Pod Your Reef

Algae eating fish for a nano-reef

lohitha

Perhaps we have discussed this topic before. I just want to collate a list of algae eating fishes suitable for a nano-reef about 30 gallons.. This is my list. Please feel free to add more. Not in any particular order. Of course I will skip the tangs because tangs are not for nano reefs.

1. Hector's goby

Pros: Beautiful fish. Stays small. Does not go after coral.

Cons: Feeding may be a problem once algae is gone. Some can be shy.

2. Reinford goby:

Same as above

3. Tailspot blenny:

Pros: Another beauty. Stays small. Does not go after coral.

Cons: None yet.

4. Bi-color blenny:

Pros: Looks good. Stays relatively small.

Cons: Can go after SPS and some fleshy coral.

5. Lawnmower blenny:

Pros: Eats algae when small

Cons: Not colorful. Gets too big. Becomes lazy when old.

6. Freshwater Molly

Pros: Cheap.

Cons: You need to acclimate to salt water.

Please add your selection for algae controlling fish for a mixed nano reef. We can perhaps keep this list going. Thanks!

Yes mollies do eat alot of algae. Not hard to aclimate really, I drip acclimated mine, treated it like a water hangs as it did take almost two gallons out of my ten gallon when I first started it. That said, years past I use to feed baby and small mollies to lions and the ones that didn't get eaten right away survived no problem, not one lost with out being eaten. Not that I would recommend doing that to something you want as an addition to the tank.

Blennies are good choices. You might also think about a dwarf angel (specifically a cherub, Centropyge argi). Hector's/Rainford's gobies are bad choices because they won't make a significant dent on any algae. They really shouldn't be on the list.

Archived