Pod Your Reef

Custom 6.5 Gallon Pillar System Build

jaynkeel

Boy I wish I would have seen this product before the build. This would have worked perfect for a closed loop system with my build. I would have wrapped this around the pvc overflow pipe in the center of the rock pillar and had extra flow coming though the rock. Looks like a future revision or an additional tank setup like this. Perhaps I will redo my 65 gallon cube one of these days incorporating this.

lockline.jpg

Made by lockline 24 inches long with multiple jets along the length. Well if anyone gets inspired by my build and does similar definitely look into this product.

Well diatoms have come and almost gone tank is humming along really well. I have also added some tv's to the build and being the first time using them wow what a difference, especially at nighttime by themselves. On the bad side my 65 gallon lights have taken a dump. I will never again use a cheap led heatsink without splash guard. The salt creep just destroyed my leds and every connection even at 6" off the water with no splashing it manged to get up there. I noticed it a while ago but was holding out and trying to make it till the end of the month, looks like that didn't happen. And the only extra light I have is a screw in 6500k led that barely makes it too the bottom. Keeping my fingers crossed that my corals make it through the low wattage for a few days till my new heatsink gets here. Seems crap always happens on the weekend and most companies use ups for their lowest shipping option which doesnt do regular deliveries on the weekends. Which is why I always choose usps whenever possible. And it would figure I just threw out my older 150 watt halide a few months ago I was sick of moving the ballast out of my way all the time, the old gearbox style which weighs about 30 lbs. Anyone near Lockport Ny that has an extra light for rent?

Father in law to the rescue. He had a ho t5 36" fixture for me to borrow for the time being. Looks a little silly on a 24" cube but hey it works.

One more day till my heatsink is here. This has been a long 7 days for sure. What also adds to the rush is 6 days from now I will be in an operating room with my back wide open once more. Just a peachy time for #### to stop working, and things to take their time getting here...... I placed my order with john @ reefcleaners as always and will post up some pictures once my cleanup crew get to work. It is a bit brown n ugly right now. I do have a little brush I have been using on the rock though everyday just giving the rocks a quick hit to dislodge the diatoms and let them go into my sock. And I have a few critters from my other tank in there on loan for now.

Boy I wish I would have seen this product before the build. This would have worked perfect for a closed loop system with my build. I would have wrapped this around the pvc overflow pipe in the center of the rock pillar and had extra flow coming though the rock. Looks like a future revision or an additional tank setup like this. Perhaps I will redo my 65 gallon cube one of these days incorporating this.

lockline.jpg

Made by lockline 24 inches long with multiple jets along the length. Well if anyone gets inspired by my build and does similar definitely look into this product.

I used one of these on a previous tank build, it's a cool piece.

All I can say is wow what a difference these ocean coral white bulbs make!!! After using my simple royal blue and cool white mix the last few yrs I am truly amazed. I know what I need to add to this build now ( Yes I used those bulbs on my 65 gallon cube). Pictures will be coming soon now that I have my cleanup crew hard @ work just a few more days.

I used one of these on a previous tank build, it's a cool piece.

How was the flow? Any pics on how you used it?

I used it on a 30g custom AIO tank. I hooked it up to a MJ900 and used it for the return flow from behind the false wall. It was wound throughout the large rock structure on the left here:

IMG_5232.jpg

If you look closely you can see it just under the arch and behind the Green Toadstool.

I did like the flow.

Man seems like this is the most relentless diatom bloom ever, just wants to keep hangin on. Not a full blown mess but not yet pretty either. That is the one thing I have noticed over the years using dead rock vs live rock. But building a structure like what I did would have been pretty hard with live rock. Gonna do a w/c tonight should help with any excess nutrients. I am in such a bad need of a new r.o. filter for cycling this tank I had to use pretty much straight water from the tap as 4 houses on the street in the last couple of months have had sewer work done to them stiring up all sorts of sediment in the lines and pluging my filters. But our water is pretty good round here usually, and have ran several tanks in the past with no problems even off of regular tap water. But for this water change I just did the easy and picked up some ro water. It's only been a few weeks now so I really shouldn't be #####ing too much lol....

Ok went digging behind my live rock in my big tank and found lots of new frags for the new tank. Got about 5 different zoa frags about the size of a penny each, 2 gsp frags about the size of a quarter, and 1 large toadstool along with 2 baby toadstools, and some kind of sps thats been chilling under a ledge ever since falling there about 6 months ago. Every thing is open and doing great been in there a few days now, except my glue didn't hold one frag and it's now mia, and a shame because they were some nice pretty zoos. As usual will take pics soon.

• 2 years later...

Damn I can't believe it's been 3 years since this build!. Time flies that's for sure. Well to anyone still out there that remembers it, it is still up and running. About a year ago I sold off all my coral in hopes of a move that didn't happen....Yet. But I am tired of looking at a tank with nothing more than crabs n snails in it. So I am gonna restart this one and have it be themed as a Florida mangrove reef. Same pillar just all tangled up with roots and all the critters that go along including some small corals, and fish. Ideas welcome as always. Will update soon.

Well I had some mangroves shipped to me from sunny Florida. But the shipper decided to send them 1st class, which in spring or summer might not be bad. But they ended up sitting somewhere for at least 3 days in transit here to just north of Buffalo NY. Which it's been like -15 + windchills. So when they arrived they weren't frozen but I am not getting my hopes up to much. So far one has died, will see about the rest.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been 2 weeks now and 4 out of the 10 seemed to have made it. Will update with pics soon, just waiting for them to perk up some more..

Archived