7a246f2.jpg

AC110FilterMod7_edited-1_zps106f1fc0.jpg

Nice, is there a power driver/ballast in there for the LED's?

I see 2 fans, 7 blue, 3 white and a red LED setup...that's plenty of light I'm assuming?

And my refractometer won't be here until the 10th at the earliest...not happy about that. I'll scour the LPS's for a hydrometer so I can hopefully get at least the water and sand in by monday and get it going.

There is actually a violet LED as well. I need to replace that and a white, they are very dim.

Everything is powered by a single driver. If you go with DIY I would really recommend emailing RapidLED. They will walk you through it step by step...

Plenty of light and the full spectrum look is amazing...

I've seen the solderless LED's...that's a little easier to trust.

I'm decent with wires and crimps and such, but not much soldering experience.

• Like 1

Got my tank setup today.

Everything seems to be running smooth, even went and got the live rock.

I scored an old 1/2 clam turned into rock...its pretty sweet.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

Still figuring out how I want to scape the tank. I'm thinking that I might be drilling and PVC pipe to create the effect I want...any other ways to get rock to stay ontop of eachother?

Archived