ReefCleaners.org

Ballhog's 34 Solana

ballhog

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad Day, My Randall's Goby jumped. Had it for about, 3 months or so. Very shy and was always hiding. For the first month, whenever I would come into room it would hide. Although last month or so it was becoming more friendly. My GSM is just such a puss*, just not sure what would make him jump, besides that the Solana is so tall and I have a 2" frame around the top. He was pointed in the direction of the fridge so I'm guessing the only thing that could make something jump that high would be beer. I'll pour some out for him later.

I'm not going to add any other fish to the tank, I think the GSM is enough.

8493277550_c19154106d_c.jpg

Sad Day, My Randall's Goby jumped. Had it for about, 3 months or so. Very shy and was always hiding. For the first month, whenever I would come into room it would hide. Although last month or so it was becoming more friendly. My GSM is just such a puss*, just not sure what would make him jump, besides that the Solana is so tall and I have a 2" frame around the top. He was pointed in the direction of the fridge so I'm guessing the only thing that could make something jump that high would be beer. I'll pour some out for him later.

I'm not going to add any other fish to the tank, I think the GSM is enough.

8493277550_c19154106d_c.jpg

poor some out for him lol, gansta

i love your aquascape

Nice setup. I used to run a Solana and loved it. Is the mp10 giving you enough flow? I'm in the process of setting up a 32 gallon and I'm not sure if I want 1 or 2 mp10s

Yeah, 1 mp10 is enough flow. The vortech is just not durable in the long term. I replaced the bearings a while back and have noticed it's sound level is slowly increasing. The bearings on them will always wear out causing noise, its just the way they its designed. Since my tank is just off my living room I can't stand the groaning the vortech makes. In tank power heads like Tunze or Sicce don't have these types of bearings to wear out.

I know Vortech is a hugely popular, I just dont understand why, long term its not a durable as a Tunze that has no bearings to go bad. The vortech doesn't add heat to the tank, but we are heating our tanks anyway, it makes sense to put the motor in the tank to reduce the energy required by the heater. I guess the main feature is the vortechs adjustably, which for the cost is very nice over Tunze, because the Tunze controller is pricey. However if I am constantly swapping bearings and have to listen to the noise I think the extra cost of the Tunze is worth it,

So yeah, I'm in the process of switching from the Vortech to something else ether Tunze or Sicce. I purchased a Sicce Voyager to try, its very large, but dead silent. I'm going to pickup a Tunze this week to try out.

• 5 months later...

9441031474_5e49c5d789_c.jpg

9440975304_882d471b1c_c.jpg9440977372_26425e6caf_c.jpg9440979522_8ed9863577_c.jpg9438204809_d9da3f70f1_c.jpg

9441001718_fcb47f84e8_c.jpg

A few update shots. I have simplified my setup allot. Only running Floss and carbon. Sold the MP10, picked up a Mini Polario 7ML, excellent for adding flow, almost completely silent.

Deleted User 4

Damn, that gold stripped maroon!! Is one sweet looking fish. I just got myself a small one not too long ago.

Hopefully mine gets as great as yours!! Was yours this orange before it matured?

IMG_5614_zps5461b60f.jpg

IMG_5568_zps21b83ecb.jpg

Yeah, I still have the Anemone. It's not doing great.

Great Pictures lllu, what type of camera?

My GSM is about 7 years old now, she has always been a dark ruby red. The stripes have shrunk and the bright orange on the tips of her fins is now a very fine line.

Heres a picture from 2006.

ripmrclean2uv4.jpg

Deleted User 4

Yeah, it's a canon s95.. but my gawd, your gsm is beautiful ahah. I love that orange ring, and the dark maroon is intense!!

I come home today, checking out the tank and notice my Coco worm in the mouth of the cleaner shrimp.

9452989861_67704ee644_c.jpg

9452987493_c6c7218393_c.jpg

As I'm clicking away, the shrimp starts to pull out the undigested Coco worm out of its mouth. Of course once he pulls it out he starts munching on the worm again. Out of the blue my clown comes over like, get out of my way bitch, grabs the Coco worm, attempts to eat it real quick, then jams it into the anemone. I'm standing there like, wtf just happen.

My theory of the death and dismemberment of Coco the Coco worm is the GSM pulled the worm out of its tube, which is when the shrimp attempted to swallow the worm, which is where I stated watching the freak show that unfolded.

This makes sense since last week I moved the Coco because the clown would not leave it alone.

Here a picture of the GSM attacking Coco.

9440981592_7d00f76fa4_c.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My frogspawn and Xenia grow good, the sebae anemone seems fine, on the other hand the BTA I just added shrunk right up after 2 wks. I don't get it. I've checked my parameters and they seem fine. I'm always on top of my water changes. My thought is the frogspawn maybe just to large for the tank and doing some type of chemical warfare or my GSM is just loving them to death. The last anemone was a decent size 4-5" BTA and my GSM almost immediately started hosting it. I didn't think my GSM was that rough with it, but it didn't leave it alone until is shrunk up 2 weeks later.

Notice how the sand has hills, all done by my GSM.

Current

10527144736_003e16461b_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So I frag off this small peace of xenia the other day, no problem, pinch it between two rocks, glue the rocks. I'm good to go. A few days later the xenia is gone, no biggie. I lost it, could find it. Last night I find it jammed under the volley ball sized frogspawn coral. Hey not a problem. Lift up frogspawn, wait the xenia is suck......

So now I have to move the Frogspawn and scrape off the xenia from the rock. Then tragedy happens, the frogspawn slips and a huge piece breaks off. Both arms are in the tank, I have a razor to cut Xenia, tongs, I'm trying to hold onto the now broken off piece of Frogspawn without touching it, holding up the mother colony. This tragedy just gets worse. I have pieces of Frogspawn breaking off, 6 years of growth, just snapping off piece by piece. I'm sure my clown must have heard the screaming of the frogspawn as its branches are being snapped off the mother colony . ARGH, . I know most wouldn't think of it as a problem having 15 frags of frogspawn. The frogspawn was just one of my original corals from when I started, it was huge, just such a shame, all those years of grown.

duncan-junkie

So I frag off this small peace of xenia the other day, no problem, pinch it between two rocks, glue the rocks. I'm good to go. A few days later the xenia is gone, no biggie. I lost it, could find it. Last night I find it jammed under the volley ball sized frogspawn coral. Hey not a problem. Lift up frogspawn, wait the xenia is suck......

So now I have to move the Frogspawn and scrape off the xenia from the rock. Then tragedy happens, the frogspawn slips and a huge piece breaks off. Both arms are in the tank, I have a razor to cut Xenia, tongs, I'm trying to hold onto the now broken off piece of Frogspawn without touching it, holding up the mother colony. This tragedy just gets worse. I have pieces of Frogspawn breaking off, 6 years of growth, just snapping off piece by piece. I'm sure my clown must have heard the screaming of the frogspawn as its branches are being snapped off the mother colony . ARGH, . I know most wouldn't think of it as a problem having 15 frags of frogspawn. The frogspawn was just one of my original corals from when I started, it was huge, just such a shame, all those years of grown.

I know how you feel......going into the tank to do one thing, then clumsy hands take hold and everything gets knocked over, broken, the new acro I just bought fell into the hammer coral, and now.... I'm furious!! Been there!! I try to keep my hands out, as much as possible, but as reef keepers...its in our nature to fiddle. I completely understand your frustration, and that frogspawn is a BEAST! Glue the frags down, and give it 5 more years! LOL, tank looks great btw

• 4 months later...

Frogspawn Palace

I have way too much frogspawn. Haven't done any changes to the tank. Sticking with my routine: I only run filter floss 1-2 days after I clean the tank. No supplements, no skimmer. 5-8 gal water changes every 1-2 weeks.

The torn up piece of xenia in the center is from when my GSM clown went to town on it, when it was to close to her hang out area.

K3HO1490.jpg

K3HO1467.jpg

K3HO1475.jpg

K3HO1508.jpg

Archived